Shifter Locking Up

-

GTS NOSE CONE

Reaction score
I have a 68 GTS 340 car. I recently got it and the shifter jams solid alot when driving it. The previous owner did change the shifter out to a stock hurst shifter but i dont know if its a linkage problem where maybe the shifter rods are in wrong or a tranny problem. Anyone have this problem also. Anyone have a photo of the tranny linkage for a A body so i could match it to what i have. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

gts
does it lock up all the time ? any gear ? you may just have someone sit in the car while your under it and go thru the motions. sorry i don't have a pic but they are on the internet if you search for 4 speed a833 set up. you can start from scratch and put in new bushings and clips and adjust the rods to your liking

It doesnt lock up all the time but when it does it feels like its frozen. i have to pull over and pull and push until i get it free. I was thinking if one of the rods is in wrong it might bind up.

Here ya go. The reverse rod was from an inland and modified to fit.

Attachments

• Shifter Install1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 164
  • Shifter Install2.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 193
  • Trans Install3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 163
  • Trans Install5.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 152
Getting 2 gears can ruin the trans. Find the info needed to get it properly adjusted soon.

Go here and pick out a service manual to download

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

The Hurst has an alignment hole in the body. You remove the rods at one end, stick a 1/4" bolt through the alignment hole, and adjust the rods one at a time so they fit.

Also, the detent mechanism inside the transmission side cover may be damaged, worn or missing.
X2.....make sure all the linkage points are not sloppy. Use washers to take up excess play. If any holes are oval or rods grooved, you may have to drill, bush, weld, etc to restore them. If you're using a later trans, they have a poor shifter interlock system in the cover. It's very common to see those bend or break. The earlier ball and spring setup is less of a problem but even those can fail.

WOW, Great pictures just what i was looking for. im going out to the garage now to see if the previous owner had the rods in correctly. Its a start. I dont think my shifter has the two stop bolts in the front and rear. My shifter looks like the one in the photo. Thanks again for all the help.

This is what i have.

P9060006.jpg

P9060001.jpg

P9060002.jpg

The SHAPE of the rods is not that important, so long as they "hook point A to point B" and don't bind on anything on the car

Some things that ARE important is

did you align the shifter body as I mentioned, using a bolt through the alignment hole, so that the body is IN NEUTRAL when you hook up the rods?

Are the bushings/ rods/ levers tight with very little / no play?

Remove the linkage and shift the levers on the gearbox by hand, and "feel" for if the detent mechanism is tight, and locks out the other lever.

Do this by moving first the forward lever forward, and then aft, and each time, ATTEMPT to move the rear lever. It should move a tiny bit and "stop" against the detent, and there should be a decided, firm, obvious "snap" when shifting the lever to each position.

Do the same to the rear lever, and test the front lever for lockout.

The ONLY lever that should be able to go into "two gears" is forward gears plus reverse. As I recall, you can do this manually, there is no lockout.

Thanks that hole where the rod goes in i would get to from the top inside the car. Im not sure if i have the 2 bolts on the shifter in the front and rear of it either. If it is binding it would be a side cover issue. Im not sure about the tranny the vin on the side starts with 3L so would it be a 73 tranny ?

In the pictures posted above by pntastar69, the notch at the very bottom of the body proper is where the alignment rod/ bolt goes

You'll also note in his photos, that the front(s) of the blades of the shift box levers ALIGN in neutral with the projection sticking down from the shifter body. In your photos, they do not. I'd say you need to to align them. It's all in the service manual

I cannot tell from your photos if you have two bolts holding the body on, or not. If only one, then that is certainly part of the problem.

30k7o1t.jpg

attachment.php

Mine look like the starting to go into 2nd or 4th. ill try the alignment and adjust the rods and it that doesnt work it may be a internal problem. Hopefully it will solve the problem. Thanks for the help and great photos and info.

I dropped the rods pined the shifter into neutral and adjusted the swivels also put a washer to remove any slop. Its 100 % better and its usable noit to drive. It shifts pretty nicely but i noticed it wont let me down shift. i think it might be a tranny issue. When is was diconnected it didnt have a sharp snap when i did the geras manually. The side cover can be redone with the tranny in i would think. no need to remove it right.

-
Back