Should I gasket seal on transmission pan?

-

flynlady

Reaction score
Guy at auto parts store said no ... Husband says yes.

What do you think?

A little 3m adhesive in a few spots will hold the gasket in place. No sealer is needed just trust the gasket and don't over tighten.

No, no gasket sealer on it. If it's a cork gasket, as mentioned previously, a little sealer on each corner will do fine. You can also dab vaseoline on it,as you're only trying to hold it in place on the pan.
If it's a duraprene (coated hard material, either brownish or black) no sealer of any kind as the coating will act as a sealer when the transmission is at operating temperature.

Nope. No sealer. As mentioned some adhesive just to hold it in place. I like 3M Yellow Whetherstrip, but I usually install trans pan gaskets dry.

Just need to make sure the flange on the trans pan is not bent up or distorted from being over tightened in the past. Should be nice and flat even at the bolt holes. "I would say no sealant"

Oh and you should never question your husband, He will always be right till he's wrong.

I never use sealer and have no problems. But I also always make sure the sealing surfaces on the pan and trans. case are flat and not distorted.

ive done it all ways mentioned and a few others never had any luck making a torque flight pan seal,,,,going for the cast aluminum pan next,,,lol

Another avenue for you to consider, is to use the factory gasket that is used on the A500's and the A518'S. As I recall, its a rubber type material with a steel insert. GM & FORD when they first started using them called them a Zero Leak Gasket, and having owned a couple of Chebbies in the last 15 years, I can testify they don't leak. I used this type of gasket on my Challenger when I serviced the trans the last time, and NO LEAKS. Only problem is, you must torque them to factory specs with a torque wrench.
Also, as others have pointed out, make sure the pan rail is flat, especially around the bolt holes.

The new gasket are nylon over steel with a molded in double silicone sealing bead, very nice.
Available from the dealer.. No sealant required.
part # for

727 is 2464324ac

904 is 4295875ac

Sure, i have pulled pans glued to transmissions with sealant many times and there were never puddles under them. But why would you need to when there are the rubber over steel gaskets mentioned available that go on dry and come off as easily? Just make sure the pan is laser straight, tap down high spots with a mallet over a straight edge like the side of a square punch and torque to recommended spec, ie, 15 inch/lbs.

The new gasket are nylon over steel with a molded in double silicone sealing bead, very nice.
Available from the dealer.. No sealant required.
part # for

727 is 2464324ac

904 is 4295875ac

That is a nice looking gasket. I might have to try one next time. As others have said straight pan and cork gasket no leaks.

-
Back