Single plane manifold on the street

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
I'm mulling over a street/strip combo and the prospects of a running a single-plane manifold. Now, I know a single-plane manifold is a 'race' part, but how many of you guys said screw it and run a single plane on your street car? Any drivability issues? Low end response OK?

I'm thinking of the Holley Strip Dominator in particular which, to my knowledge is a low-rise and relatively small-port design. Even though it's old, I'm kind of drawn to this manifold, everything I've read about it says they're very good.

Thanks,

Greg

I'm mulling over a street/strip combo and the prospects of a running a single-plane manifold. Now, I know a single-plane manifold is a 'race' part, but how many of you guys said screw it and run a single plane on your street car? Any drivability issues? Low end response OK?

I'm thinking of the Holley Strip Dominator in particular which, to my knowledge is a low-rise and relatively small-port design. Even though it's old, I'm kind of drawn to this manifold, everything I've read about it says they're very good.

Thanks,

Greg

I ran a single plane "Street Dominator" back in the day and was pretty impressed with it. This was on a Ford 400M and my manifold options back then were very limited. It was between the holley and a SP2P IIRC. No real problems. I'd give it a try if it were me. You can always add a 1" 4 hole spacer to try to boost low end torque too.

If you have the gears and convertor I wouldnt worry about it,the info you read is true,it will produce good low end for a single plane and from about 2500 up its on par with any other street/strip intake.When compared to the air gap it gave up around 12-15lbs ft on the low end and made about 12-15 h.p. more on the upper end.

Im running a single plane Eddy streetmaster on a 390 with an Eddy 500 cfm carb in a 72 Ford F-100 (daily driver) and Im building a 350 chevy for my buddies 64 Impala that is getting a streetmaster and a Carter 650 as well.

Here is how it was explained to me on another forum when I asked the same question...

"The Streetmaster and Street Dominator (almost the same from Holley) are single planes, but they are very small plenum, small runner single planes. Dont let the "race single plane" description of no low end scare you away"

"The old Edelbrock TorqueMaster was a straight runner and single plane small plenum. It pulled from an idle to 5500 with strong power everywhere. Small plenum keeps air velocity up and cylinders better stuffed."

That was a good explaination you have gotten on the intakes. I have a strip Dom. for my small block. You'll need to jet it right in order for a good street feel. A little fat down low would be good.

(I'm sure you know.....)
I've run single planes on the street before. The lower numerical gear you run, (3.21, 2.76, 2.45 ) the harder it is to dial in and get it to take off from idle/stand still. You'll need a longer duration pump shot.

Beileve it or not, a T-Q carb works well on this intake. Though I'm sure you'll probably run a squarebore carb, this is the area where a slightly smaller carb will work better than one you would normally choose. The idea is to keep the velocity up through the carb.

I've found the Torker II a little harder to run on the street with it's large plenum.

In case you are considering other options, I saw this LD340 on craigslist. I know its not what you are asking for but by most accounts, the LD340 is almost as good, or as good as any street/strip ever made including the RPM Airgap. I would also guess that it's a better choice than the Holley.

If you are not interested, I'm tempted to get it just because they are getting hard to come by at a fair cost. Let me know.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/964813939.html

I have one of those as well. One heck of an intake. I first ran it with the mod for the T-Q made. Nice....real nice.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I think this might be something I'm going to pursue.

I have Torker II on my 440 for no other reason than it's what I had on hand when I put the engine together. I run a 1" 4 hole spacer to improve low end torque.

is the holley stripmaster intake still available new or is it discontinued?

As previouly stated the LD340 is an excellent manifold,i ran one on 2 of my previous 340's...100.00 is a steal if its in good shape...as far as single planes i might be stepping up to one when the new stroker is finally built, i'll be going with a victor 340...

is the holley stripmaster intake still available new or is it discontinued?

Holley stopped making intakes for the Chrysler Small block. They were called Street Dominator and Strip Dominator. MoPar did a basic copy of the Strip Dominator for there single plane M-1 intake. It is slightly updated.

Edelbrock used to make a Streetmaster intake. I have not seen a Stripmaster from ethier.

Holley purchased Weiand some years back.

340, M-1 intake, 650 dp Holley, 505 lift Isky cam, 4-speed with 4.10 gears, drives great on the street, very drivable!:cheers:

Anyone use an Offy Port-O-Sonic? I've read good things about it, very comparable to a Strip Dominator.

There about an even steven kind of thing. You read about it in the MO engines book?

Thanks,

Greg
Without knowing what you've done to the 318, it's hard to say which manifold will work best. If your compression is at or below 10.5 and your cam isn't a all out race cam, the Performer RPM Air Gap is the way to go. You will be hard pressed to beat it.

I've got a strip dominatrix on my 360.

I'm running a 4 speed with the lower 1'st gear(forget ratio) and I have a 3.23 sure grip rear.

She don't wanna move unless I hit 3000 rpm, but when she does move, she sounds good and scares the crap out of everyone around her.

I love it!!!!

Here is a demonstration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBwUV_mcEpM

My idle needed tweaked, but it is more responsive now than in this video, but you can hear me open it up pretty good coming up the road but I was still babying the new motor/clutch, and I have since got on the throttle pretty good and almost crapped my pants....LOL.

It's an 11.0-1 compression motor and I'm running 100 octane.

That is the first time I seen her under power, LOOOOOOOOVE IT!

I just got the 390 tuned in after installing the Eddy streetmaster and the Eddy 500cfm carb. It's amazing how much power is lost with a 2bbl carb! I still need to get the Accell points eliminator kit and rejet the carb but throttle response is great, you have to be careful or you will melt the tire from a dead stop.
This is Nikkis daily driver.

100_3442.jpg

There about an even steven kind of thing. You read about it in the MO engines book?

Yep, exactly. I started researching them a little and found two of 'em on the 'Bay right now. Both have been modded per the MP Small Block engines guide with the air dams and such. One guy went so far as to modify his into an isolated runner type manifold a-la the Air Gap - that particular one is a real Super Stock-type deal with a rad cap right on the t-stat housing. Never seen than before! The P.O.S. (no pun intended) does indeed look very similar to the Holley.

Anyway, since I started this post, I spoke with member Stroked 340 and found out he's running low very 11's with an Air Gap. That's a pretty good sales pitch right there!

She don't wanna move unless I hit 3000 rpm,?

Taller gear might help that maybe? Perhaps needs a little torque multiplication?

Still not sure what I'm going to do but the the Air Gap is looking pretty good right now. Who knew? Wish I had more experience trying these things out! Thanks for all the replies.

Call Bob Mazzolini and ask him. This guy has record setting engines in a whole bunch of Mopars and he is a great guy to deal with. He is located in Riverside California.http://www.bobmazzoliniracing.com/
If you want wicked fast, he is one of THE guys to deal with. If he gives you advice, it's not because he will make more money on a particular part....he knows what works.

Bob's 68 Super Stock Hemi Barracuda ran 9.06 at 148 the first time down the track.
68cuda2.jpg

68cuda1.jpg

68cuda3.jpg

Bob's 2000 Sebring with an 85 318 w/8.9-1 comp., ran 10.23 at 130!
chry_side.jpg

Don Little's 70 Hemi Cuda...10.03 at 131 at over 3600 pounds.
cud.jpg

Jim Durham's...low comp. 340 w/TQ...11.18 at 117.5 mph
jimdurham.jpg

John Irving's 71 340 Demon 10.64 @ 121.80 MPH
johnirving.jpg

Ken Etter's 76 Volare, small cam 360 w/8.6-1 comp., 11.43 at 114
KenEtter76volare.jpg

If there is a perfect intake for your combo, he will know what it is. You should see the wall of badass cars behind his desk in his office. Very impressive and a great guy.

Damn! That sheet metal intake is stunning. I wish I could do that kind of fabrication.

Yep, exactly. I started researching them a little and found two of 'em on the 'Bay right now. Both have been modded per the MP Small Block engines guide with the air dams and such. One guy went so far as to modify his into an isolated runner type manifold a-la the Air Gap - that particular one is a real Super Stock-type deal with a rad cap right on the t-stat housing. Never seen than before! The P.O.S. (no pun intended) does indeed look very similar to the Holley.

Anyway, since I started this post, I spoke with member Stroked 340 and found out he's running low very 11's with an Air Gap. That's a pretty good sales pitch right there!

Taller gear might help that maybe? Perhaps needs a little torque multiplication?

Still not sure what I'm going to do but the the Air Gap is looking pretty good right now. Who knew? Wish I had more experience trying these things out! Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah a set of 3.91 gears would be perfect.

-
Back