shock plate question for dana 60

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americanstandard

Reaction score
Do I need to fab a shock plate that will fit on a 1970 dart, if I keep the original leafs?
The 7" plate is a lot less thicker and beefier than I imagined, so cutting new holes wont work.
The u bolts from the dana are twice as thick. Any suggestions?
There are local junkyards, I was thinking of pulling shock plates off a truck and hoping for the best. However, the leaf springs on tthe 70 dart are too wide for the plate I pulled from a ford 250.

New leaves? What are my options?

I used the stock 8 3/4 plates when I installed my Strange 60. I also used six leaf +1 inch leafs from ESPO.

I used the stock 8 3/4 plates when I installed my Strange 60. I also used six leaf +1 inch leafs from ESPO.

How much did the leafs cost you for the rear?
Jegs is going to cost about 4/500 for a set, front and back, not including misc costs and shipping.

So have i bought plenty of $35 ones for a 7 1/4 (told they where 8 3/4) and 8 3/4 ones pitted to hell or dipped in primer and paint to hide what was there because they where pitted to hell. Not saying you didn't get lucky and find a set of them for that price but comparing those to nice unpitted ones and saying there are tons of pit free ones out there would be a stretch to say the least just ask anyone who has looked for nice ones for a show car! Sure would have loved to see a pic of those $35 ones when they where laying there at that flea market with that price on them. I am not afraid to show a pic of mine in bare metal lets see yours! I have recently seen numerous sets sell for $65 and up not very nice at all

"You are bidding on a Pair of Excellent Used, Correct Part Numbered Original Mopar Dodge Chrysler Plymouth A, B, C, or E-body 8 1/4, 8 3/4, or 9 3/4 Dana Rear Housing and Leaf Spring"

That means there are tons of them around. I bought mine at a swap meet for $35.

So have i bought plenty of $35 ones for a 7 1/4 (told they where 8 3/4) and 8 3/4 ones pitted to hell or dipped in primer and paint to hide what was there because they where pitted to hell. Not saying you didn't get lucky and find a set of them for that price but comparing those to nice unpitted ones and saying there are tons of pit free ones out there would be a stretch to say the least just ask anyone who has looked for nice ones for a show car! Sure would have loved to see a pic of those $35 ones when they where laying there at that flea market with that price on them. I am not afraid to show a pic of mine in bare metal lets see yours! I have recently seen numerous sets sell for $65 and up not very nice at all

If you notch out the holes a bit they do work on 3" housing tubes!

Damn, did I touch a nerve or something?!? These were driver quality. Besides, who will ever know? If someone was to EVER comment on how my shock plates weren't up to snuff, I would kick him in the nuts while he was lying on his back looking under my car.

I couldn't find any pictures of them, but I did find the thread where I sold them...for $55

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=147276

How convenient NO PICS! Exactly what i said the price you sold yours for was about the going current price. And they had pits! Pit fee ones for $35 bucks are not everywhere and blow hart remarks don't cover up false ones you made! By the sounds of the quality of your car I don't think you will have to worry about anyone wanting to look under it!
Damn, did I touch a nerve or something?!? These were driver quality. Besides, who will ever know? If someone was to EVER comment on how my shock plates weren't up to snuff, I would kick him in the nuts while he was lying on his back looking under my car.

I couldn't find any pictures of them, but I did find the thread where I sold them...for $55

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=147276

I've picked up VERY clean 3" tube shock plates at swaps out here for $20-30. Got a complete set of front/rear hangers, shackles and shock plates for $40.

You back east guys have no idea how many clean parts are out here.

If you can sell plates for 135, have at it.
------------------------------------------------------------------

For the OP.

Check the diameter of your axles tubes. If the tubes are 3", you can use the factory shock plates without issue. If it's 3.25 or larger, you may need to make alterations to factory plates. Or you can make a set from plate steel. I build them all the time for use with a caltrac style set up.

brand new set from mancini is $115
http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/marilesishpl.html

they are not always the cheapest for every part, but it's easy to find stuff on their site lol.
you could fab them if you have the equipment

if it was me i would just buy a set from the guy right above me ^^^ if he can get you a set at a local swap. unless you need them right away

How convenient NO PICS! Exactly what i said the price you sold yours for was about the going current price. And they had pits! Pit fee ones for $35 bucks are not everywhere and blow hart remarks don't cover up false ones you made! By the sounds of the quality of your car I don't think you will have to worry about anyone wanting to look under it!

WOW. dude keep the gloves up. your gonna call a members car **** because his shock plates have pits? just for the record........ you can get these plates off of all kinds of vehicles. i just got a set for my 8 3/4 swap for a whole $18 at the local pick an pull. sure they are a bit rusty and may have a little bit of pitting but i have never seen or heard of these plates breaking. take a deep breath and relax. good luck with your EBAY add. some guys pay more for parts than others.

I've picked up VERY clean 3" tube shock plates at swaps out here for $20-30. Got a complete set of front/rear hangers, shackles and shock plates for $40.

You back east guys have no idea how many clean parts are out here.

If you can sell plates for 135, have at it.

lol.. you can get them here cheap and in good shape also.. no idea who would pay $130 for a set..

lol.. you can get them here cheap and in good shape also.. no idea who would pay $130 for a set..

The same people that yell and scream about not finding good cars because they never actively look. Want it to fall in their lap. Maybe that group.

You pay for convenience!

New U-Bolts are worth about $30 not $40 spring perches when included are extra money not included with the price re-read the ad and that price is for ones with pits on them!

thats $40 worth of new u-bolts and another $25 worth of spring perches with them. that makes the plates worth about $114.99.

Hey Joe
No so for unpitted ones, mine are cheap compared to these and many others i have seen sold. Here you go and he already sold 13 sets http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-8-3-4...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5889158908&vxp=mtr

i've never had any issue finding unpitted ones in this area and i have had to buy quite a few sets over the years. only reason i paid the $55 for the ones i last bought was because i didn't have to leave the house and they were powder coated.

good for that guy to find 13 idiots to pay that kind of money for those parts. it doesn't mean that you can't find them a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back