side exit exhaust

-
On my Duster, fabbed up side dump ahead of rear tires with 20" long cherry bomb glasspacks. From header transsition about 24" tube to muffler then 45 degree bend in tail pipe exits just in front of tires. I use band clamps and have them off in 10 min for track. More time to get jack & stands set.

On my '72 Satellite that both pipes now dump in front of the rear tires, well, the pipes cross under the exact subframe area that the factory service manual recommends to place the lift pads. I am thinking about re-routing the pipes to open up that space for hoisting safely.

I thought it an interesting route to possibly take.
Ether that or two short piles off the header and 2 - 90* bends out the side which can be cut from a single “U” pipe.

Any pics of these side dump installs?Ive gotta do the same thing with my inboard springs and deep sumped stock tank.No tailpipes are going through there.Dart Sport

I was looking at Jeg's cat. this morning, WOW! the price of mandrel bent 90 ad 180 degree 2 /1/2 in pipe. I have access to a local exh shop but like most of them, he can not do a mandrel bend. No doubt this needs to not be pinched in those hard turns. Most F body guys will be the as tank over run tail pipes between tank and frame. Seems like pretty close to the gas tank to me!!???
had a shop make 2-1/2" tail pipes for a A-body. one ended up being 2 piece but was gorgeous...cost a case of beer.
another shop would plug the end of the pipe with an expansion plug, fill with sand and the plug the other end before bending. maybe if you tell them about that method, they could give you the "practice" pieces.

On my Duster, fabbed up side dump ahead of rear tires with 20" long cherry bomb glasspacks. From header transsition about 24" tube to muffler then 45 degree bend in tail pipe exits just in front of tires. I use band clamps and have them off in 10 min for track. More time to get jack & stands set.

Mine is very low restriction, dual 3 1/2" dumped as I said before, no need to remove anything at the track-----------------

Here are pics of my 2.5" exhaust from headers out. I laid out everything from using 2" pvc pipe to get angles right, then took those to muffler shop for bends on metal. Not mandrel bends, but cheap. Take off at track so no big losses. Cherry bomb were 23" and 1st pipe from header extension was 14". Made hangers from the weld on rod type into rubber blocks.

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

That is the affordable way, but the AAR style places the muf. from under that "hot" seat!! I bet if someone does not want the heat, build a heat shield like as used above the cat convertors in the Malaise cars when those started!

I think I still have that Driveline or maybe not. I got that from Wildcat Auto Wrecking. I must went through a whole truck bed of them before I found the one in the size that I wanted. It had to have been the rusty spitted thing in the whole bunch. of course what should have been thrown away they overcharged me for LOL well I finally changed my rear end and took it into be cut down they laughed at it and give it back to me. They made me a new one....

Back in the 80s early 90s I restored a few TAs and AARs. The reverse flow mufflers, hangs, tips were repoped even back then. I think Dale's Cuda Shop did the initial repop and stills carries it all.
I have a couple of F bodies, that are Volares that I want to do the side exhaust on, mainly because to do a true dual rear exit exhaust you need to move the gas tank over some, but it put the tail pipes awful close to the tank. That does not seem to cause anyone a problem, BUT......
I asked this on FEBO and got no response. (I admitted to being a drop in off FABO! LOL) Maybe NO ONE on there knows beans about the AAR??? Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone knows a source of inexpensive reverse flow mufflers,?? and for the tips to work they are connected to a curved pipe, making almost a semi circle to the tip. The repop AAR tips are maybe the best solution.
To use a regular muffler, it puts it under your seats! HOT!! no doubt. So the reverse flow puts the muffle back and the tip exits at the front of the rear wheels.
Flowmaster and spintrap have them

-
Back