Short video clip of HP in action

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
took one of my sons out for a little ride the other day and he had his camera on. 408 stroker, about 580 hp, 904 trans, 4.10 back end. Rolling about 20 in second and nailed it. Let off a little over 90 about 6 seconds later.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emK78ABHfrs&feature=youtu.be"]71 Dart Swinger - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• DSCF0006-1.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 540
  • SANY0601-5.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 546
Rock and roll. Love those strokers!

sweet what heads ?

Sleepy,

Here's the specs...all work by my lonesome except the trans build and block and head machining.

• New engine is an Original 360, Currently CID 408 Approximate 580 hp
• 91 LA block .030 over, zero deck, line bored
• Hughes Main girdle
• Extensive oil system mods
• Melling standard oil pump
• Kevco oil pan and pickup with larger tube
• Scat forged 4.00” crank
• Scat H beams con rods
• Keith Black forged pistons
• Edelbrock Magnum Heads fully CNC ported by Hughes, 2.08" intakes, milled back to 58cc chambers. Around 300 cfm @ .600 lift
• 10.65 static compression
• 1.6 stainless steel rocker arm
• ARP head and main studs 190 Ksi
• Hughes Camshaft
o Intake Lift .610
o Exhaust Lift .614
o Intake Duration @ .050 valve lift 252
o Exhaust Duration @ .050 valve lift 256
o 106 degrees Lobe separation angle
• Solid lifters with EDM holes
• Port matched Edelbrock Air gap Intake
• 850 Quick Fuel Carburetor
• TTI Industries 1 7/8 Headers
• TTI Industries 3" dual exhaust with X pipe to the rear bumper
• SFI Certified Damper and Flex Plate
• Mallory Magnetic Breakerless #42 Distributor
• Mallory Hyfire 6AL Capacitive Discharge box with rev. limiter
• Edelbrock 160 GPH pump
• Dual Fram Fuel Suction fuel filters
• -8 AN lines to regulator and -6 AN to carb
• Fuel Cell and battery in the trunk
• John Cope racing transmissions built 904 Torqueflight
o Manual Shift Reverse Pattern
• B and M Pro Ratchet Shifter
• PTC 3600 rpm torque converter
• 1350 Spicer U-joints on custom 3” diameter .083 wall drive shaft
• Moser 8 3/4 nodular center section with Richmond 4.10's gears, Moser Alloy axles and Auburn Sure Grip
• Wilwood Discs up front
• Billet Specialties Wheels
• B.F. Goodrich Radial T/A Tires
• Custom BeCool Aluminum Radiator
• HP High Flow Water Pump
• Caltrac Traction Bars
• 5” Cowl fiberglass hood
• Recently Painted original Y8 Gold Poly
• Currently Weighs 2,920 lbs. without me

Nice to get out in that area on Jan 1-2... :)

Sounds good. Sharp car!

If my ride were only half that nice..............................

OL Dodge,

It took 8 years to get to this point. For a while I was literally buying a tire here, a wheel there. I work about 70 hours a week and at times it took a team of Clydesdales to drag me out to the garage and work on the Dart.

Don't give up! A little at a time, be persistent. This is the exact reason I put pictures and vids up here......to encourage others!!

Sounds glorious! I opted for a 480 hp build on my 408. Now, as always, I yearn for more power, but am trying to learn to be content because it is daily driver friendly and still hauls the mail when pressed. I don't want to spray it and don't want to supercharge it, but I am tempted to send the heads back to Dave and have him CNC them and bump up the cam spec's. Just curious what type of fuel mileage the car gets if you stay out of it and cruise?

Attachments

• eng2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 446
Sounds glorious! I opted for a 480 hp build on my 408. Now, as always, I yearn for more power, but am trying to learn to be content because it is daily driver friendly and still hauls the mail when pressed. I don't want to spray it and don't want to supercharge it, but I am tempted to send the heads back to Dave and have him CNC them and bump up the cam spec's. Just curious what type of fuel mileage the car gets if you stay out of it and cruise?

Hey jbc,

Yup, Dave and his crew did me good. They are only an hour and half from me, out in the sticks. Fuel mileage....what fuel mileage! but seriously, I only take it on short drives and they are all in town. I get it out about 5 miles out in the country sometimes, but never checked the mileage. I would venture to say, if I stayed out of it, probably in the 5 to 8 range, if I am lucky.

I've actually been wanting to see some video of this car in action! Searching for something else and came across this. Awesome car!

When you are ready for some fresh back tires, try a set of Nitto Drag Radials. They really help both my cars to hook up pretty hard. My '70 used to smoke the tires and drift sideways on the freeway at 70 mph in 3rd. I put on a set of 325/50-15 Nittos, and now it hooks up hard in 2nd and 3rd. I still have to feather it in 1st to hook, but the difference is nothing short of amazing. They even give acceptable traction in the rain.

nice - sounds a LOT like my set up - 408, 727, 4.10's - curious, how did you get to your HP#? 580HP sounds high to me.. not doubting you, just curious. If you are at 580, you are probably under with that 850cfm carburetor - I would think a 1000cfm carb. (or more) would work on there.
took one of my sons out for a little ride the other day and he had his camera on. 408 stroker, about 580 hp, 904 trans, 4.10 back end. Rolling about 20 in second and nailed it. Let off a little over 90 about 6 seconds later.

71 Dart Swinger - YouTube

When you are ready for some fresh back tires, try a set of Nitto Drag Radials. They really help both my cars to hook up pretty hard. My '70 used to smoke the tires and drift sideways on the freeway at 70 mph in 3rd. I put on a set of 325/50-15 Nittos, and now it hooks up hard in 2nd and 3rd. I still have to feather it in 1st to hook, but the difference is nothing short of amazing. They even give acceptable traction in the rain.

Wow, smoking the tires in 3rd @ 70, even with skinny tires, must have some oats under that hood. I am really waiting to tub out the car and stick another axle under it with some 4:56's, but thanks for the words of wisdom.

nice - sounds a LOT like my set up - 408, 727, 4.10's - curious, how did you get to your HP#? 580HP sounds high to me.. not doubting you, just curious. If you are at 580, you are probably under with that 850cfm carburetor - I would think a 1000cfm carb. (or more) would work on there.

Hey Scamp, although I have never had it dyno'd, over the past several years I have read hundreds of builds, many of them with actual dyno numbers and possibly I could be a little high (in a matter of speaking that is..), but every time I think my number is close, then I see someone who has actual numbers that are even higher. So it really is a calculated guess. I was absolutely meticulous on the build, again to the best of my abilities, so if I am off, probably not by much. Agree with you on the carb. I was running a 750 HP Holley and when I went to the QF 850, it sure seemed to wake it up. All of the driving has been on the street, I need a cage, tub the backend and more rubber for a strip jaunt. The elusive time and money will telll....Thanks

850 is fine, and you can fit 275 Nitto DRs in the stock wheel well with the right Back Spaced wheel. Looks and sounds sweet.

-
Back