Simple radio install question

-

Demonx2

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 Demon 340 AM radio installation question. The car has the rallye dash. I'm reinstalling my original AM "2-knob" radio. (It was out while I worked on other things in the dash.) I'm questioning what holds it in place in its mounting location. It has the little single metal bent brace that attaches to the right rear of the radio and then to the lower edge of the metal dash. Each knob shaft has the threaded shaft but I don't see any of the typical thin nuts to thread on and clamp it to the metal dash. The plastic instrument panel (IP) will go over this and then slide the plastic knobsonto the shafts. But I don't see anything that would then clamp it to the plastic IP meaning the radio is supported from the rear but not from the front.

What am I missing? The thin nuts to thread on the knob shafts? Something else???

20220126_133804.jpg

Yup, the nuts and washers to hold it tight against the face plate and dash frame.

Thx. I thought so but don't seem to see them in any of the FSM or old parts books. I'll get some and use them on the outside of the IP after I put it in. The IP has brass washers molded into it to apparently carry the load of the nuts holding the radio. Thx again!

Also there may be a braket on the rear.to the dash frame

go to any radio place, I bet they have them for free. IIRC they are all the same size, 1/2-20 thin. Others (GM?) could be 7/16-28 but a 65 had the 1/2-20 per this post Radio Nuts

from your original post - the plastic dash bezel goes on BEFORE the nuts. Put the bezel on the dash, run the radio tuning shafts through it and put the nuts on, then the 2 piece push on ring and center button

Weren't there two sets of thin nuts and washers? One set secured the radio to the dash face and the other set went on over the dash bezel? Or am I imagining that? I was just thinkin it would put some stress on the plastic bezel if it was used to also hold the radio in place. Maybe I'm crazy.

Weren't there two sets of thin nuts and washers? One set secured the radio to the dash face and the other set went on over the dash bezel? Or am I imagining that? I was just thinkin it would put some stress on the plastic bezel if it was used to also hold the radio in place. Maybe I'm crazy.
Nope, If that were the case one would need to remove the entire bezel in order to remove the radio.

go to any radio place, I bet they have them for free. IIRC they are all the same size, 1/2-20 thin. Others (GM?) could be 7/16-28 but a 65 had the 1/2-20 per this post Radio Nuts
Early A did have larger shafts and nuts. I'm almost certain this model radio has 7/16 NF threads. One way to find out. Pull the horn button, get the nut off of steering shaft and try it on the radio.

from your original post - the plastic dash bezel goes on BEFORE the nuts. Put the bezel on the dash, run the radio tuning shafts through it and put the nuts on, then the 2 piece push on ring and center button
Makes sense...that is why the plastic bezel has the metal "washers" (or crush sleeves) molded into it. Easy to see them from the back side.
20220127_101045.jpg

Nope, If that were the case one would need to remove the entire bezel in order to remove the radio.

Early A did have larger shafts and nuts. I'm almost certain this model radio has 7/16 NF threads. One way to find out. Pull the horn button, get the nut off of steering shaft and try it on the radio.
FWIW, I did a simple quick check - stuck a caliper on the shafts. They measure about 0.48 od. Will go to the ACE Hardware nut and bolt candy store to see what they might have!

these are doubled up in the shaft to provide a depth setting for the radio. So get 4 and 4 washers.

You're thinking too logically!!
Seriously, I belive that is why they have the washers molded in per my response above. Appreciate all the input here!!

aftermarkets all have 4 nuts. the inners set the depth of the face and the outers capture the bezel. you should be able to find some. If not I can mail you some.

aftermarkets all have 4 nuts. the inners set the depth of the face and the outers capture the bezel. you should be able to find some. If not I can mail you some.
Thank you for that kind offer..I'll let you know what I find.

A big SHOUT OUT to member Pishta! He sent a fellow in need a pair of the radio nuts and they fit perfectly. Thank you Pishta!!

Now to possibly help other members, Pishta suggested these might be 1/2-28 thread. So I searched and went online and found some "panel nuts" - 1/2-28 UNEF - and ordered some. They arrived a few days later and also fit. So now we know....1/2-28 UNEF is what they are for the radio. For reference, here's what I ordered:

upload_2022-2-9_18-12-0.png

Asking my memory to cooperate on anything is a bit dicey, but IIRC the same nuts used on lamp hardware fits the radio shaft. Any Ace will have the lamp nuts and they are cheap.

I got some of those at a True Value hardware but nope, they would start but then clearly had a wrong thread count. So Pishta bailed me out!
Now, we've been missing your posts and storytelling. But not to worry, my trusty 3/8 socket has somehow also run off with the radio nuts so that's how I got in this pickle!! If I see your missing 10mm wrench, I'll let you know!

I've been playing hell with my truck, which has kept me offline. Stories soon to fire up again as I rebuild the motor after trashing the rod bearings.

And I have a new solution for missing tools - I just go get another one. I gave up trying to find the socket that hit the floor and fell into a black hole. The next yard sale I find, I get another one.

I'll look forward to your musings...and trashed rod bearings?? Oh no!! And if chasing sockets and black holes doesn't work out, I think you could have quite the career in writing!!

-
Back