Seriously.....

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
How bad is this?
rusty.jpg

This is the passenger side rear wheel of my '69 Dart. This is the worst of it, but I have no idea how far up into the quarter panel this crap goes, it ate clean through both sides as you can see through it. I despise body work and the upper corner by the tailight is damaged. How can I effectively diagnose what needs to be done? Is this a patch panel repair? Or should I get a whole new skin and farm the work out to a body shop?

Thoughts?

From the appearance, it looks as if you could do with a lower quarter patch panel..........should be welded on for the best job.

I've seen a lot worse........Don't see any bondo fallin' out there, so you're probably safe with a lower.

lol well....... it could be just there or the paint could be holding a lot of it to gether . you will have to sand it down to see how much is left of the old body . and eather put new panel in or fab your own .

It looks pretty solid above the rustout so take a grinder with some 80 grit and start about an inch up from the highest rust spot and stop when you find good metal that will be what needs patching. Then either get some sheet metal and make your own patch pannels, find another car and cut them out or find new ones and then spend twice the time doing the bodywork on the new ones just to make them fit right.
It's just metal!

Just make a patch from an old hood or door,use a mopar door or hood ,good metal!

No matter how you repair the rust its a good idea to address the cause (water leaks).

There is a black plastic plug with a dimple in the bottom inner quarter panel so water can drain out. Alot of times 30 years of dirt, pine needles and other crap fills up inbetween the inner and outer panel and then the rot starts. I always remove the plugs and hose out the area real good on every new car I get.

And really if the rust becomes a serious problem to you, let me know and I'll relieve of the poor thing! I am kidding you, of course....maybe

-
Back