Shakespeare..."to Fast Ratio or not to Fast Rat

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
I crack myself up....hahahaha. Ok so that is the question! I do not intend to put headers on my Duster, so when I order my steering box from Firm Feel, do I order the fast ratio pitman and idler for a 12.5-1 ratio, or stick to the 16-1 ratio? Mind you I havent driven this car in years! Can you guys offer up some feedback on experience you have with your own steering and what you would or wouldnt do differently? Thank you. Dan:burnout:

My general rule of thumb is that if the car is going to be doing a lot of straight line driving (freeway, or quarter), stay with the standard ratios. If you are doing autocross or parking lot zamboni stuff, quick ratio away.

Good advise...I do think you are right, and I intend to do way more pleasure, commuter miles than play miles on any autocross and racetrack environment! Another couple hundred bucks saved! thank you!

A fast ratio idler and pitman is a very tough fit on an A-body small block with cast iron manifolds.

I've seen some pictures of ONE done that way once. The custom headpipes went back immediately. There might have been some milling to the manifolds too.

I like my fast ratio in my 67 but I have headers.

I like the quick response with my manual steering and it's a blast to drive going through the mountain passes.

I like my fast ratio in my 67 but I have headers.

I like the quick response with my manual steering and it's a blast to drive going through the mountain passes.

That's a Fast Ratio Manual 16:1 box correct.

Power steering standard ratio is 16:1.

If you add the long pitman and idler, the power steering will be 12.7:1. But that really doesn't fit A-bodies without modifications. And no way with headers.

-
Back