Shady Dell W-5 HP gain?

-

megacab

Leglhi
Reaction score
Just pulled my heads and am trying to get ahold of the guys at SD to port them for me since ive heard nothing but good things about them.My question is since these heads are untouched what can i reasonably expect for hp gain from porting these and the intake?Im hoping this is the bottle neck that is keeping my car back.The other question is does anybody have a suggestion for a solid cam to replace mine?I believe its ground to make power from 3500-7200,and ive heard these strokers like less rpm.My combo and specs are in this forum under WHATS WRONG COMBO ( http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=40133 ) in September.Thanks.

If you are getting your heads ported I would wait until you can get some flow numbers. With this information, SD or a cam company like Comp, Crane, Hughes, ... will be able to give you a good recommendation based on your combination and goals. Matching all the parts of the engine, transmission and suspension will reward you with a very responsive car.

If you PM user RyanJ over on moparts.com he will get back to you. He is a very busy man so be patient. I would get cam and any other recommendations from him. He has helped me a LOT with my engine and is still helping me even though I am not buying anything from him at the moment. He is a straight shooter no BS kind of guy too.

W5s have terribly small ports out of the box. You should expect huge gains in performance if you build the rest of the combo to match the heads he provides for you. I had him CNC a set I have, but I haven't built the engine yet. Most of the guys at Moparts are blown away by the increased power after letting Ryan prep their heads. They end up with a better engine than they imagined.

Check out the flow numbers on his site:

http://www.shadydellspeedshop.com/w5.htm

I would let ryan spec out a cam for u while he has your heads...

I plan on buying my Edelbrock's from SD, after they work their magic on them. I will probably let them spec out a cam to match their heads.

I plan on buying my Edelbrock's from SD, after they work their magic on them. I will probably let them spec out a cam to match their heads.

That is what I did, bought them Stage 2 ported directly from them. He can also set up the valve springs for you. He only charged me for parts to set the springs and retainers up when I bought mine. And all the other advice, and there was lots of it, was free.

Thanks for all the input everyone.You guys are great.I'll get ahold of Ryan.Im really excited to see what happens with the power increase.And i"ll hit him up about a cam at the same time.I've heard their busy people over there.Anybody know the going rate for a port job?

Thanks for all the input everyone.You guys are great.I'll get ahold of Ryan.Im really excited to see what happens with the power increase.And i"ll hit him up about a cam at the same time.I've heard their busy people over there.Anybody know the going rate for a port job?

CNC porting is $850 and if you want the full tilt boogie hand porting, it is $1100. Expect an additional 10-20hp with the hand porting depending on your other components.

Ryan is a good guy to deal with. He has my W5s waiting for the go ahead.

Cool.And im guessing the hand porting is worth the extra coin?Can you expect 75 horse gain from an all out job including the intake?

Cool.And im guessing the hand porting is worth the extra coin?Can you expect 75 horse gain from an all out job including the intake?

Again, this depends on your other components but if you are asking if one could achieve a 75hp gain from heads and a manifold that have never been worked, imho I would say absolutely.

As far as the hand porting being worthwhile, to serious racers every little oz they can get out of the motor is worthwhile. If you could get an additional 20hp out of your heads would it be worth paying $12.50 per hp?

Don't forget that you have to pay for a valve job after the porting, too.

Get in touch with Ryan for the pricing. There are prices on his website, but they may be out of date.

Don't forget that you have to pay for a valve job after the porting, too.

Get in touch with Ryan for the pricing. There are prices on his website, but they may be out of date.

I just got my heads back in July '08 and the prices on his site were what he charged me.

If you PM user RyanJ over on moparts.com he will get back to you. He is a very busy man so be patient. I would get cam and any other recommendations from him. He has helped me a LOT with my engine and is still helping me even though I am not buying anything from him at the moment. He is a straight shooter no BS kind of guy too.

Absolutely. Go with Ryan's suggestions. He's continually assembling complete engines and is a library of combo's. Literally takes the guess work out of the equation.
As for gains, rule of thumb, 2 hp for every cfm, can be had. Assuming all the supporting hardware is in place.

Can you post a few pictures of your piston tops (not cleaned... just as they are) and the chambers of the heads? You will also need a valve job, and replacement springs for whatever cam you decide on.

Lol.The final ratio is 12.5 to 1 with the W-5's.When i got the heads they were 62cc instead of the 58 i thought they were.So in order to get the compression i wanted i had them knocked down to 58cc.

I'll get some pictures of the piston tops this week and post them.Sorry for the delay on getting back to your replies.It's not that im not grateful(i am) ive just been working two side jobs and havent had much time.After this week i'll be freed up to work on the duster.Anybody who's read the book i wrote on here a few months back knows the troubles ive been having with it lol.Thanks again.

-
Back