Shortening driveshaft - how to measure?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
Making progress on my A500 tranny swap.

As far as having my driveshaft shortened. I was just going to measure center of front u-joint to center of rear u-joint.
My question I guess is about measuring. I was planning on sliding my new slip yoke into the tranny till it stops, and then pull it back , what, 1" ? Then measure from the center of the new yoke to the center of the yoke at the diff.

Sound about right?

Put the slip yoke in the tranny and slide it all the way forward... Then measure from the center of the u-joint of the slip yoke to the center of the u-joint for the rear diff... Then subtract 1" for installation...

That's how my local driveline shop tells us to measure....

Make sure the rear suspension is loaded when you measure it. I put two jack stands under my axle tubes and let weight of the car sit on it.

Here’s what (Cass) Dr. Diff says, pretty much what’s been said.

50A8E020-72AC-40E3-AE4E-C0F63A273803.jpeg

Cool, so looks like I was on the right track.
Thanks y'all.

And yes I have the rear of the car supported under the axle, so it should be at ride height.

The further out the yoke sticks; the more prone it is to vibration. One inch is good on a four wheel drive, but your yoke MIGHT go in and out 1/4". I cut my own and I just leave enough room to get the u-joint off the rear yoke.

-
Back