Show me your frame connectors

-

sleepyhead416

Reaction score
I'm ready to put frame connectors in my 69 DART PROJECT. Don't know whether to buy a set or make a set.

There is a member named seymour_scamp that makes them. Very nice part for a very nice price, great service, great guy to deal with.

This is what I did: http://www.rhphoto.com/frame_connectors.html

DSC_1425.jpg

DSC_1429.jpg

If you have a welder and a chop saw. I would buy 1.5 x 3 steel tube and make them. About $40.00 in metal and you do not have to cut the floor. You will also need 2 - 3 x 5 pieces of plate steel for the ends. I have done one set on a 68 Dart and will be putting a set in a 64 Dart in the near future.

If you want to cut and weld them into the floor use 2 x 3 steel tube, this is my 2 cents.

Sam

is there a way to do frame connectors without having to cut into the floor? im willing to build them myself, in fact id rather. also will round tube work?

everybody goes to so much work to make these...

ok so on one end of a peice of 2x2 .120 wall square tubing

put a slice in each corner and bend out,so it fits on/around the torsion bar cross member

then make a 45* cut on the rear. make the longest side on top with about an ich past the rear sub frame...

then weld...

no cutting of the floor or nothing... i can get better pics monday if you like..

have a car on the rotisserie...

Attachments

• 101_4074.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 304
cool thanks, some better pics would help if you could. i also dont exactly understand what you mean when you say
"put a slice in each corner and bend out,so it fits on/around the torsion bar cross member"
thanks
marc

cool thanks, some better pics would help if you could. i also dont exactly understand what you mean when you say
"put a slice in each corner and bend out,so it fits on/around the torsion bar cross member"
thanks
marc

i'll get better pics for you... lol...

and yes... no floor mods other then a little hammer/dolly to flatten it out...

Mine are thru the floor.....don't see what the big deal is, unless of course you have an "original " car......Mine were done so that the plate was not needed to attach the cage to the floor.....

Attachments

• 08.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 251
thanks
marc
Look at A-body Joes pics,it,s real easy to do if you have any metal work knowledge.Saves $100 doing yourself.
View attachment car pics 66 Dart 071.jpg

thanks you guys are awesome. ill probably end up making a set, as a side note would i be able to route my exhaust through them to eliminate the need for a hanger? i was gonna go out the side with them anyway kida like on a challenge T/A

ok here are the pics...

Attachments

• 0321110829.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 238
  • 0321110829a.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 205
  • 0321110832.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 196
OK, I'll jump in here.

I did my own subframe connectors. I tried to model them after the Hotchkis connectors, with a few changes.

I used 1-1/2" X 2-1/2" rectangular tubing, 1/8" wall thickness.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but basically I welded a flat plate to the front to weld to the crossmember, and another small plate underneath for more weld area at the front.

My connectors dont come through the floor, they fit tight up against the floor. I did make one small modification to the floor as you can see in one of the pics. I cut down the center of one of the "ribs" on the floor, then hammered it flat, welded it back together and covered it with seam sealer. This lets the connector sit higher up against the floor.

I beveled and capped the rear of the connector so it fits tight up against the front of the rear subframe.
I then cut plates out of 1/8" stock, that weld to the sides of the connector at the rear, and surround the rear subframe, these plates are welded to the sides of the rear-sub.
In these pics the connector still need another piece of 1/8" plate welded to the bottom of the rear section to finish it off.

Here are the pics in no peticular order.

Attachments

• sub-6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 177
  • sub-5.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 184
  • sub-4.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 171
  • sub-3.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 177
  • sub-2.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 182
  • sub-1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 186
  • sub-7.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 193
Auto Rust Tech in Rhode Island made mine and was featured in Mopar Enthusiast a year or so ago....

-
Back