Show us your home made tools

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
After another member posted a pic of a home made tool he made I thought to start a thread showing off our home made tools. You know the ones that are usually expensive and you only use once a year. I made a few so I'll start off with a few I made. They aren't necessarily pretty but do the job just fine.

First 2 pics is a clutch pack spring retainer compressor that I originally built when rebuilding a buddies turbo 400. It also works just fine on Torqueflites. Not pretty but works fine.
BTW: I use mine in my press but I'm sure you could drill a hole through it and use threaded rod through the middle with a plate on the bottom to pull it together if you don't have a press.

Second pic is a set of dial indicator extensions I made from 3/8" aluminum round rod. I just unscrew the tip off of the dial indicator and slip on what ever length I need. Allot cheaper than buying 3 different length dial indicators. Only trick was drilling straight into them but with a drill press it isn't hard.

Third pic is an adjustable pushrod length checker made from 2 old pushrods. I just wacked them in half close to the lifter and ran a thread tap on them and coupled them back together with a long nut I found at ACE hardware. You'll see it works on both ball/ball and ball/cup pushrods and adjusts from 7.2 to 7.8". Only problem is you have to have the intake off to do it cause they won't go through the pushrod opening in the head. Next one I do I think I'll tap the i.d. and use a #8 or #10 screw with lock nuts for the adjuster. I think that should clear the opening in the head.

Fourth pic is a roller lifter I took the guts out of and made it solid. I use it when degreeing in cams.

Last 3 pics are a valve spring compressor for changing springs with the engine assembled onto the engine. I mainly use it to install the inner springs after cam break-in. It's real easy to use. Just bolt it down to the rocker shaft bolt holes between the cylinder your going to do. Do one then slide it over and do the other cylinder.

So if you guys have some other neat tools you would like to share with us please do so. And don't forget the pictures. I think we can all benefit from saving a few bucks.

Clutch pack compressor cage 1.jpg

Clutch pack compressor cage 2.jpg

Dial indicator extensions.jpg

Pushrod length checker.jpg

Roller lifter 1.jpg

Underside of valve spring compressor.jpg

Valve spring compressor 1.jpg

Valve spring compressor 2.jpg

Here's some I made.

First one is a Holley carburetor stand. Hey don't laugh, it works.

Second one is a spark plug air hose attachment tool. When heads are on engine, this holds valves closed for changing valve springs or seals.

Third one is an engine plate for pulling engines. This one I made but didn't weld. I don't trust my welding skills.

Fourth is a tool for turning the adjusters on an 8 3/4 rear. A fine example of my early welding ability. LOL

carb stand.jpg

plug.jpg

Engine Plate.jpg

preload adjusters.jpg

Second one is a spark plug air hose attachment tool. When heads are on engine, this holds valves closed for changing valve springs or seals.

I like that pnuematic valve tool - gotta make one of those!

Looks good Camd. I always planned on making an attachment for my floor jack but never seemed to get around to it. Maybe one of these days.

heres an easy one for anyone to slap together,

great on the end of a breaker bar for those extra tough bolts, removing glass and windscreens, makes a great clamp in allmost any position, or even that little bit of extra thump to move something stubborn.

just remember you saw it here first :)

A brilliant multi purpose tool :D apparently, theres a beefed up version with a steelcap boot attatched too!!
Picture268.jpg

i make em all the time and am right up there w/ fishy but my spring changer is made out of an old rocker and shaft. will post later for sure i thought about doing this same thread good one fishy.

cam--

i need to make one of these soon !! great idea ! are there any issues when you get the trans at an angle ?

Looks good Camd. I always planned on making an attachment for my floor jack but never seemed to get around to it. Maybe one of these days.
Ha! Here's mine. I put this on the floor jack and it lets me rock the tranny around to line everything up. What can I say, it works for me. LOL

transplatform1.jpg

transplatform.jpg

496dart, right now I'm working on one that has an adjuster on it so you can angle it but im going to have to modify the pad on my jack so it can be secured solid. this one works fine for the lighter 904's since you can just pick up the tail to lock it in. i will post some close ups of the mechanism when I get it sorted out.

demon--that looks easy enough- hard to tell in the pic-what are the dimensions --roughly ?

thanks well the first one is a stop for when i was installing the wrist pins in my new pistons after the connecting rods where heated up

second is a crank shaft polisher i hooked up a low speed drill to the crank shaft polished away

thanks well the first one is a stop for when i was installing the wrist pins in my new pistons after the connecting rods where heated up

second is a crank shaft polisher i hooked up a low speed drill to the crank shaft polished away

I thought that's what they were but didn't want to appear silly if I was wrong. Thanks for the input.

demon--that looks easy enough- hard to tell in the pic-what are the dimensions --roughly ?
Basically it's made with a piece of 5/8" plywood and firring strips. I just built a box around the jack pedestal. Then I glued some rubber on top for a cushion.

My portable bodywork / shop light... Made out of 4' fluorescent light attached to a patio umbrella pole mounted on wheels....
113_0076.jpg

Basically it's made with a piece of 5/8" plywood and firring strips. I just built a box around the jack pedestal. Then I glued some rubber on top for a cushion.

i made one tonight--out of 3/4 plywood, but mine lets the pan sit down inside the whole deal . The trans came out super easy--i am thinking this will be the 1st time i can put it back in by myself.

I,m thinking about making a couple adapt. for the floor jack..
1.For a 833,4 speed tranny(they,re frikkin heavy)
2.For center sections(easy install or swap)also frikkin heavy!

Great ideas guys!!

a motorcycle jack works great too. i couldnt do my 4x4 dually without it. i,d hate to drop that on me.

-
Back