shots from the garage...

-
Pretty close, but I usually pull the plug from late May until September. Vegas takes a summer break, but tracks in CA can still be running events.
I imagine that's a great idea...it's too fn hot there

Well it was a fight…. made two miserable 6.11 / 6.09 passes on Friday. We have tune issues, trans issues, chassis issues. This is fun right?? Screwed up getting data so that was no help. I ended up loading the car in the trailer, turned the heat on and pulled the carb off and tore it down. Cleaned, checked passages all looked well. In the morning kicked the car out and changed spark plugs. Also did a drastic drop in jetting. Got up for our 1 and only time hit and she hooked and booked! got us a new low ET! The launch graph still looks ugly and I‘m betting we could have broken into the 5.6s with the old trans. dialed a 5.71 and went .004 red 1st round. Car went 1.26 60 and ran 5.75.

View attachment 1716176639
Very impressive all considered!

……all considered whos wheeling and tuning this!

The 5.7 pass…. on graph. my biggest enemy is probably myself as I tend to run on the rich side. That certainly showed as we dropped jet… a lot of jet and performed much better. Even on these graphs there is still an “occurrence“ around 5400 with the converter coming off the brake that I question. We don’t graph every pass and actually after we became somewhat comfortable with the car really quit using it…. which is lazy and it would have been nice to consult other passes for comparison. I did find some earlier passes (this spring) that looked fairly decent, but once I stretched the graph out there was still a bump at that rpm. tons of rpm fallback that could probably be improved upon. Not sure why I’m fixated on that 6000-6200 stall. Thats where my 727 converters were and it seemed the car worked well, of course here I am looking at the best hit the car has made….. maybe I should leave well enough alone.

IMG_6052.jpeg

The 5.7 pass…. on graph. my biggest enemy is probably myself as I tend to run on the rich side. That certainly showed as we dropped jet… a lot of jet and performed much better. Even on these graphs there is still an “occurrence“ around 5400 with the converter coming off the brake that I question. We don’t graph every pass and actually after we became somewhat comfortable with the car really quit using it…. which is lazy and it would have been nice to consult other passes for comparison. I did find some earlier passes (this spring) that looked fairly decent, but once I stretched the graph out there was still a bump at that rpm. tons of rpm fallback that could probably be improved upon. Not sure why I’m fixated on that 6000-6200 stall. Thats where my 727 converters were and it seemed the car worked well, of course here I am looking at the best hit the car has made….. maybe I should leave well enough alone.

View attachment 1716180283
Nice data/info! What is the updating frequency of the A/F meter? I assume that the scale line '4000' is 11 and '6000' is 13? I never believe the precise reading of the A/F because of so many variables BUT, it's a good ballpark reference. In my application and some I have worked with it'll indicate LEANER that what it actually is so yes you probably have room to jet down (always referencing the plug readings) I'd start looking really close at those, to see how distribution falls! because you have a bank or average. Also I'd like to see the other bank in comparison. And yes there's more in a higher stall. But I still feel there may be a couple MPH left in the 660. If it were me I'd start playing with airpans and see if the data varies before I'd assume something else needs 'fixing'.

Come on Sean….. “updating frequency“?? I can barely record a run let alone split hairs on the variables. Actually I tried a bit to find that info with little success. I did however dig up some older passes and they also have that “dip” at 5400, but not very notable until I stretch the time out some then you can see it. Converter going away? I did note on the AF on this pass it was even a bit leaner, so perhaps maybe it was just my poor tuning decision that hampered enough HP for this to occur. By the way this converter with our iron head was like a 5200 stall which is way wrong for the combo, but after the wheel stand event a couple years ago we threw it back in to make a few races. Was interesting to see the effects of a lesser hp mill on the stall. Still my gut feeling to pursue another converter :)

Unloaded the ride from the trailer. I’m not gonna lie, I rather enjoyed the free space in the garage. Oil changed, lash adjusted, new set of valve cover gaskets. I finally swapped out the 8 mile long front wheel studs that have been on the car forever. Not sure why they were on there but the look is much better now. I’ve also come to the conclusion that the K member is bent on the right side. Got a call in to my chassis guy to take a look at that along with a couple other things. Fault totally mine… somewhere the right rear K member bolt ended up missing. Needless to say hitting the brakes at 145+ put some undue stresses on things. Hopefully get things done sooner than later.

IMG_6706.jpeg

IMG_6687.jpeg

IMG_6761.jpeg

Unloaded the ride from the trailer. I’m not gonna lie, I rather enjoyed the free space in the garage. Oil changed, lash adjusted, new set of valve cover gaskets. I finally swapped out the 8 mile long front wheel studs that have been on the car forever. Not sure why they were on there but the look is much better now. I’ve also come to the conclusion that the K member is bent on the right side. Got a call in to my chassis guy to take a look at that along with a couple other things. Fault totally mine… somewhere the right rear K member bolt ended up missing. Needless to say hitting the brakes at 145+ put some undue stresses on things. Hopefully get things done sooner than later.

View attachment 1716199872

View attachment 1716199874

View attachment 1716199876
I know the feeling, when the garage is empty it does have a good feeling about it. But, it's a temporary feeling for me. I reread the last posts here and am wondering if that funny spot at 5400 can't be fixed with a carb tweak? Also, vicariously I am enjoying that it's running so good lately and look forward to more. If you happen into a pot-full of extra cash, check-out some of beadlock conversions MacFab does on the convopro. It's one of my favorite rim styles again!

View attachment 1716199872

View attachment 1716199874

View attachment 1716199876
Do you have a tubular K-member on your car? I had the same thing happen to the 72 Dart that I had prior, except it was the front right bolt came out and it still had the factory K-member that had been modified to accept a rack/pinion setup. With the missing bolt the back side of the K-member finally cracked and that was an that got my attention! Thankfully I wasn't making a run at the time but was backing up to my trailer after a run. Went with a Tory Shellehamer tubular coil over front suspension after that.

I do have a tube K….. and it’s very light, and on the delicate side. Comp Chassis in Phoenix builds them in house, and Mike made it perfectly clear….. “race car stuff!” It’s actually worked flawlessly until my stupidity interferes with its performance. I destroyed one on the bumper dragging episode, and now my letting bolts fall out has done this one no favors…… Tory’s set up is very nice. I contemplated about contacting him to see if my GM spindles would work with his stuff, but we’ll repair and move forward.

…..If you happen into a pot-full of extra cash, check-out some of beadlock conversions MacFab does on the convopro. It's one of my favorite rim styles again!
I think Jeff Danielson sends me pictures like monthly of those. “Bead lock money” has been a long running joke

This sucks…… my “go to” chassis guy is between shops so I’m on hold for K repair. All my west coast gang are in Vegas for muscle cars at the strip and here I sit dead in the water. In the mean time I sent my Convos to MacFab and let them do their magic. I hope the ole side chick appreciates the jewelry :) . Also added an Auto Meter AFR gauge on the right bank. If nothing else I can compare the Racepak reading on the left.

IMG_7362.jpeg

IMG_7323.jpeg

IMG_7334.jpeg

This sucks…… my “go to” chassis guy is between shops so I’m on hold for K repair. All my west coast gang are in Vegas for muscle cars at the strip and here I sit dead in the water. In the mean time I sent my Convos to MacFab and let them do their magic. I hope the ole side chick appreciates the jewelry :) . Also added an Auto Meter AFR gauge on the right bank. If nothing else I can compare the Racepak reading on the left.

View attachment 1716222629

View attachment 1716222630

View attachment 1716222631

RSdamn.jpg

How long was the current turn-around time from MacFab?

Car looks excellent with the blue bead lock rings.
From western AZ to NC and back shipped them Feb 29, got them back March 13.

…..and they already served me well as apparently when I removed the tires at work on our POS tire machine I dinged a tube. was nice to pull the ring and swap a new tube in. I’ll patch the other and it’ll be my spare.

Looks good. Any word on when Mike will be able to get you in to get the front end squared away?

Are you running the Racepak AF1 O2 setup? I picked up a set and going to install them.

Looks good. Any word on when Mike will be able to get you in to get the front end squared away?

Are you running the Racepak AF1 O2 setup? I picked up a set and going to install them.
Called and left a message today at his work #…. I run the Racepak O2 on the left bank only.

Probably a good thing I haven’t been racing as the house got a new A/C system. Kind of important in these parts. Pushed the car back to make some room and was greeted with a small puddle of something…. Thought it was brake fluid but alas, it’s shock oil. So I guess the Afcos will get sent in for some love too.

IMG_7439.jpeg

Probably a good thing I haven’t been racing as the house got a new A/C system. Kind of important in these parts. Pushed the car back to make some room and was greeted with a small puddle of something…. Thought it was brake fluid but alas, it’s shock oil. So I guess the Afcos will get sent in for some love too.

View attachment 1716225661

Nice switch panel.

I really like it….. and I mounted the bracket I made away from the dash for an easy reach strapped in. For my first harbor freight aluminum solder project it turned out quite well. It had a Painless set up previously which was “ok” but I like the smaller size of this set up, that and it easier to add on to. …..and that large red halo around the start button aids me in reducing the amount of times I get into the car…….. and forget to turn the damn battery switch on!

-
Back