Shipping an Engine

-

blewbyoutobad

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a buyer for a 340 engine I have. Anyone with experience doing this. I have a pallet to strap it to. LTL FedEx on my acct quoted $650. Houston to Minnesota. Sounds high to me. Any advice?
Thanks FABO

Fastenal third party shipping, they will work with you on the price. Ships to another fastnal in a enclosed truck. smaller the pallet the better.

Shipping costs are stupid high, I just got quoted $85 to ship an air-cleaner across the country.

You should consider making your own pallet. Recently I was quoted $400 to ship a bumper for plating 150 miles away. Instead I put it in the car and drove it there.

You should consider making your own pallet. Recently I was quoted $400 to ship a bumper for plating 150 miles away. Instead I put it in the car and drove it there.

Yeah. OP is looking at 2,200 miles (ish) but yeah,, doing mileage math makes sense

Try Yellow freight I just shipped a motor from Michigan to Maine and the cost wasn’t bad. The box on top has extra parts and the carb in it. 560 lbs total

C9C4245B-7BBC-4CD9-969E-D969AE3104BE.jpeg

Yellow freight they pay on their end to receive it. No cost to ship it only to receive it. Freight company is the best way to go.

I have a buyer for a 340 engine I have. Anyone with experience doing this. I have a pallet to strap it to. LTL FedEx on my acct quoted $650. Houston to Minnesota. Sounds high to me. Any advice?
Thanks FABO
I shipped a short block via FASTNEL. Wrapped it and stepped it to a pallet. Popped into the bed of the pick up, went to FASTNEL and they picked it up with a fork lift.
Did the paper work and it was a done deal.

This was done before the world went crazy.

Last time I approached Fastenal I was told that they weren’t shipping anymore.
From what I read on here and another Mopar site, they just stopped shipping sheet metal. Too many damage claims. I've had good luck from Old Dominion Trucking as far as being on the receiving end. Nothing is easy anymore, but good luck to you.

I got a quote recently from Fastenal. As far as I'm aware they are still in the game. They have limits on the dimensions they can ship though.

I have a Yellow Freight account and ship large crates and pallets with then all the time. Every quote I ever got from Fastenal was really high so I've never used them. Also have a FedEx account but have never used FedEx Freight because they too are real high.

exactly. When you have an account rates are cheaper.

The kicker with my customer, when he went through a broker, Holland still picked it up.

I have a Yellow Freight account and ship large crates and pallets with then all the time. Every quote I ever got from Fastenal was really high so I've never used them. Also have a FedEx account but have never used FedEx Freight because they too are real high.

I work for an LTL carrier rates are high, fuel costs, driver shortages, parts shortages so trucks are sitting, limited supply of new trucks.

I would use a freight company on a pallet. It pays to call all the freight companies and get a quote.

I shipped a AMC 401 from Boise to Los Angeles and onto Australia
Grand total $850. 18 months ago though. Total weight was @400lbs. (There were 4 sets of extra heads)

You can look at Engine Shipping | Transmisson Shipping and more. or uship.com. I used uship once but not engineshipping...buyer beware, I have used Fedex Freight. God help you if you get a quote and the actual crate is larger or heavier than anticipated (which it wasn't). I got a bill for $1700 for shipping an engine and the original quote was $700. After fighting and dealing with the collector for a year I paid them $700.

-
Back