Signal indicators

-

John Borris

Reaction score
Hey guys
I’m installing turn signal indicators on the front fenders and I’m hoping someone can give me the distance from the hood and the front of the front fender.
thanks
john

I cannot help you but you need to tell us what you are working on. Neither 1924 hemi powered Farmalls, nor Supermarine WWII Spitfires have front fenders

About installing non-original fender turn signal indicators, isn't it needed to change the T/S and hazzard flasher units?
8 bulbs instead of 6 can vary the flashing speed because increased resistance, no?

About installing non-original fender turn signal indicators, isn't it needed to change the T/S and hazzard flasher units?
8 bulbs instead of 6 can vary the flashing speed because increased resistance, no?
I would not think so, but you can use LED bulbs in the new turn signal indicators to reduce the load. As long as you have some incandescent bulbs the flashers will work properly with LED's. I did that on my Duster and it works fine.

Maybe it's a good idea but only for the additional fender indicators.
I tried to install LED's on my Demon (front and rear turn signals), and it was a complete mess.

Maybe it's a good idea but only for the additional fender indicators.
I tried to install LED's on my Demon (front and rear turn signals), and it was a complete mess.
Hmmm...

Not sure what kind of LED's you used, but I upgraded my Duster without issue. I ended up using the special LED flasher unit for both turn signal & hazard. I had to put standard bulbs in the brake lights to make the turn signals work properly with the lights on. Weird, but that resolved it. I got my LED's from superbrightleds.com and the flashers from another source I don't recall. Do not use the flashers from superbrightleds, as they did not work for me.

Thanks for your input about leds. Very interesting.
now I need the dimention for the mounting of the directional indicators.
tia
john

no...
no

Thanks for your input about leds. Very interesting.
now I need the dimention for the mounting of the directional indicators.
tia
john
I put them on my 68 fastback ,center of the fender , right in line with my hood pins , which are in factory holes in the cradle , dont remember what the holes were for , its been so long,, look factory good ...put them where you like them , its ur car ...

Hey guys
I’m installing turn signal indicators on the front fenders and I’m hoping someone can give me the distance from the hood and the front of the front fender.
thanks
john
Here ya go.
Center of both holes for the indicator with screws in the top is 1-1/4 from the inside edge of the fender.

From your headlight trim the screw hole is 6-3/16 back.
The larger hole is 6-7/8 back.
Both measurements are to the centers of the holes.

The larger hole is 11/16 diameter.

IMG_4783.jpeg

I put them on my 68 fastback ,center of the fender , right in line with my hood pins , which are in factory holes in the cradle , dont remember what the holes were for , its been so long,, look factory good ...put them where you like them , its ur car ...
My memory aint all that today but... didn't the 68 fish have it's turn indictors on the hood and not the fenders?
I never understood the need for the things anyway. They were just repetition of indictors in the inst' panel.
Fender mounted turn indicators on fenders on VW Beetle served a purpose.

Last edited:
My memory aint all that today but... didn't the 68 fish have it's turn indictors on the hood and not the fenders?
I never unstood the need for the things anyway. They were just repetition of indictors in the inst' panel.

Useless yes, but so kitch and nice :)

Useless yes, but so kitch and nice :)

Oh, and just in case you don’t know already those lights get their ground at the bottom side of the rubber base.
You can see the ground tabs on either side of the screw hole.
I bend those up a little to make sure, and they must contact bare metal.

yeah, come to thik about it some did , but my 6
I never understood the need for the things anyway. They were just repetition of indictors in the inst' panel.
yeah, come to think about it , some did , but my new 68 fastback didnt ...

I dont think their useless , much easier to check and make sure your signals are working on a 58 yr. old car than looking down at the dash ..
It indicates the one you can see is working. Doesn't confirm all around are working. Same as the one in the inst' panel. I'm more a fan of a noisy flasher module but todays stereos and ear buds would cancel that out. My 73 Valiant had signals on the hood but I honestly don't believe I ever looked at them. I'm always looking well ahead of the hood and quickly glancing at rear view and inst' panel/gauges. I know the signal flasher, cancel cam and all do work in the 2010 RAM I just bought but I haven't heard its flasher module sound.
Most are not aware of this bit of mopar trivia... When the earliest 1969 model Darts rolled off assembly line, the bean counters had decided they would save some coins by omitting the signal indicator bulbs in the dash. That's right, no change in inst' panel, 2 green lenses remained with no bulbs behind them. So many buyers complained that allma mopar could do was say DOH! and install the 2 bulbs in the panel and no charge. Within 90 days of production begin, those 2 bulbs were added back to panel assembly.
On a lighter note... I've got a copy of Mad Magazine that was issued same month my 67 fish was built. One segment is about cars of the future. A robotic hand would come out of the dash and slap the driver upside his head for reasons like "turn signal left on" or "Dozing off behind the wheel".
It would poke tobacco products in your mouth and light it also. If I recall correctly, the 3 button options were regular or menthol cigs', and cigar. LOL

Here ya go.
Center of both holes for the indicator with screws in the top is 1-1/4 from the inside edge of the fender.

From your headlight trim the screw hole is 6-3/16 back.
The larger hole is 6-7/8 back.
Both measurements are to the centers of the holes.

The larger hole is 11/16 diameter.

View attachment 1716125305
looks like my location , about the center of the cradle ...

It indicates the one you can see is working. Doesn't confirm all around are working. Same as the one in the inst' panel. I'm more a fan of a noisy flasher module but todays stereos and ear buds would cancel that out. My 73 Valiant had signals on the hood but I honestly don't believe I ever looked at them. I'm always looking well ahead of the hood and quickly glancing at rear view and inst' panel/gauges. I know the signal flasher, cancel cam and all do work in the 2010 RAM I just bought but I haven't heard its flasher module sound.
Most are not aware of this bit of mopar trivia... When the earliest 1969 model Darts rolled off assembly line, the bean counters had decided they would save some coins by omitting the signal indicator bulbs in the dash. That's right, no change in inst' panel, 2 green lenses remained with no bulbs behind them. So many buyers complained that allma mopar could do was say DOH! and install the 2 bulbs in the panel and no charge. Within 90 days of production begin, those 2 bulbs were added back to panel assembly.
On a lighter note... I've got a copy of Mad Magazine that was issued same month my 67 fish was built. One segment is about cars of the future. A robotic hand would come out of the dash and slap the driver upside his head for reasons like "turn signal left on" or "Dozing off behind the wheel".
It would poke tobacco products in your mouth and light it also. If I recall correctly, the 3 button options were regular or menthol cigs', and cigar. LOL
it does tell you that the signal you`ve got on is working , not much effort to see it as your going around a corner , the rest of the above post is worthless...to me .

-
Back