Shipping to Canada

-
I believe duty is only charged on new parts that are $25 or more, although I've had many packages valued at more than that come through with no duty at all...just a $5.00 charge from Canada Post. UPS is definitley NOT the way to send stuff up here. Neither is Fed-Ex or Purolator ,or any other courier companies. They rake you big-time!

Hope this helps...

Definitely do not use one of the big companies. They charge a broker fee that can add up to big $$$. USPS should be fine. Maybe insure it for a nominal fee to be safe, depending on what you're shipping.

I agree UPS is a rip off. I won't even consider buying from a company who will only ship with UPS. They will hold your parts hostage until you pay their ridiculous and very over priced brokerage fee. Its been more than the part at times for me. USPS has been great.

I`ve shipped with both UPS and the USPS and lately I haven`t had luck with the USPS delivering things still in one piece. I`ve started using UPS despite the fact that everybody boo-hoos them over their fees, but at least they`ve been delivering things intact. UPS has also been cheaper by up to 40% on initial shipping costs compared to the USPS. I`d like to save people there as much as I can on duties but what`s the use in selling if the items can`t get there without being destroyed. Insurance claims take forever and are a total PITA. I`d rather avoid that if possible. Any insight would be welcomed.

i shipped a big block scatter shield to canada,,the buyer didnt seem to care,, i used fed ex,, i for get the total,, was well over 200.00 bucks,,the post office told me they would ship it for 75.00 for 3- 5 day delivery 125.00 2 day,,,first time the post office was cheaper to use,,over fed ex

I`ve shipped with both UPS and the USPS and lately I haven`t had luck with the USPS delivering things still in one piece. I`ve started using UPS despite the fact that everybody boo-hoos them over their fees, but at least they`ve been delivering things intact. UPS has also been cheaper by up to 40% on initial shipping costs compared to the USPS. I`d like to save people there as much as I can on duties but what`s the use in selling if the items can`t get there without being destroyed. Insurance claims take forever and are a total PITA. I`d rather avoid that if possible. Any insight would be welcomed.

Yes, all the companies will get the stuff here, but at what cost. I had a small (2"x 4" x 4") package sent to me UPS (I specified USPS as the shipper at order time) with contents worth about $30. UPS got it here in 4 days, but charged me $25 in fees and duty. I was not in a hurry and would have gladly waited the 10-12 business days that USPS/Canada Post takes to save the $25/$30. I have only had one small bracket on a carburetor that was bent during shipping, and I'd say I've conservatively had 100 packages sent from the US to me here in BC, Canada.

I had a Lakewood bellhousing shipped USPS it took over 3 weeks.I asked for it to be sent UPS,I,d have paid extra.Summer is only so long here in Ontario,Canada.If I was ordering in winter months I would use USPS.No hurry and cheaper!:clock:

USPS for me, $30 brokerage fee that couriers charge is ok on a $500 item but when it's $30 on a $30 item that just plain sucks :angry7:

I've never had USPS charge me a brokerage fee.

Occasionally, I get hit with paying GST(just a federal tax) and once in a while actual duty, but that's about it. I will NOT have anything shipped via UPS.

I just bought a bumper for my '65 Dart from Arizona and USPS shipping was $78 all in. No cost to me at my end.

If what you are shipping is packaged properly, there should be no chance of damaging it.

I've never had USPS charge me a brokerage fee.

Occasionally, I get hit with paying GST(just a federal tax) and once in a while actual duty, but that's about it. I will NOT have anything shipped via UPS.

I just bought a bumper for my '65 Dart from Arizona and USPS shipping was $78 all in. No cost to me at my end.

If what you are shipping is packaged properly, there should be no chance of damaging it.

I`m known for overpackaging and redundant packaging. I`ve had my packaging described as "Fort Knox" or "bomb proof" and still the morons transporting it manage to destroy things. I give up!

I just bought an Iwata spray gun from an on-line supplier somewhere south of the border, shiiped USPS, no brokerage, not even any tax for some reason :-D If you're in a huge rush they are slower though

I purchased several items through EBay while restoring my car. US Postal has a handling fee of $5.00 to have a package cross the border. All packages are charged Duty (taxes).

If you ship by air there are no Duties or handling fees. However it is more expensive so you need to compare costs. Why do they not charge fees or duties at the airports? I don't know but believe the airports are busy enough with people so the customs doesn't spend time on handling packages other than scanning for drugs. Plus the package sizes are smaller.

UPS and Fedex charge astounding fees for brokerage if you do not have an account with them. Example - I bought a 340 4 speed flywheel for $100. I paid $36 shipping when it left Texas. I then paid another $32 when it arrived plus the Duty (taxes). Total ripoff! US Postal Service fee would have been $5 plus Duty.

By the way if purchasing through EBay ask the seller if they are willing to ship USPS and most will because they are not aware of what we Canadians go through on border costs. Happy Shopping!

i have an account at FED-EX there was no price difference shiping a big block scatter shield from the US to CANADA,, the only difference ive found using my FED-EX acout number is,, you cant pay cash,,

What kind of brokerage fee does the USPS charge?

I think they pull a # out of their hat, I paid $35 brokerage fee on a $30 emblem I bought off of ebay. Like other Canadians have mentioned, U.S.Postal service is the way to go. The reciever of the parcel in Canada just pays the Postal service any duties their may be, I have bought some things off of ebay (used auto parts ) and paid no other charges when they arrivied in the mail.

-
Back