Shipping a car by rail in Canada

-

jd340

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever shipped a car by rail here in Canada? I'm looking for rough prices. I've got a guy interested in my Cuda, but he's shot me a lowball offer on it, claiming it's gonna cost him $2-3000 to ship it from southwestern Ontario to Manitoba. What's the going rate? His figure sounds like it's way off in left field!

I called Oakwood Transport about a year ago, they are a very reputable company. They deliver for all the manufacturers and it was going to cost me almost $2k to ship by truck a car from BC to me here in Ontario. I also inquired about the rail and it wasnt much cheaper. I have heard both good and bad by rail. Find a private guy to see what he would charge. Heck for that kind of money I'll do it!! Jeez its only 1 province away!!

$2k by truck, cross country, I could understand, by rail 1 province away(even though it's still a great distance), I don't buy. I could have sworn I read a thread here at one time by someone who had used rail transport, and the cost was under a grand.Then again, my memory is sometimes fuzzy, so who knows?!?

Have you tried a towing company with a flatbed/tiltdeck? Like 4spd said,for that kind of money,well ,seems like there has to be a better way. 8)

It used to be under a grand from bc back to toronto because they don't build cars out here and have all those empty cars going back but the CN /CP whatever they are called these days contracted it all out to an outside company or new division within ,not sure which but the price went through the roof , in 2005 they wanted 1400 to ship my little spitfire from Windsor to Van and 765 to ship my big ole grand prix the other way , last year it they wanted over 2 grand to ship my barracuda, I was thinking of going to the big mopar deal in southwestern ontario and didn't have enough time off to drive both ways but the price was more than I could afford to blow like that

http://www.livingstonintl.com/View.aspx?locale=en-ca&uid=Vehicle_transportation

Used to be called Searail. They are the ones to use when shipping by rail. I should know. I work for CN

Thanks for the link! I can't really do up a quote since I don't know where in Manitoba he actually is. I'm not really gonna work too hard at getting him a better price because honestly, I really don't think that would improve his offer! I was just curious how much smoke he was trying to blow up my A$%, but after reading these replies, he might not be that far off. If I had the equipment, I'd deliver myself, but not for what he's offering!:thebirdm:

If he wants the car.That's his problem on getting it transported.I wouldn't drop my price .

My thoughts exactly! We've only had contact through email, but the impression I get is that he's "doing ME a favor" by offering what he has. I hopefully have a guy coming to look at the car tomorrow afternoon. He will actually be the FIRST person to actually come look at the car in person! I'm getting off topic now, so I'll shut up. I truly HATE selling vehicles, they're MUCH easier to buy! LOL!

Has anyone here ever shipped a car by rail here in Canada? I'm looking for rough prices. I've got a guy interested in my Cuda, but he's shot me a lowball offer on it, claiming it's gonna cost him $2-3000 to ship it from southwestern Ontario to Manitoba. What's the going rate? His figure sounds like it's way off in left field!

that is bs....i had a car shipped from ontario to vancouver for $887 all said and done, and i was told if the car is a non runner, add $500 more..l.

i do know there is a shipping debate right now through the rail company, and the shipper...my oldman works for CP rail.

it might be cheaper to put it in a sea can or container and then have it shipped. that way it is not a hassle for them to load it. just an idea

I would rent a pickup and trailer and haul the car to his door and get my full price.He is just trying to low ball you and get a the car for nothing.Tell him,if it cost that much,rent a trailer and truck and come and get it for a fraction of the cost,or is he to lazy to do that?I have gone to the states and bought cars and brought them back and its no big deal,he is a province away and he can,t get up off his *** to get a car,that he loves.This guy is just trying to screw you out of the car,period.Do this,the car is for sale for the full price,and you can meet him half way,after he sends you the money for the car,thats the max you will do or no deal,mrmopartech

Hey JD tell the guy enough emails, if he is serious he would have phone by now. Or you can tell him that the price is $2500 if he makes arrangements, then when someone shows up shrug your shoulders and shut the door.

Lemme see, the guy lowballs you a figure by email, sight unseen, never calls you or comes to view it and you bend over backwards to find out about shipping, whose the moron here? Obviously,you have your hopes too high for this moron and should reorganize as it is his responsibility to find a delivery for the car. You may be dog tired and anxious to sell your vehicle but the number one priority for you is to make sure the buyer is a buyer and not just someone who hasn't even spoken with you. How do you even know that this isn't some kid with a computer?

I've considered the truck+trailer option, but I don't think that'd help increase his offer. I've still got local interest, so he goes to the back of the line,last resort if you will.

Iggy: Depending on the route, it'd be at least 1300 miles, and route would be through the US.Not an option for me since I don't have a passport.

I think my original question has been answered, and suspicions confirmed. Thanks for the input everyone!

Hotlines: Believe me, I'm not bending over for anyone! I just posted this question to satisfy my own curiousity. Let's leave the name calling out of this,please.

name calling, ya mean like moron? You've got your priorities mixed up JD, get it together

You could try Hansen,s in Scarborough,they went to SB and picked up his Snakeskin Duster and brought it back here to Trenton for a member.I think it was around $1800-2000.To go get 1 province away should be cheaper,mind you,it takes 24hrs to drive out of Ontario to Manitoba border.

http://www.shipsmartly.com/

never hurts to get more than one quote

name calling, ya mean like moron? You've got your priorities mixed up JD, get it together

Thanks, I AM trying to work through some personal issues. Being called a moron for asking a simple question really helps! Man, no wonder I don't post much...:angry7:

Merry Christmas everyone!:cheers:

http://www.livingstonintl.com/View.aspx?locale=en-ca&uid=Vehicle_transportation

Used to be called Searail. They are the ones to use when shipping by rail. I should know. I work for CN
thanks for the link I'll bookmark it for later , I think it was searail I called last time so maybe these guys are cheaper and more flexible because I remember I could only ship with them to specific places ie Markham was where I would have had to pick up if I wanted it shipped to the GTA .
JD just ignore the name callers unfortunately there is no douche filter in the membership process here ,good luck on the sale

It does sound way high.. I got a quote to ship my car from LasVegas to central fl for 750. I had to get many quotes....I finally flew out and drove it back.

Sold my swinger two years ago to a guy in FT Smith. It left by car hauler from NB to Montreal then by rail to Edmonton. From NB to Edmonton was around $ 1400

It cost me $1100 5 yrs ago to hire a local flatbed from London to Chapleau return. I phoned Oakwood transport last year and was quoted about $2600 feom oregon to London dropped off at customs near the 401. Nothing is cheap

-
Back