Signal-Brake lite issue

-

Blair Harris

Reaction score
Hi looking for some advice.
l just changed the carpets and when i was done had no signal lights . Also nototiced when i push down the brake pedal the both front signal lights come on and stay on till i release the brake pedal. Thought i must have put a screw through a wire when i put the sill plates and trim back on. Took that all apart checked everything no problem disconnected the connection to all the rear lights in the laft front kick panel and still the same.
Any help would be appreciated
Blair ](*,)

Did/ does your 4x flasher work? Did you bump the switch to "on?"

There is no connection in the rear harness to the front lamps. The only common point is in the TS switch, or the 4x hazard switch.

Yes the four way flashers work as long as i dont push down on the break pedal then both the front flashers will bot stay on till i release it.
Thanks to both of your suggestions i will look tonight and let you know what i found.

My 69 Swinger seems to have lost power to the rear signal lights, and also the brake lights. Everything worked fine when it was put away for the winter, I have checked connections over and over again, nothing is jumping out at me here? I would really appreciate some advice, and yes the front signals work fine, and also when i push the brake pedal down, the right dash signal indicator lights up, but just stays on , no flashing?:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Your problems are probably all chassis ground related. When a dash turn indicator come on with anything other than flash, the fault is in that front fixture. If the rear lights dont work at all, those fixture may have lost ground. Everything on these cars needs chassis ground. For a simple point of view that could help, the entire car is the ground wire. Only wires going to stuff are the hot wires.

Have you check the brake light switch at the pedal. You may have bumped it when you
changed the carpets. The brake circuit runs through the flasher and the flasher switch.
Are your tail lights working if so it's not a ground they wouldn't work if there was a bad ground at the bulb. That is if you don't have separate bulbs one for brake and one for tail light.
You didn't say what car your working on.

As someone said in another thread " some people have more then one car" so we can only guess. So everybody when asking for help please let us know what vehicle you are asking the question about.

Hi after reading you replies i will give a bit more information. Keeping in mind everything worked finetill i changed the carpets on a console shift car with factory air (so extra work tighter fit)
When you pull the head light switch both front & rear parking lights & the head lights work.The 4 way flashers work from the switch ,neighter of the signal lights work from the arm,when you push the brake pedal down both brake light work but at the sake time both front signal lights come on (high side of the bulbs) and stay on till the brake pedal is released.

If everything i am reading is correct it sounds like a ground problem.
Where would i start running new grounds to first?

A quick, easy test for bad ground, - take a length of wire,, vise-grip one bare end to a good ground,, ie. trunk lock striker, touch other bare end to the various metal bulb sockets, or better, bulb bases, when the bulb acts as it should,, you've found your bad ground.. hope it helps

brake light current should not find a way to the front bulbs unless the fault is in the signal switch. The wiring to that switch runs down the under side of the column to a harness connector. There is where I would start looking next.

RedFish may be correct on the turnsignal switch being the problem, try just slightly moving turnsignal switch up or down a little while watching the lights....I just went thru this and it turned out the switch was not making contact at times (someone may have headbutted it while installing the carpet.

There are harness connectors to the rear lights behind the left kick panel.
I'm sure that kick panel was removed for carpet install. Only 2 screws and one of those is plenty far enough from the wiring.
I'm thinking if the brake lamp current gets into the park lamp brown wires, the front fixtures would come on via park elements.
Lets remove a front 1157 bulb and determine which color wires the brake lamp current is traveling.
Silly question but asking anyway... you have speakers screwes to the kick panels or any extras at all there ?

-
Back