Setting ride height on new suspension.

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have replaced all the bushings and joints with factory rubber style bushing. I have not tightened up the LCA pivot pins in the K frame yet. I have 10 revolutions on the T Bar adjustment bolts. Getting ready to install engine and trans. What's the best procedure to set the ride height? Thanks for any help! Al.
15758284028045833765727735607640.jpg

One thing for sure.....let it "settle". Sometimes you have to drive it around going over bumps before you know where it's actually going to sit/settle???

When I did mine I set it by the manual. Same as what you’re doing. I had the car all together including interior. Left pivot pins loose til it was set. Then torqued them. When I had the alignment done I asked them to double check and provided the specs as well as how to measure. Figured being on the rack would be more accurate.

well, it depends on the weight of the engine trans assy and the size of the t-bars, and your personal preference for stance. Generally, I think if you turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts so that the heads of the adjusting bolts are somewhere between flush with the bottom of the LCA's and proud by the height of the head of the bolt of the bottom of the LCA. it should be fairly close. Of course, don't final tighten the pivot pin nuts, until you've got it resting on all fours with everything installed and a 1/2 tank of fuel. Some people even include the driver sitting in the driver's seat.

So I can go ahead and install the engine and trans, ect and then jack the T bars up where I want them and then tighten down the pivot pin nuts and then have the alignment done ? Thats it ? Done deal ?

good info at the right time, just took all of my front suspension stuff out, didn't know about the pivot bolts. Any key on caster to start? I plan on doing my own alignment.

You may want to take the weight off of the tires if you are adjusting the height up. I did not and had no issues, but I’ve seen adjusters stripped when loaded with vehicle weight on them. But yes car all together. And don’t have the pivot pins sloppy loose but loose. As far as where you set height too far out one way or other on height, from stock, “may” create issues getting alignment right with the stock bushings etc.

With larger torsion bars I unweight the suspension to tighten the t-bar adjusting bolts. You will want the car basically ready to run. I'm doing mine now and I will get it close and drive it to the alignment shop.

You may want to take the weight off of the tires if you are adjusting the height up. I did not and had no issues, but I’ve seen adjusters stripped when loaded with vehicle weight on them. But yes car all together. And don’t have the pivot pins sloppy loose but loose. As far as where you set height too far out one way or other on height, from stock, “may” create issues getting alignment right with the stock bushings etc.
Personally, I put dollop of anti-sneeze on the rounded end of the adjuster bolt/"socket nut". Yeah, you can jack up and unload the suspension a little to assist with turning the adjuster bolt, but you have to keep stopping, and letting the car rest on all four tires, then pushing down on the bumper, jouncing the front suspension thru its travel, letting it settle by itself. You then wash and repeat until you get it where you want it. then torque the pivot nuts. The LCA bushings need to be tightened when they are in their neutral position, otherwise they will be under strain just sitting at rest, and will be overstressed when they are at the limits of travel, either jounce or rebound. If that is the case, they will die a premature death.

well, it depends on the weight of the engine trans assy and the size of the t-bars, and your personal preference for stance. Generally, I think if you turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts so that the heads of the adjusting bolts are somewhere between flush with the bottom of the LCA's and proud by the height of the head of the bolt of the bottom of the LCA. it should be fairly close. Of course, don't final tighten the pivot pin nuts, until you've got it resting on all fours with everything installed and a 1/2 tank of fuel. Some people even include the driver sitting in the driver's seat.
That would SLAM my Duster to the Ground!

-
Back