shots from the garage...

-
Did you find anything messed up inside from all that endplay?
No it was actually quite clean inside. Tightened up the rear clutch with a snap ring and one thicker steel. We have a box of new parts so maybe this weekend we’ll bolt it together.

Got a couple of “fun” events slated for this fall. One will give me the opportunity to make some passes at Pomona, and the other to maybe beat the “curse” of Irwindale!

IMG_1842.jpeg

IMG_3221.jpeg

boring summer project. Helping a friend out with a 727 upgrade and bought some spare steel reminates to finally make a fixture to hold a 727/904.

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4068.jpeg

Well had hoped to kick off our fall schedule with an ANRA race at Famoso the last weekend in sept, but that work thing got in the way so we opted in to the Nostalgia Nationals. Got the wheels back on the trailer and we’ll clean and load this weekend since the oven like temps have seemed to have finally subsided. Man I’m ready to get in the car again!!

IMG_1931.jpeg

I’ll be attending that also just because it gives me an opportunity to run at Pomona :). Diesel was 4.39 here Tuesday…… now it’s 5.15. They ain’t making this easier.

I’ll be attending that also just because it gives me an opportunity to run at Pomona :). Diesel was 4.39 here Tuesday…… now it’s 5.15. They ain’t making this easier.
Wow! Here is SD we are sitting anywhere from $4.07-$4.39 for diesel. Prices jumped for us almost two weeks ago. Similar jumps here. One station went from $3.15 for the cheap stuff to $4.19 in one day. Good luck on race day!

T-brake backs up, had all three gears on my neighborhood cruise…. forgot it had a brand new transmission

IMG_4802.jpeg

Thanks to marketplace I’ve become a smallblock valve cover collector. I had to have the Mickeys as my first 340 sported those covers back in the 90s. I’ll be painting them corporate blue just like back in the day. They’ll join my Direct Connection one on the wall. I’d hang one of my MP wide covers but I’m afraid they’ll bring the wall down

IMG_4508.jpeg

It was great being back in the car and right out of the box I cut an .018 light, but they got progressively worse every time I went up and on Sunday we lost in R3 due to that trend.
An interesting occurrence was that on our first test pass friday was the car felt “weird”. Came up on the 3800 chip fine but when the car left it went straight out and the normal instantaneous shift light actually took some time. Got back to the trailer we had a horrid 1.399 60 time. My crew guy indicated no spin and it certainly didn’t feel like it…. it just felt lazy. Mph wasn’t too bad, off a couple numbers. For the next pass I got the Racepak up and running. We don’t pull data much anymore as between laptop issues and RP issues it’s kind of a pita, but pass 1 was an excellent reason as why we should. Pass two was a similar launch and what we found was suddenly we have a 4750 stall converter. Normally I’d point a finger at the magical coupling device, but the unit worked fine in our old trans. I simply moved it to the new unit….. with one exception. We changed transmission fluid. I’ve run ATF+4 for ever as it’s available cheap at work. This go round I switched to LAT Pro ATF which has a 30 weight viscosity rating. Now I’m not certain of the rating on the +4, but as an experiment on warm up for pass 3 I got up on the tbrake a few times and got the trans temp up. 1.29 60….. , next pass 1.27. Stall speed is still lower but the car came back some. Prepping the car for Pomona this coming weekend and I’m currently draining the trans and will go back to +4 just to see if that will get my flash back. Should be 5800-6k.

Dang that’s certainly a heck of a stall change from fluid. Will be curious to see if it all comes back from goin to ATF +4. If it doesn’t, I’d be having the converter sent out to be checked. If it has a sprag, opposed to mechanical diode or spragless insert, that’s usually what breaks as I’m sure you’re aware.

Sometimes I feel like I probably shouldn’t own a racecar….. we’ll get back to that.
the in-n-out festival was quite the large shindig. Two stages, mobile museum, carnival. It’s more than fast food….it’s an institution. We all flew into this event blind from a race standpoint. All we knew was “qualifying Saturday“…..but for what??
there was a GM, Ford, Mopar groups and what they did was take the fastest qualifiers from each group, and you got to the bracket style race Sunday, so basically a champion in each group. I ran a 9.42 my first pass, but when hitting the traps and hitting the brakes violent front end shake…..again. Felt this at Famoso the week before and thought rotors?? …so I threw my new set on prior to this event. Obviously a swing and miss. Jacked the car up, and all felt tight. In a conversation with a few friends one noted chasing a similar issue and found his K member bolts had loosened. Crawled back under and there was the smoking gun…. The right rear one was mia. By this time I’d missed the 2nd pass and although they did have a cleanup pass, we decided to throw in the towel and just get it home and check things over. It was quite obvious from the scrape marks the K had been dancing around quite a bit. Got home and dropped the K out and checked the welds etc. got it back together and will get it to work and see how the alignment goes. Hope it’s not bent. So I got to make a pass at Pomona, got the T-shirt, and got to watch some nice cars make hits.
btw Shiloh Davies brought his small tire heads up Dart with an 8.40 tune and won the mopar side. He was the #2 quickest mopar with Eric Dondero (Plymouth Arrow) at #1 with an 8.11 (later went 8.09). Great Showing for the small block mopar crowd. I was at #7, but I’m sure we could have improved on that a bit. plan was to go to Famoso this coming weekend, but we’re skipping on that one. Spent enough on fuel for awhile.

I looked for you, but there were so many cars I couldn’t find you. We did not take the car, but had a great time regardless. Glad your issue wasn’t worse and you got home safe.

I did get to talk with John Force and Jay Leno for a bit, that was awesome..
I think I’m finally healed from walking over 6 miles that day.:lol:

Well I guess the Dec 9 date is out. irwindale has stacked a postponed event due to weather on top of the Mopar day. Currently looking at AZ events.

Last edited:
Wasted an absolutely beautiful morning getting the front end straightened out, but we got her happy again. Luckily the alignment rack at work was free to play on. Busy couple of weekends and it’ll be December before we know it.

IMG_5654.jpeg

Wasted an absolutely beautiful morning getting the front end straightened out, but we got her happy again. Luckily the alignment rack at work was free to play on. Busy couple of weekends and it’ll be December before we know it.

View attachment 1716168162

Not technically wasted as you accomplish something. Was it out very bad. Now in your head you know it’s ready to go.

Well ever time the K is removed it moves it around a bit. The right side I did have to shorten the lower control arms three turns on the heim ends to allow the upper adjusters a window to achieve good numbers. I REALLY had to force myself to get this done. Between holidays and work schedules this was about the only window I had. Spent 2.5 hrs on it.

Today on drunken buy it now we entered the mopar vs the world class at Irwindale next weekend. So I’ll let them know at work tomorrow I won’t be in Friday . Hey it’s December and I’m scheduling race plans! This may never happen again!

Well it was a fight…. made two miserable 6.11 / 6.09 passes on Friday. We have tune issues, trans issues, chassis issues. This is fun right?? Screwed up getting data so that was no help. I ended up loading the car in the trailer, turned the heat on and pulled the carb off and tore it down. Cleaned, checked passages all looked well. In the morning kicked the car out and changed spark plugs. Also did a drastic drop in jetting. Got up for our 1 and only time hit and she hooked and booked! got us a new low ET! The launch graph still looks ugly and I‘m betting we could have broken into the 5.6s with the old trans. dialed a 5.71 and went .004 red 1st round. Car went 1.26 60 and ran 5.75.

IMG_5955.jpeg

Happy it got sorted out for a low ET pass. Sorry you had to fight to get it there. Isn’t this sport fun?
Yes…. It can be challenging at times for sure. To be honest I wasn’t expecting much. I’m finding I have a tendency to overjet and I need to pay attention to data more than I do. Easy to get lazy and this mill is certainly more finicky than some I’ve had. My next biggest task is to figure out the front end shake while braking. Seems if I tap them a couple times and ease into them it’s “ok”, but at short shutdown tracks that’s not always the option. probably done till 24, but we had some fun this year.

IMG_5918.jpeg

Yes…. It can be challenging at times for sure. To be honest I wasn’t expecting much. I’m finding I have a tendency to overjet and I need to pay attention to data more than I do. Easy to get lazy and this mill is certainly more finicky than some I’ve had. My next biggest task is to figure out the front end shake while braking. Seems if I tap them a couple times and ease into them it’s “ok”, but at short shutdown tracks that’s not always the option. probably done till 24, but we had some fun this year.

View attachment 1716176790
Do you race year round in Arizona?

-
Back