shortening axle splines

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
8&3/4 axles, the splined end needs to be shortened a bit, can you use a chop saw then some deburring? thank you for your time. RR

Yes, go slow keep the heat low.

but why do they need shortening?

As Dana said very low speed and plenty of some type of cutting oil to keep the blade and axle cool.

its a buddy that is doing it, not for sure exactly what is going on there. he is not on a computer so I am finding out for him. I think it is B body axles that have been cut down/resplined. thanks guys for the info, I will pass it on. RR

its a buddy that is doing it, not for sure exactly what is going on there. he is not on a computer so I am finding out for him. I think it is B body axles that have been cut down/resplined. thanks guys for the info, I will pass it on. RR
The common move by Moser back in the day was to cut & re-spline C-body axles for A-body housings, giving You the LBP & wider 10" or 11" drum brakes. They would not re-harden them, and My Buddy twisted them off inside His 3.91 Sure Grip, 340 4spd '67 Dart GT. Had to burn holes in the housing and cut the axles in half to get them out. Auto & easy to turn street tires probably OK, but I woudn't use them on anything serious, just My 2cents.
I agree with the above, chop saw it with coolant, done.

Yes sir. I use a large fiber wheel on a miter saw. When you get done, chamfer the edge all the way around just a little, then clean the splines out.

-
Back