Single Stage or Base/Clear??

-

erobbins

Reaction score
So after 3 months of trying to pick a color to paint my dart sport, I am 99.9% sure it is going to be black. Now the decision of what type of paint, single stage urethane or base coat/ clear coat. I will also be adding the correct vinyl side stripe and the one on the hood with a scoop. Paint guys..... looking for opinions and preference on the look, durability, ease of care, etc.
Thanks

I just got mine home a few weeks ago went base/clear and I am very happy with it, although we painted on the stripes.

Attachments

• z111.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 407
  • z112.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 403
Base/clear by far single won't last as long and if there is a imperfection is a lot easier to fix.also if you want your paint to look deep bc is the way to go.now its is high for the good paints I always use ppg.I have had it on my 69 for 11 years and Friday night a guy looked at it and asked if I just painted it

I know you probably already heard this but the body work needs to be flawless with black. It shows imperfections more than any other color.

I like base/clear coat. I just finished a hemi scoop in base/clear coat and it turned out stunning. Someone else had already mentioned that black shows off all the imperfections in your body work. Gloss black paint isn't forgiving so make sure your body work is perfect. MMG

66 Cuda, that's a nice paint job! I like the color combo. I have a Karmann Ghia I was planning on painting almost the same color.

I just got mine home a few weeks ago went base/clear and I am very happy with it, although we painted on the stripes.

Did they do it with a water borne base coat ? The booth looks like it has the air circulaters in the corners.

After working in the body business for a while, if at all possible... base/clear.

If it's just a race car or street beater however, single stage it.

I actually have a single stage on my 71 Corvette, but mainly just because my dad and I painted it in our garage. I would say base/clear is the way to go though. The single stage looks okay, but it doesn't have as deep of a gloss and like mentioned it's pretty hard to do any buffing without getting into the color in a hurry. The single stage has actually done me pretty well, had it on the car for almost ten years now, but it doesn't see a whole lot of action and it's garaged, so it doesn't have the sun beating on it. Not a bad way to go for a driver, but I think base/clear looks cleaner overall.

Our car is getting shot with http://www.matrixsystem.com/products.php?t1=5 EZ, our body guy, is more than impressed with it. H has used PPG & Dupont for years. A friend of his that used to work for http://www.factorymuscle.net/index.php suggested it. EZ paid $500-600 less than what he does for PPG/Dupont. Car is not painted yet, picture was after clear coat was applied and prior to any buffing. Has a good deal of pop to it I think.....just noticed you mentioned black, good luck.

Attachments

• 100_0245.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 320
Base/clear. It's more forgiving and easier to fix.

Then, stock up on detail supplies bacause that black is going to keep you busy looking great.

(One of the local shops that builds nice cars like to use that Matrix clear).

base clear would be the best for durability and for a show car. it is more expensive than single stage. i just bought acrylic enamel for my valiant because i am on a very tight budget and have had good luck with it holding up on past projects. if i had more money and maybe a more desireable car then i would have definetly sprung for base clear.

Black shows things you never see on a white car. Just saying. Not everyone can afford 5 to 10 k for bodywork

Did mine in a off brand base clear. looked great for the first year but not very hard easy to nick. now with 3 years on it the clear is starting to lift. Car is always garaged driven only once a month and the paint and prep were done at a prof shop. Morel of the story use the best pain you can afford and if you only have the $ for top quality single stage go with that before "bargan" quality base-clear.

Looks like the panel has spoken; base/clear. Thanks for all of your opinions. I know the obstacles with painting it black and I see that as a challenge for perfection in regards to body work. I am FAR from perfect, but I do have time. I am doing it all myself with the help of my father-in-law, which fortunately has experience. I am now blocking the first coat of primer and things are going well. Thanks again to all who chimed in.

-
Back