shifts into neutral when i turn steering wheel left

-

plymouth73

Reaction score
1973 plymouth scamp 318
when i turn my steering wheel the gear selector moves with it just a bit, but when i am driving and i make a left turn the selector will shift out of drive into neutral. almost like the steering wheel is some how to tight. any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.

Either something is dragging as in messed with and possibly even assembled incorrectly, or there is a lube issue or even both.
Is it a stock wheel or aftermarket?

Either something is dragging as in messed with and possibly even assembled incorrectly, or there is a lube issue or even both.
Is it a stock wheel or aftermarket?
it is a aftermarket steering wheel. as for the lube i am sure it could use some.

it is a aftermarket steering wheel. as for the lube i am sure it could use some.

The problem is very possibly the adapter/cover behind the wheel is dragging on the collar behind it that moves when you shift the lever.
I bet the two are dragging together and that's why the shifter moves with the wheel.
Pretty common mistake with aftermarket wheels and adapters.

The problem is very possibly the adapter/cover behind the wheel is dragging on the collar behind it that moves when you shift the lever.
I bet the two are dragging together and that's why the shifter moves with the wheel.
Pretty common mistake with aftermarket wheels and adapters.
well damn lol i hope you are right it makes sense to me, i will take a closer look right now.

there is a 1/8" gap between the adapter and the shift collar. also this issue did not start right away after putting the new wheel on. any other thoughts?

I am thinking i will take the steering wheel off anyway for closer inspection.

You pretty much have to at this point, and you will be disassembling the turn signal switch assy to get there.
If you have something you can turn the steering shaft with once the wheel is off you can turn it a little as you go and very likely find it. (Vise grips work well) but just try to be a little gentle with the splines.
It may even just be that the bearing under the signal assy is dried out and needs some lubing.

You pretty much have to at this point, and you will be disassembling the turn signal switch assy to get there.
If you have something you can turn the steering shaft with once the wheel is off you can turn it a little as you go and very likely find it. (Vise grips work well) but just try to be a little gentle with the splines.
It may even just be that the bearing under the signal assy is dried out and needs some lubing.
i got the steering wheel off and signal switch i can see the bearings and they are dry. i am struggling to find a way to get the bearing housing off of the column looks like i will need a specialty tool.

Loosten the three bolts that hold the base of the column to the firewall. Move the column around until there is no drag on the shift lever when you turn the wheel. Lock it down there.

There is a tiny snap ring atop that little bearing. Removing it is straight forward. The bearing would slide right on when new but wont slide right off today. Forces applied over time have generated a bur at that snap ring groove. Yo should find enough movement to lift the shaft while pushing the bearing down. Do that and use a tiny file, and emery cloth, whatever, to remove said bur and clean up shaft. Bearing slides off.

There is a tiny snap ring atop that little bearing. Removing it is straight forward. The bearing would slide right on when new but wont slide right off today. Forces applied over time have generated a bur at that snap ring groove. Yo should find enough movement to lift the shaft while pushing the bearing down. Do that and use a tiny file, and emery cloth, whatever, to remove said bur and clean up shaft. Bearing slides off.
His problem has nothing to do with the bearing, or anything else at the wheel end of his column.
The steering shaft is rubbing against the shift tube down by the firewall. Its a simple adjustment.

Loosten the three bolts that hold the base of the column to the firewall. Move the column around until there is no drag on the shift lever when you turn the wheel. Lock it down there.
Thank you for the info I will definitely try that. I am waiting on a new turn signal switch, when it arrives I will install and adjust column to see what happens. Thanks again.

well thanks for all your help whitepunkonnitro and TrailBeast and RedFish you were all right lol the bearings were extremely dry and sticky i pulled the bearings out and could barely turn them by hand so i wd40ed and cleaned then repacked with grease. as for the column i built a custom dash and lowered the steering wheel to fit my preference which created drag so i enlarged the three bolt holes at the base to lower it and got it straight then locked it down and know it turns easier than ever with no problems i was amazed lol. thanks again.

-
Back