She's back!

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Took my '66 Barracuda to work today, running like a champ! Everything finally came together this weekend. . . had a heck of a time converting her from single to duel res master cylinder. Those old fittings were a PITA to get off the original distribution block but its all happy now. Got a master cylinder for a '68 dart from Napa, a reman, but it was leaking air :( In the process of bleeding the lines the pass front bleeder screw decided to break off in my socket so that was great, got a new wheel cyl to solve that. For the MC I said screw it and went with the 2 bolt alum MC from Mancini's with a 1.03 bore. Its not totally original looking but at this point safety its my #1 priority. Just a FYI for anyone using the Mancini's MC for a drum brake car, you have to run 10psi residual pressure valves. Thankfully I live about 15 min from their store so it was convenient to just pop in and buy everything. Now she stops better than ever.

I was also having an issue with my carb, the original Carter AFB 4120S. The accelerator pump squirter was only shooting on one side, must have had some gunk in there. Gave the whole carb a nice cleaning and soak in the carb tank. Dam, is she running great now! I reset my timing a little advanced, its 16* at 750 rpm with the vac unhooked. I had a stumble right off idle but now its happy.

Last thing I did was get a modern electronic voltage regulator off e-bay. Its the old school '66 style (black box with 2 wires only). It made a HUGE difference. I'm actually charging at idle WITH the headlights on now! Really wish I did this last summer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=&vxp=mtr&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc#ht_500wt_758
The headlight relay mod is next on the list. Along with the "no leak" gas cap mod. Im sick of gas running down that fender after every fill up . . .

Its such a great feeling to get it all back together again after running into pitfalls. The classic 2 hour job tuning into 4 days . . . atleast its done now! Happy cruising everyone!
cuda2018.jpg

I wonder if my timing needs to be tweaked alittle more or tweak the carb jets alittle more on my 273 2v. It always stumbles /sputters coming off idle. Definately don't want to pull out in front of someone!!!!

Yeah I'd check your timing with the vac advance disconnected, give it a little more initial timing. Also check your idle mixture screws and make sure your choke is opening all the way when its warmed up. Timing and idle mixture should fix it . . . mine is a complete dog off idle when the timing was too retarted.

Hey, damn fine ride there!! I'd love to see underhood..... glad to see guys getting fine-tuned for spring!

Here's a photo from last year under the hood. Ill go take some new photos this weekend with the upgraded parts.

CudaengineLside.jpg

Nice car! My sister used to run around in a old 66 cuda when I was kid. I used to get under the glass and lay back there while she drove at night. I was probably 5 to 8 year old.

Here's a photo from last year under the hood. Ill go take some new photos this weekend with the upgraded parts.

CudaengineLside.jpg

If you told me you'd eaten off that engine, I would believe it. One of the cleanest (stock!) bays I have seen. And thank you for obliging! Excited to see the recent mods!

Must be 66 Cuda time in Michigan!! I've been running my new little toy to work on nice days too. I also had an off-idle stumble, but I replaced the carb with a new one and it's running like a top. Best yet, it gets better gas mileage than my truck so I'm saving $$ and having fun doing it!! Maybe we'll cross paths there 74DS!! Happy motoring, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3660.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 234
Just showing you what an Aussie front end looks like for the same year.....

Attachments

• IMGP0452.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMGP0454.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 189
Geof, nice ride! There's just something about those '66 cudas, they're really one of a kind. Love the cheeze grader front end. Do you ever get out to detroit area on weekends to cruise around? Once it gets warmer people start cruising woodward every fri/sat night and theres a shell gas station at 14 mile they park at. Usually get between 30-60 cars. Its good times.
Oh and nice auzzi mopar!

Hey 74, I have been to that Shell station on occasion. Last time I went I was in the GTX and there was another 66 Cuda there. Nice car, all redone and for sale!! It's about an hour drive for me, but I do on occasion go down there. My band has some scheduled gigs at a place in Birmingham so I usually go a little early and stop there during the summer months. Hope to see you and your 66 there sometime, I would love to meet you and see your 66 up close!! Geof

-
Back