Should I leave the tail panel or not

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After several failed attempts to buy a new trunk lid. I'm think about using my current trunk with tail panel, but at times I like the clean look without finish panel. I'm building a GTS clone out of my Dart GT convertible. I'm planning on using a 340 with fuel injection for nice cruiser. My current trunk lid had the lock cylinder punched in at one point and had the hole filled, I opened it up and it looked horrible. I bought a finish panel and kind of screwed up the trunk lid more when I drilled holes for it. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a rusty trunk lid, that I saw and the nats. What do you guys think about it?

1. Fix trunk lid and use finish panel.
or
2. Use different trunk lid with out holes and messed up lock hole

After several failed attempts to buy a new trunk lid. I'm think about using my current trunk with tail panel, but at times I like the clean look without finish panel. I'm building a GTS clone out of my Dart GT convertible. I'm planning on using a 340 with fuel injection for nice cruiser. My current trunk lid had the lock cylinder punched in at one point and had the hole filled, I opened it up and it looked horrible. I bought a finish panel and kind of screwed up the trunk lid more when I drilled holes for it. I don't want to spend a ton of money on a rusty trunk lid, that I saw and the nats. What do you guys think about it?

1. Fix trunk lid and use finish panel.
or
2. Use different trunk lid with out holes and messed up lock hole

With and without. 6 in one hand. A half dozen in the other.

I'd go with whatever is easiest for you or what you like the most.

Attachments

• 946911_10201040518804557_1488499933_n.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 20150430_150936.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 228
If you have a nice straight one it will look fantastic but if yours is beat up it takes away from an otherwise clean ride.

What year tailpanel ? I am looking for one for my 68 GTS. PM me if need be.

I like the clean look, But it's your car do whatever makes you happy! Good luck with whatever you decide.

The finish panel beats up the paint underneath and is also an area prone to rust.

when the finish panel is next to perfect they look killer, when they are beat up it makes the whole *** end look beat up , kind of like my EX wife lol

Have been trying for 22 years to get the 6 pieces to put one on my car. I have everything now with many pieces bought to get the very best parts and a LOT OF MONEY

Hope to get installed sometime this year

The name says it all FINISH PANEL to give it the finished look

View attachment image.jpg

I welded up the holes when the car got painted 11 years ago, I have an extra rusted trunk lid to have for pattern to redrill the holes

For a GTS clone you need a panel

when the finish panel is next to perfect they look killer, when they are beat up it makes the whole *** end look beat up , kind of like my EX wife lol

I would agree, not like I've seen your ex's *** or anything...lol

But with the tail panels, it's hard to find a nice one, but they look great when they are in good condition. I'd hate to put a beat up one on a car with nice paint, just takes away from it.

I'm gonna put my tail.panel on in its just slightly dented form while my car looks like crap, that way it'll make my car look better!

I say put it on, gives it a more complete appearance.

-
Back