SFI roll cage padding.

-
The sfi part of roll cage padding is it won't turn liquid when your cars on fire and burn the ***** out ya. Probably hard because it will compress less at impact, pool **** at impact your helmet might crack , or skull and then track officials have to clean sick grey matter off the track no one wants that

I just wanna chime back in on this.

I have removed the "drivers compartment" and my entire cage building thinking has changed due to thinking about cages and heads hitting them.

If it's a street car. The cage is more dangerous than it is safe and or cool.
Do you have any pictures????

The car is built for 8.50 tech, does it run 8.50 now, no.

But there is steel bars 8 inches from the side of my head. So in any kinda side impact my head is fighting for space with a steel bar.

Was is the smartest decision I ever made to build the cage around the driver? Probably not but I do want to to survive a crash at 150MPH at the strip and still not die in a 30 MPH crash on the street from my head hitting the cage...

This is part of the learning curve of building a full out race car and wanting to keep my license plate...
Street car and hans device... probably pretty dangerous lol

Its fine I drive mine on the street and don't hit my head at all, mines a 14 pt, and here soon adding a X brace on the back bringing it to to 16pt. No back sear though. I just used the off set pool noodles for mine.

Its fine I drive mine on the street and don't hit my head at all, mines a 14 pt, and here soon adding a X brace on the back bringing it to to 16pt. No back sear though. I just used the off set pool noodles for mine.
Do you have any pictures of your cage handy ??

Do you have any pictures of your cage handy ??
Here's some, if you need more let me know

20220925_193330.jpg

20201018_140709.jpg

20150207_113746.jpg

20150728_121656.jpg

I just wanna chime back in on this.

I have removed the "drivers compartment" and my entire cage building thinking has changed due to thinking about cages and heads hitting them.

If it's a street car. The cage is more dangerous than it is safe and or cool.
I cut mine out probably back when you're putting this one in.. I got tired of jumping over it...

Thanks that looks really nice, did you fabricate it or was it someone's kit ?
I like how you did the dash bar. I bought an art Morrison cage but after mocking a couple bars it seems mine is out side of the dash.
No I didn't, @Mad Dart did the roll cage when he had it and I bought it from him. But he and his friend fabricated the bars not sure if he got a kit or just the tubes.

Thanks for the photos. Has the removable harness bar ever been an issue at your track?
Haven't been to one yet, but the guy that helped Mad dart was a professional cage builder I think that's what he said so I will have to see. The original idea was to have a back seat but its a pain to get even the frame back there that's why's the harness bar is removable.

Yeah he did. If you need more pics let me know. How's your cage coming?
This weekend I'm installing 2 by 3 subframe connectors and out riggers to weld my cage to
I didn't like the looks of welding plate to the floor. My pans in the rear are pretty thin and I think having my car level and outriggers the same will be easier to build off of. I have 5 weeks to get it right before the guy who certifies cages gets back in town. It definitely shouldn't take that long. I'm going to sandblast the floor pan, engine compartment and trunk floor. I have to go buy a sand blaster and some form of media.

This weekend I'm installing 2 by 3 subframe connectors and out riggers to weld my cage to
I didn't like the looks of welding plate to the floor. My pans in the rear are pretty thin and I think having my car level and outriggers the same will be easier to build off of. I have 5 weeks to get it right before the guy who certifies cages gets back in town. It definitely shouldn't take that long. I'm going to sandblast the floor pan, engine compartment and trunk floor. I have to go buy a sand blaster and some form of media.
I know on some points of contact Mad dart had to build up a frame to make them level. Well just take your time and get it done, 5 weeks seems like a ways away but will go fast. Can't wait to see you post up the finished product on your thread. Awesome build by the way.

I know on some points of contact Mad dart had to build up a frame to make them level. Well just take your time and get it done, 5 weeks seems like a ways away but will go fast. Can't wait to see you post up the finished product on your thread. Awesome build by the way.
I will definitely be methodical about it, I don't want a rip out and start over deal. I appreciate that you like the build too.

-
Back