shaft rocker quesions?

-

bones427

Reaction score
i am rebuilding my 340 that has rpm heads and crane rockers they are a older set, i am going from a flat tappet to roller. do i need to upgrade the shafts to the better oilers, and i have the stock hold downs do i need to upgrade them to the better ones for alumn. as hughes recommends?

I like the "banana grooved" shafts. The oil hole has a machined groove ,at an angle to lube the shaft journals all the way across. Bought the Hughes shafts,nice stuff. As for hold downs,I would check with Crane first.(probably a different width rocker. If that fails,Hughes has a nice setup,you can adjust(shims).

http://www.billetracingparts.com/Mopar Rocker Hold Downs.html

got a set of these...

on the grooved shafts...it seems crane, comp, and other rocker manufacturers dont sell a grooved shaft with their rockers...so do they think they are not needed?

Even the some of the newer MP rocker shafts are not grooved...

Attachments

• Picture 724.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 209
If it works for you,great. I'll stick with my grooved shafts. Have a nice day.

You do not need the grooved shafts for the majority of the builds that run the street, street strip applications. I'd suggest the full grooved shafts for a serious heavy duty build and race applications just for the simple reason of the added insurance of the slightly better oiling ability it affords you.

While your description of your build is rather general, making the move to a roller (Hyd. or solid?) is suggestive of you getting serious, though the Edelbrock heads only get so good. (Are they ported?)

The Crane shafts are plenty strong enough. I do not fore see a problem as is.

I don't worry about grooves - but the shafts should be thick wall. Not factory stuff. I'll ad that you want to be careful - some aftermarket shafts are loaded with machining debris - so inspect and clean very carefully.

It's funny though, that in the Mopar Engine book, it sure as heck shows you how to groove non-grooved shafts and explains the benefits. I kinda like the grooves too.

Groves are good but I am running a .591" lift cam with non-grove shafts and its been fine for years.

-
Back