Shock Tower Enforcement For Coil Overs

-

Purple Haze

Reaction score
Here is what I am going to do to re-enforce the shock towers on my Duster. Since I all ready have snout bars connected to my cage, I'm going to burn in two 2" X 1/4" plates on each side of the shock tower and connect them to my snout bars. Then burn in a 1/4" plate on top of the towers attached to the plates, see pic's.
DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0618.jpg

DSCF0621.jpg

Hope you all understand this.

ought to be...solid as Sears

....are they still in business?

Here is what I am going to do to re-enforce the shock towers on my Duster. Since I all ready have snout bars connected to my cage, I'm going to burn in two 2" X 1/4" plates on each side of the shock tower and connect them to my snout bars. Then burn in a 1/4" plate on top of the towers attached to the plates, see pic's.
DSCF0610.jpg

DSCF0618.jpg

DSCF0621.jpg

Hope you all understand this.

Well that is not going anywhere like that! Simple and muchoooo effective.

Looks like you have a bigblock in there?
I don't think I would rely on the stock stamped shock mount to hold the weight of the entire front end of your car! That factory washer is just gonna shove through the shock mount. The mount is too thin to support that much weight.
If it were my decision I would rebuild the mount totally with thicker gauge steel altogether.

This is why Alterktion has its own coilover mount intergrated!

I think in theory it was a good idea but this mount was never intended on holding the entire weight of the cars front-end. Too many folks believe that this is a structural part, its not! All it does is support the shock during jounce and rebound. The K-frame, lower control arms, torsion bars and their mounts hold the weight.

Take it or leave it but that is my 2 cents. This coming from a I-car Gold trained/ASE Master Body tech which specialized in structural repair on uni-body cars.

I don't think I would rely on the stock stamped shock mount to hold the weight of the entire front end of your car! That factory washer is just gonna shove through the shock mount. The mount is too thin to support that much weight.
If it were my decision I would rebuild the mount totally with thicker gauge steel altogether.

I think in theory it was a good idea but this mount was never intended on holding the entire weight of the cars front-end. Too many folks believe that this is a structural part, its not! All it does is support the shock during jounce and rebound. The K-frame, lower control arms, torsion bars and their mounts hold the weight.

Take it or leave it but that is my 2 cents. This coming from a I-car Gold trained/ASE Master Body tech which specialized in structural repair on uni-body cars.

He is running a cage with the snout bars tied into it and the snout bars come all the way to the front of the frame rail? I don't really think it gets much stronger than that. Some of you guys crack me up. What do you suggest, a tube frame car??????? WTF??????

Robert, I think you did not see the 1/4"x2"x2" plate on TOP of the shock tower in between the 2 1/4" plates that go down off the Tube to the upper shock tower that is tied to the cage and landed to the front frame rail...... That is Plenty enough to hold the weight of the car. The Factory washer is going to have to shove through the 1/4" Plate also...... That is just not going to happen.

Robert, I think you did not see the 1/4"x2"x2" plate on TOP of the shock tower in between the 2 1/4" plates that go down off the Tube to the upper shock tower that is tied to the cage and landed to the front frame rail...... That is Plenty enough to hold the weight of the car. The Factory washer is going to have to shove through the 1/4" Plate also...... That is just not going to happen.

Yeah,
I missed the plate! My mistake.

Wow, I was going to say did you look at the pic's and read what i posted? Just goes to show how observant those ASE guys are.

Wow, I was going to say did you look at the pic's and read what i posted? Just goes to show how observant those ASE guys are.
LOL, I noticed your title! REINFORCEMENT not ENFORCEMENT!:D

Bash if you want. Its all good! I accepted my mistake.:finga:

Ok Purple Haze, No more trying to hide your steam rollers. You got a link or some pictures of your rear end set up from under the car?? Don't be shy!!

It's one of Alston's older designs. All that stuff was done back in the late 80's.

Frank it's strange because I am running a modified Alston 4 link in my dart too, but hasn't been back halved. Looks great btw

Gosh darn it, now I want to Tear out the Triangulated 4 Link and back half my car!! I knew I should have just done it from the get go.......

Frank it's strange because I am running a modified Alston 4 link in my dart too, but hasn't been back halved. Looks great btw

What's strange, lot of peps run em. Yeah I saw your setup it's a goodun. Car was back halved cause it was done back when pro street was big.

-
Back