Show us your home made tools

-
I made a tool to straighten out coils of tubing. Makes it much easier to work with if it's straight and your bends will be more accurate. The tool works perfectly, tubing comes out arrow straight. Angle iron and patio door rollers.

Attachments

• IMG_9623 (800x600).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,901
  • IMG_9624 (800x600).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,747
I made a tool to straighten out coils of tubing. Makes it much easier to work with if it's straight and your bends will be more accurate. The tool works perfectly, tubing comes out arrow straight. Angle iron and patio door rollers.

Now that's cool. I don't know how many times I've had a coil of tubing I had to straighten. Can never get it good and straight by hand

Now that's cool. I don't know how many times I've had a coil of tubing I had to straighten. Can never get it good and straight by hand

Thanks! It really has helped me on my various plumbing projects.

And its true, no matter how hard I try, I can never get it totally straight by hand. There are in fact tools for this purpose available through various retail outlets but they are ridiculously expensive which of course was my motivation for making it. If you're a shop that does a lot of plumbing it would make sense to buy one but for me and my once-in-a-while things, the tool I made works great.

The way it is in the picture works good for steel 3/16 and 3/8 lines. I put washers in between the angle pieces to allow the larger tubing to roll easier.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for aluminum tubing and aluminum is the toughest to straighten by hand. I got one of those Moroso 20 ft coils to do my trans. cooler lines. I tried it with the steel rollers and the tubing was getting marred. I looked around at Home Depot and the hardware store but I could not find the right rollers. It needs ones that are large enough for 3/8 tubing and made of softer material.

One day recently I saw someone down the street put an old bed frame out on the curb for trash so I grabbed the delrin wheels off it and tried to grind down channels in them to accommodate the tubing. It turned in to a mess though and didn't work. I'll look around again for better rollers if I have to do more in the future.

I gotta make a metal brake for myself too. I've been making brackets and such for my Duster which all seem to come out a little off because I'm bending stuff in a vice. I really dislike half-assed fabrication. :-|

Wish I had a pic of my home made sand blast cabinet too but I can't find one and it's not here at my house. It's large enough to accommodate a rear end housing, has a light, a vacuum system, casters to roll it around and shelf to keep the media bucket on. Worked good for small things but my compressor couldn't keep up with it when I tried to do larger parts.

Tools rule!

Thanks! It really has helped me on my various plumbing projects.

And its true, no matter how hard I try, I can never get it totally straight by hand. There are in fact tools for this purpose available through various retail outlets but they are ridiculously expensive which of course was my motivation for making it. If you're a shop that does a lot of plumbing it would make sense to buy one but for me and my once-in-a-while things, the tool I made works great.

The way it is in the picture works good for steel 3/16 and 3/8 lines. I put washers in between the angle pieces to allow the larger tubing to roll easier.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for aluminum tubing and aluminum is the toughest to straighten by hand. I got one of those Moroso 20 ft coils to do my trans. cooler lines. I tried it with the steel rollers and the tubing was getting marred. I looked around at Home Depot and the hardware store but I could not find the right rollers. It needs ones that are large enough for 3/8 tubing and made of softer material.

One day recently I saw someone down the street put an old bed frame out on the curb for trash so I grabbed the delrin wheels off it and tried to grind down channels in them to accommodate the tubing. It turned in to a mess though and didn't work. I'll look around again for better rollers if I have to do more in the future.

I gotta make a metal brake for myself too. I've been making brackets and such for my Duster which all seem to come out a little off because I'm bending stuff in a vice. I really dislike half-assed fabrication. :-|

Wish I had a pic of my home made sand blast cabinet too but I can't find one and it's not here at my house. It's large enough to accommodate a rear end housing, has a light, a vacuum system, casters to roll it around and shelf to keep the media bucket on. Worked good for small things but my compressor couldn't keep up with it when I tried to do larger parts.

Tools rule!

I have some hose guide rollers I took off a forklift several yrs. ago and tossed in the junk box. Their some sort of plastic or delrin type material and are pretty small. Will have to check them out and see if I can built one cause I've got a roll of aluminum tubing coming for a fuel return line. If I remember right the hose was only about 1/2" o.d. so they may work. If you have a forklift repair shop close by you might want to check with them to see if they have any junkers you could find some on.

Well, all my projects didn't do as I expected... I did finish up a couple pry bars though.
C

Attachments

• DSC01562.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,666
  • DSC01563.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,609
Valve spring compressor and rod vise, my most recent tool projects

Attachments

• image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,632
I've got an old set of junk torsion bars I was thinking about doing the same with. Mine may not get painted that nice though, LOL

These were /6 bars, one was covered with oil, and the other covered with rust!
C

9E82FDF9-726E-4FC1-9FD4-D12769101450-1141-000004CD52FFA84C_zpsfb1ba73c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
F94083BC-72F6-44D2-B2EF-66F00BEAA6CA-1141-000004CD3577DC40_zps3d464715.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here is a circle cutter I made to cut 3" circles out of 1/4 plate. It will cut up to 14"
Harbor freight circle cutter Attachment, Ford 6.0 Water pump

Wish i could so you guys some of the stuff i make but its confidential. I'm a manufactoring engineer (i design tools) for a drilling company

A tool for applying the dipstick tube.

My dad made it back in the late 80's to put dipstic tube back into the block if it was stubborn. It's about 12" long and made from thick wall pipe (3/4"+/-) and the end taper is about 2 1/2" to 3" and cut down to approx. 1/2 pipe thickness and formed to "cup" the lip on the dipstick tube firmly. The other end of pipe was just a coupler with another piece of pipe threaded in and cut flush to have a more solid end to hammer on. (overkill, but that was my dad) ;)

I also have a number of bearing races that have had the OD ground down to be able to use them to reinstall new races if a similar sized socket or proper tool isn't around.

Attachments

• 20131102_143207.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,602
external spline counter

Attachments

• DSCF1321.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,416
  • DSCF1320.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,385
  • DSCF1319.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,389
  • DSCF1318.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 1,403
  • DSCF1317.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,421
  • DSCF1316.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 1,456
cheers fishy. just gota be careful to start in the groove. special tool 039 is internal spline counter, but still on drawing board. think got it sorted tho. watch this space. lol

cheers fishy. just gota be careful to start in the groove. special tool 039 is internal spline counter, but still on drawing board. think got it sorted tho. watch this space. lol

I also noticed the lines produced on the tape that you had wrapped around the shaft. Even in the picture I can count 27 splines which is correct for a non lockup 904. Is that white lithium grease you used on it to produce the lines?

nah mate bit o engineers chalk stick. just gota be careful when 1st start to rap the tape it dont slip and make sure it start in groove.

I just made a tool to install the harmonic balancer with the engine in the car. I made it out of 3/4 X 16 threaded rod 6 inches long, 3 nuts and 2 washers large enough to cover the hole in the balancer. I welded the end nut to rod, then had to weld 3/4 in washer to a 1 inch washer to make it large enough, 2 ea.
Just put the dampener on crank, and thread the rod into crank by hand until it stops, it doesnt need to be tight. Just hold the welded jut with 1 wrench and turn the other nut. It goes on with no effort at all.
The third nut I use to keep it together while in the tool box. The this can also be use to hold a degree wheel using both adjustable nuts.
I was able to get the dampener on with the radiator still in the car.

Attachments

• dampener tool sm 1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,331
  • dampener tool sm 2.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,308
  • dampener tool sm 4.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,288
-
Back