should i buy this 318

-

dartman74

Reaction score
Need some advice from you guys out there. I just came across this ad and wondering if it is worth jumping on and getting. Here is what is being offered at a price of 200.00. I need a motor but I don't want to screw myself either.

318 out of a 71 dart, has a crane cams energizer, Duration 260/272, Lift .427/.454

rebuilt & ported "302" casting heads (small combustion chambers for higher compression, hardened seats for unleaded gas)

freshly rebuilt, new bearings and gaskets, rehoned cylinders, new water pump. all it needs is a carb and intake. even includes flexplate.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would jump on it. The 302 castings are good heads for a 318 build. Of course all of this depends on how tired the engine is, but you can't beat $200

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would jump on it. The 302 castings are good heads for a 318 build. Of course all of this depends on how tired the engine is, but you can't beat $200

I agree, if it's what is claimed then $200 is a deal. The only way to lose on it is if there are lobes missing on the cam and there's a crack straight down the middle of the block, but if the heads are sound then there's your $200.

sounds too fishy to me!. come on, just the rebuild parts will set you back more than the price. need to make sure it was not installed in car, run with no oil, or rings are bad and then they yanked it out to pawn off!

I agree it does sound fishy. I am waiting to hear back from the guy to ask all of these questions. but then again, you never know if you don't check either.

buy it thinking its good as a core for a build only that way if you end up with a good engine its a gain not a loss

Sound too good to be true. The heads are worth more then that at the pick and pull if they are'nt cracked. buyer beware.

if it sounds too good to be true its too good to be true haha

Buy it. 318 are cheap, maybe the dude knows it and has to come down to move it in the company of 30 others on craigslist locally. Even if the motor is shot, heads and cam are worth 200. I'd hit it...

its not like you are talking about 5 or 600 bucks! 200 for a complete builder is not bad at all...

its not like you are talking about 5 or 600 bucks! 200 for a complete builder is not bad at all...

thats what I thought about a good running 318 magnum for 200, had good compression and oil pressure and didn't knock or smoke. bought it and the oil pan was full of steel wool (bearing material):eek:ops:

thats what I thought about a good running 318 magnum for 200, had good compression and oil pressure and didn't knock or smoke. bought it and the oil pan was full of steel wool (bearing material):eek:ops:
wow. i just bought a 318/727 for 3 hundred. the oil looked good,tranny fluid nice and pink (like we like em' lol) and i took a chance and threw it in. that was 3000 miles ago, good strong motor, no noise no smoke.tranny works killer.

That sounds about right. There was a member who had a rering/sort of redone 69 318 with a 340 cam and I think it sold to some guy in IN for what $200? He had a video of it running on an engine stand.

-
Back