Single speed wiper switch decoding

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
Continuing my rewiring project I've come to find that my Ron Francis kit doesn't have provisions for the heater or wiper switch. My car is a '65 Barracuda with a single speed wiper switch. I'd prefer to have variable wipers but it's what I have.

Here's my trouble: the large color poster wiring diagram from classiccarwiring.com (which is fantastic, btw) doesn't show detail for the wiper switch. The service manual on page 8-97 of the wiring diagrams show the single speed switch but it differs from the switch I have in hand. I don't understand the symbols shown in the diagram in the service manual.

But here's a good photo of what I have. Can someone explain to me which terminals connect where? The motor itself has a single two-wire pigtail connector with one green and one brown wire. This also differs from both of my diagrams.

Thanks!

wiper switch.jpg

Okay. This took entirely too long to figure out but here it is. The part number shows that it's a switch for a '65 Imperial or Coronet. That's odd because those cars should have come with a better wiper setup. Indeed the service manual wiring diagrams for those cars only show 2-speed, 3-speed, or variable wipers. Must be nice.

My guess is that the switch I have is a one-size-fits all factory switch that superceded other switches as time passed, or maybe it was generally used for all 1-speed and 2-speed setups. But I'm always willing to be wrong.

So only three wires are connected:

1. The black wire w/trace goes to pin #A, and then off to the two pin motor connector.
2. The dark blue wire goes to pin #P1 (the double post seen above) and then off to the motor connector.
3. Pin #B goes to 12v battery switched positive at the ignition switch. There's no relay involved which is a surprise given the amount of amperage the motor pulls. The wiring diagrams say is supposed to be BLACK wire but mine is RED.

For my application I'll connect Pin #B to a relay with a fuse and find a heavy +12v connection.

Sadly, none of these pins activates a washer fluid pump and the Pin #W terminal that's supposed to do the job isn't connected to anything at all. By that I mean that the switch has a push button for the pump but there's no Pin #W to activate one. Weird.

-
Back