Share your quirky, spooky, or supernatural Mopar Stories

-

goldfish65

Reaction score
Many of us believe Mopars have unexplained qualities, odd quirks, or maybe even supernatural powers! Perhaps posessed by a spirit? Gotten you out of a jam? Precipitated a major event in your life?

Seems like every Mopar I've bought has 'spoken' to me and brought good things into my life. Show 'em some love and they run better, guages and other things suddenly fix themselves....

C'mon, let's hear your stories!

I had my 340 stroked to 452hp,installed it and a couple weekends later,I took it to the track.Well I had just bought a car trailer 3 days prior to going to the track.It was a godsend,cause on my first launch(cars a 4 speed)I snapped an axel in the 8 1/4 s.g with 4.10,s.The axel and wheel came straight out and passed me!!YIKES!!my 1/4 panel????Not a scratch?That was a sign to put an 8 3/4 s.g with 4.10,s and Moser axels in!I stuffed the axel,wheel back in the housing and wenched it up on my new trailer,took it home and rolled off into my garage for fixing!I have my 66 Dart for racing this year!!

I don't believe that our cars have any supernatural powers that get us out of jams. I believe that there is a God that watches out for us....and gave us the brains to know that Mopars are the best there is!!!

That being said...my current Demon project has taken on a life of it's own. I've showed it nothing but love, and all I get in return is grief!! I've taken to calling her Christine.

I have had several strange things and coincidences occur in my life that might make a normal person go "huh", this is one of my favorites:

When I was a kid in high school (late 60's - upstate NY) our phone system was changed out from crank phones to the new fangled dial phones. At least 3-4 times per week my folks would get a call from people trying to reach Vogel's General Store in a neighboring town. Fast forward about 2-3 years to 1971 and I was stationed at Robins AFB in middle Georgia. I was looking for a new car (to replace my '63 Valiant) and had just looked at a '67 Fury. It was about 8-8:30 PM and I placed a collect call to my folks to talk it over with my dad. Well, a strange man answered the phone "Vogel's General Store"! Operator asked if he would accept the collect call and he said yes and if I would hold on, my folks had just pulled in!!!

Mr. Vogel told my folks that night that he didn't know I was in Georgia, he thought I might have been broke down in Cortland or someplace closer to home. He also said that he had never gotten a wrong number with people looking for my folks before!!!

As it turned out I didn't buy the Fury. I did buy a '67 Firebird which we still have, although I gave it to my son a couple years ago after we completed a total restore of it. Strange? Coincidence? Paranormal?? I've reported - you decide...
C

I bought my Scamp in the summer of 2000.

As I pulled away from the sellers house there was major banging coming from underneath. I pulled over the check it out and determined that it was broken clamps allowing the exhaust to bang around.

On the ride home it started raining. I had 2 wipers for a minute, then one, the passengers side of course! Pieces of wiper linkage bushing hit the floor at my feet.

Now with the windows closed, I turned on the air conditioning. It felt like it sucked half the horsepower out of it! The whole car rumbled and shook.

As it started getting dark, I turned on the headlights. They barely shined 10 feet in front of me, and NO dash lights. Then I noticed the ammeter pinned to the left, not charging at all!

For the rest of the ride home I just waited for the car to quit. As many idiots with old cars do, I started talking to it. "Just get us home and I'll take good care of you" I told it. It took me the rest of the way.

I spent the next 3 weeks fixing it up. Coil, cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Oil change and lube, brakes, shocks, tires, complete exhaust and replaced the weeping valve cover gaskets.

I gave it the cleaning of it's life inside and out.

It was like driving a different car! It responded to all that TLC ike a dream. It ran and drove like stepping back in time. Within a couple of months, I drove it from MA to FL and back. Not one problem on the road. Then a trip from MA to western PA and back. Not a single issue. Over the next year and a half it was my daily driver and took numerous trips up and down the east coast. To the tune of about 40,000 miles.

We became friends.

In December of 2001 I brought it in to the body shop for a paint job. The shop disassembled the entire vehicle and sent everything but the body back to me in boxes. The car was in the shop until August of 2003 :(

During the 2+ years in the shop I worked on cleaning and painting the seemingly thousands of parts. I collected parts. NOS, repops, used--whatever I could find. I bought books, even the 1974 Mopar parts book.

When the car was finally delivered in new paint, I started re-assembly. It took me less than 3 weeks to have it back on the road. Now it looked as good as it ran and drove. The car was obviously happy! I drove the hell out of it for the next 2 years.

In September of 2005 I had to travel for a business opportunity, so I parked the Scamp. For the next 6 months all I could do was start it a couple of times on brief trips back. I could tell it was angry. It didn't start easily and shook a LOT once it did.

When I visited in March of 2006, it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. I hooked up the jumper cables and ran in the house for a drink. I came out a minute later to see white smoke pouring out from under the dash! I quickly pulled the cables off thinking they were reversed. They weren't. I was sickened by the thought of what had just happened. I had left the car alone too long and it was mad and it burned me for it. Literally.

I couldn't even look at the car again until May of 2007. When I could finally stomach it, I pulled the dash to see the extent of the damage. The ammeter had fried, along with two fusible links and about 1/2 a mile of cooked wires. I bought an NOS ammeter on eBay and started cleaning and restoring the instrument cluster. My heart wasn't really in it and after a few weeks I dropped it again.

It was almost 2 years before I felt up to taking on the car again. This past April I was looking at the car and said "I'll take better care of you, I promise".

Major wiring project. I replaced the alternator, voltage regulator, ballast resistor and coil. I did the ammeter bypass and installed a volt meter. I rerouted the voltage regulator sense wire directly to the battery. I replaced all the burnt wire and connectors, and 2 fusible links. Put in a new battery and some new battery terminals. I cleaned and lubed the bulkhead connectors and numerous other harness connectors. I removed, cleaned and reconnected every grounding point I can locate on the vehicle. I think I still have electrical gremlins somewhere as I still see some flickering in the lights and voltmeter.

The old fuel tank was full of gunk, so I replaced the tank and sending unit. New fuel filter and fuel pump, and bent up some new fuel line from the pump to the carb. I rebuilt the old carb and couldn't get the car tuned so I replaced it with a reman.

I changed the oil and filter twice, before running and tuning, and after. New coolant, new brake fluid, and topped off P/S fluid. Had a leaky valve cover and found that it was cracked behind a couple of the bolt holes. I put on a cheap set of chrome covers until I can find a new set of originals or possibly have mine welded.

After some running, I noticed the fan wobbling slightly. One of the studs had pulled out of the fan clutch. Replaced the fan clutch and replaced all the belts. Had a slight dribble from the lower radiator hose, so I removed it re-seated it and re-clamped it. The windshield washer bottle was leaking at the pump. The old pump housing had warped so I replaced the pump with a repro.

I replaced the saggy rear leaf springs and installed a new set of KYB's all around. Had a squeaky right front bushing and ended up replacing all the upper control arm bushings. I bought a clean set of 14" rallye wheels from another member here (Thanks KP!), set of repop center caps and new repro lug nuts. I had the wheels skinned with BFG Radial T/A 215/70-14 and had the front end set up and aligned. I didn't have a spare, so I bought a plain 14" chrysler steel wheel on eBay and had the same tire put on it.

Finally, I installed a full set of sound deadener under the carpet, new trunk divider and padding, and new package tray and padding.

My Scamp is happy again and I'm planning 2 road trips for this summer. Each one about 2500 miles round-trip. And I am perfectly confident that my friend the Scamp will take me home.

The moral of the story: an un-loved Mopar will kick your ***, but show it some love and it will cuddle you and love you back.

I love my Scamp. My friend.

Mike

It's fun to hear your stories. My Scamp, my friend.....I can relate. I love my Goldie :love7:

Many of us believe Mopars have unexplained qualities, odd quirks, or maybe even supernatural powers! Perhaps posessed by a spirit? Gotten you out of a jam? Precipitated a major event in your life?

Seems like every Mopar I've bought has 'spoken' to me and brought good things into my life. Show 'em some love and they run better, guages and other things suddenly fix themselves....

C'mon, let's hear your stories!
ABodyBettie's car, she calls her "Veronica", I call it "Bride of Frankenstein"! You get this thing fixed, take it for test spin, breaks comming back home. Gets home then wait 2 days for parts and do it all over again, and so on......
It has been doing this sense we bought it this past DEC!!!
I tell her it's easier to walk past it every week and throw $200.00 under the hood and walk away. Less stress!!!!! I'm telling you that ***** is posessed!
The car not "ABB"! LOL!!:evil2:

ABodyBettie's car, she calls her "Veronica", I call it "Bride of Frankenstein"! You get this thing fixed, take it for test spin, breaks comming back home. Gets home then wait 2 days for parts and do it all over again, and so on......
It has been doing this sense we bought it this past DEC!!!
I tell her it's easier to walk past it every week and throw $200.00 under the hood and walk away. Less stress!!!!! I'm telling you that ***** is posessed!
The car not "ABB"! LOL!!:evil2:
If you did`nt use it as a daily driver, it would probably never give you any trouble. lol That reminds me, I bought an old 68 F-350 welding rig with a 390, in 90". it took me a year to make it a roadworthy work truck. I started my business, in 95, and it seemed I was wrenching on it every evening after work and on weekends. I finally got tired of doing so and broke bad and bought a new rig, in 99. Well ever since then. I`ve barely layed a wrench on it, and would`nt hesitate to drive it 100 mi. away. These 40 plus year old vehicles say to us, hey! I`ve done my time, take it easy on me lol.8) As far as my Mopar, after about 6 years of ownership, the emergency brake light started working, I did`nt know it existed, ha, Now if only my high beam indicator would fix itself:-D

If you did`nt use it as a daily driver, it would probably never give you any trouble. lol That reminds me, I bought an old 68 F-350 welding rig with a 390, in 90". it took me a year to make it a roadworthy work truck. I started my business, in 95, and it seemed I was wrenching on it every evening after work and on weekends. I finally got tired of doing so and broke bad and bought a new rig, in 99. Well ever since then. I`ve barely layed a wrench on it, and would`nt hesitate to drive it 100 mi. away. These 40 plus year old vehicles say to us, hey! I`ve done my time, take it easy on me lol.8) As far as my Mopar, after about 6 years of ownership, the emergency brake light started working, I did`nt know it existed, ha, Now if only my high beam indicator would fix itself:-D
Hey mopar head, I'm pikin up what your'e droppin' down! lol
I worked on the other daily driver yesterday, ALL day. Started out to adjust out serious clatter out of rockers. After finding out no lubrication on pass side rocker assembly, took apart and cleaned 4 times and readjusted rockers 5 times, started getting dark so put it back together and it runs so quiet I can't even hear it! I'm still not sure if that rocker shaft is lubing but seems to have fixed itself as long as I spent time with her and not the wifes 67! LOL!!

I had a 74 Gold Duster in high school that must have been owned by a school teacher. I skipped a class with a buddy of mine and I had a blowout. Then another time I was skipping school and was heading up to the beach when I could feel something wrong in the front end. I pulled over to check it out and the right front wheel was about to fall off. The outer weel bearing was wiped out and the inner bearing race welded itself to the spindle.I swear it was spooked!

My uncle used to have a car... gtx maybe? That my dad took out one night... fell asleep behind the wheel and lauched it into a field and drove it home. Almost every fluid was gone and the whole chassis was shaped like a V because it landed flat.... they straightened it out and sold it. Another guy wrecked the car after.... fixed it again, and sold it. Happened a third time finally killing somebody and then sent it to the yard that time. That car just wanted to take someones life!

I don't believe that our cars have any supernatural powers that get us out of jams. I believe that there is a God that watches out for us....and gave us the brains to know that Mopars are the best there is!!!

That being said...my current Demon project has taken on a life of it's own. I've showed it nothing but love, and all I get in return is grief!! I've taken to calling her Christine.
hmm u bought a demon lol

I know this is number 2 ive dug up tonight but hay its a good one lol . Yall know by now im not right in the head lol But ive had a few that when ya talk to them nice there nice to you ..... My old coronet One time I was out in the middle of no where just chilling with a chick awe are on the hood ... I look over thought the wind shild and seen a guy I got up fast thinking some one was in my car by the time i got up and looked agin. There was no one there the girl i was with asked what the hell are you doing ? I didnt want her to think i was nuts so i didnt tell her . Well a FEW WEEKS went by . Then one of my friends gf came up to me Look me right in the eye and said some guys in ur car .. I looked at the car and theres no guy in there ....btw We are only 5 feet from the car I said No ones im my car ! She said then to me .. Your not getting what im saying Asa !... Im like ok what then .. She said some one died in it .... She looked over at it agin and looked back at me and said hes sitting in the passger seat ...... Me and her bf both have a mouths wide open .. Him cuz he thinks shes nut me cuz Of what i seen.. A few weeks b4 ..... Then to make sure she was not messing with me i asked her what he looked like she told me spot on blak hire white guy mid 30s kind of big ....... Now im to the point i cant talk ...... She went over and sat in the coronet . She sat there with the windows up for like 20 mins or so ..... Then came out and up to us and she said .. Hes Ok with You driving his car ... then she just walked away !! Im telling u a chill went down my spine ... Beleave it or not

My wife's little Brother was T boned by a city transit bus while driving his dodge omni home from high school.
The accident pushed the entire drivers side roof to the passenger side.

Unbelievable that he survived but he did sustain a debilitating brain injury which left his motor and cognitive skills very limited.
I used to have 74 318 Valiant that always gave me some sort of running complaint but it seemed that every time I took my wife's brother for a ride in my valiant, it would run perfect like a scalded cat and never missed a beat.

The same goes for my cuda today as it always seems to have a bit more horsepower when Matthew rides along.

My barracuda, back in 2010, seemed to take a disliking to my brother's friend Susan. It would never, ever start right when she was within 50 ft of the car. I tried to fool it once but it wasn't having any of that. Which is weird because after I figured out the sequence to starting it (pump the gas once if cold, none if hot), it still did that to her, but never to my best friend. It would fire every time if I wasn't being stupid about starting it.

Maybe not my mopar in particular, but so far, every classic car my family has attempted to purchase, whether my duster or my father's lemans or whatever else, has broken down several hours from home. (Well, the Lemans' breaks just locked up... but still).

D: I don't like this tradition. We keep having to borrow the car trailer from our neighbor. I think we've used it more than he has.

-
Back