Shipping a car across country?

-
Thanks again for all the replies. I should clarify this isn't a cool old car and I'm not going all Vice Grip Garage or now Roadworthy Rescue on this one. It's my dads last car, a 2015 CTS with 50,000 miles. Hopefully it should be good to go...

Whether it's a "cool old car" or Grandpa's Caddy, both you and your boy will still have the priceless memories of your cross-country drive.
If it was me, I'd book the flight for me and my son and not give it a second thought. Make the drive back home, take off-the-interstate routes whenever you can and show the country to your boy along the way.
Oh yeah, any electronic games go in the trunk. Take the time to explore and use the time to talk, teach and learn.
Enjoy!

Thanks again for all the replies. I should clarify this isn't a cool old car and I'm not going all Vice Grip Garage or now Roadworthy Rescue on this one. It's my dads last car, a 2015 CTS with 50,000 miles. Hopefully it should be good to go...
That's a different story then. Fly up drive it back.

Woah that’s brutal! What damage was done to it?? The 300 miles is crazy as it defeats the purpose of it being shipped.
Scrape marks on the top/sides from them loading the car onto the carrier (red paint, same color as their carriers). Lots of damage on the front spoiler that hung low on the front of the van. Strong smoke smell and ashes from those who drove it inside the car. Inside the driver door had spit from the idiot who chewed tobacco that he "tried" to spit outside of the window and it ran down the inside. Disgusting. I shipped the van without license plates but left the rear screws in. When the van arrived the rear screws were gone which meant they attached a plate to the back while they drove it. NC only requires rear plates.

Scrape marks on the top/sides from them loading the car onto the carrier (red paint, same color as their carriers). Lots of damage on the front spoiler that hung low on the front of the van. Strong smoke smell and ashes from those who drove it inside the car. Inside the driver door had spit from the idiot who chewed tobacco that he "tried" to spit outside of the window and it ran down the inside. Disgusting. I shipped the van without license plates but left the rear screws in. When the van arrived the rear screws were gone which meant they attached a plate to the back while they drove it. NC only requires rear plates.
There is so much wrong with what they did. That really sucks. The cherry on top (sarcasm) is the fact they didn’t even try to hide what they did. Driving it 300 miles and smoking in it/drool on the door panel and tossing the rear plate screws. How did you not lose your **** when you picked up the van?????

Be very picky if you chose someone to ship your car! I had my 66 Barracuda shipped by a large shipping company and they broke off the antenna and minor damage to the rear quarter fender. I didn't know this when I booked it but it was shipped on a double decker car hauler! It was on the bottom at the very back so it had to be moved a couple times to get the other cars off. I wish I had just hauled it myself. You get what you pay for!

Be very picky if you chose someone to ship your car! I had my 66 Barracuda shipped by a large shipping company and they broke off the antenna and minor damage to the rear quarter fender. I didn't know this when I booked it but it was shipped on a double decker car hauler! It was on the bottom at the very back so it had to be moved a couple times to get the other cars off. I wish I had just hauled it myself. You get what you pay for!
I hope u took before and after pics, and filed a claim !

I hope u took before and after pics, and filed a claim !
Yep I have some pictures! I didn't file a claim. I shipped through Shiply.com and multiple people bid on the job. So I contacted the driver/company that shipped my car and he was not helpful at all! The driver went on a rant about how little I had to pay for shipping! Shiply did not help and told me I had to deal with the shipping company. I just let it go! At the time I thought it was just a broken off antenna, but later on I found damage to the rear quarter fender. My car isn't show condition so I'm not going to file a claim. I gave an appropriate review on Shiply and take it as a lesson learned.

It's a miracle we ever got anywhere in these old cars. Kids today would crap little green apples at the stuff we used to do. Driving cross country with no cell phones, no credit cards, and only a RADIO for entertainment (and sometimes not even that). Sometimes you'd drift across a line on the road and the car wouldn't even warn you!

It's a good thing a few of us Cro-Magnon's survived to populate the Earth as we know it today.

HemiSSDart is the way to go, great guy and honest. At least talk to him

I don't know about shipping but I have a lifetime of stories of driving and fixing sh?t across country and fixing it when it broken. Adventures, memories and met a lot of interesting people.

-
Back