Single throttle body EFI intake

-

Henchman

Reaction score
I have searched the internet high and low to no avail.

does anybody make a single throttle body, EFI intake manifold for small block applications similar to the Chevy LS manifold pictured?

5BA4D237-39C3-4501-AC73-06924C599139.jpeg

Not that I've seen. Mostly because of the thermostat housing location, water cross over, and closed lifter valley. Not that it can be done, it would be easily cast but demand is limited.

And if you build one, how would you get air into it?
I mean, the rad,the fan, the core-support and the hood are all in the way. And on the other end you got the distributor right there. I guess you could solve those issues but..........

But say you did get it all installed, now how do you drive it on the street. With such a large single throttle valve, you are gonna have to engineer a special slow-opening ratio, so as not to get whiplash over every bump in the road. But you only have so much pedal travel, so ... the ratio better pick up speed sooner or later, so you can get it all the way open when the pedal gets to the floor.
But I imagine you have already thought of those bug-a-boos.

Last edited:
The only EFI manifold I know of for an LA is the Victor EFI.

I almost said so. Or some can easily be drilled/ modded for injectors. But what is this FOR?

SB LA heads? Magnum heads? W series heads? Is this even a Mopar or are we talking about some LS swap?

Why is it important, or is it, that the intake faces forwards?

I was thinking twin turbo 360...
I can look for a tunnel ram lower without the upper carb box, machine it down and weld a plenum on top with a throttle body. Either machine injector bungs through the thick casting or weld them on.
This would be time consuming as to why I was inquiring about a manifold available off the shelf.

I don’t mind running this with no hood, it’s the “wow” factor I wish to achieve.

I have bungs and fuel rail material left over from another project and a “small” Volvo throttle body i didn’t use and an adapter plate I made I could possibly use on this project.
My plan was a 72mm throttle body on 10 pounds boost with dual T04 turbos.

LSswaps are played out and all so tiresome, I’ve always liked “different like a twin turbo 360 EFI 65 valiant convertible.

ED3EF722-41BA-490F-9030-70D84EAF0757.jpeg

Last edited:
Fabricator? Make yourself something like this....
20181110_153600-jpg.jpg

Jeep TB, same progressive type linkage (eliptical bellcrank so it opens slow and then faster, thats not an issue IMHO) or just go Easy and mill some spacers and use a Chevy intake on an LA. It looks simple. I still need to plumb the AN fittings into the water ports for the remote water inlet.

Fabricator? Make yourself something like this....
View attachment 1715630715

Jeep TB, same progressive type linkage (eliptical bellcrank so it opens slow and then faster, thats not an issue IMHO) or just go Easy and mill some spacers and use a Chevy intake on an LA. It looks simple. I still need to plumb the AN fittings into the water ports for the remote water inlet.

looks good, similar to what I was thinking.
My plan is to keep my eyes open for a cheap tunnel ram lower unit without the top carb box portion, cut and machine it to accept my own fabbed up plenum box with TB flange and add injector bungs.

E8D9D17E-D07C-47F3-9ED0-A33814B02FEB.jpeg

it would be simple to run a victor with a 4bbl style throttle body and blow through it but anybody could do that, the idea is something not normally seen... one off.

Last edited:
Use a victor efi with an edlebrock 90 degree throttle body adapter and an ls 90mm throttle body. Almost all aftermarket efi systems are set up for the gm sensors already and it makes it super easy.

CDFFFDE0-5663-4F60-BE7B-0EC65669A0E2.png

Pic is stolen from member @Matts440 to show you what I’m talking about.

looks good, similar to what I was thinking.
My plan is to keep my eyes open for a cheap tunnel ram lower unit without the top carb box portion, cut and machine it to accept my own fabbed up plenum box with TB flange and add injector bungs.

Good luck, been looking for one for a while now that is under $200. No dice. The "power elbow" bolt on 90 is a great option too, you'll lose the 'wow factor' but it works. I think my sheet metal intake project was under $40 in metal store scrap bin minus the Jeep TP and Magnum fuel rails. Both were almost "buy it before I toss it" shipping only buys in the classifieds here. My next one is going to have round runners as its easier to hole saw rounds than cut square windows!

Or you can use a Holley hi ram top and build off of an old school tunnel ram bottom. I’d actually like to see that. I did something similar with my Honda v6.
36365A22-DC6C-43BF-A8D5-EC69C5034319.jpeg

I used the factory lower intake runners and made my own upper plenum that accepted the Holley hi ram top.

I actually have a lower with no upper at the house. I have been looking for an upper. Was looking at fabbing one. Its the weiand that you have pictured above. (Tunnel Ram)

your half way home with that base! All the LA T-rams were $300+ so I went and made one.

"But say you did get it all installed, now how do you drive it on the street. With such a large single throttle valve, you are gonna have to engineer a special slow-opening ratio, so as not to get whiplash over every bump in the road. But you only have so much pedal travel, so ... the ratio better pick up speed sooner or later, so you can get it all the way open when the pedal gets to the floor."

This doesn't hold a lot of water. There are billions of large single plate systems running around. As with the one shown, they used a cam type cable actuator. In fact, you'd probably have a hard time buying a TB that didn't have the cam on it.

I'm leery of that flat top on the red intake shown....a bit of dome or pent roof would most likely work better.

I already did this. EFI BUILD THREAD

However I have not been a dedicated enough hotrodder and too much life has happened so I haven't completed the project. Sigh.

I have searched the internet high and low to no avail.

does anybody make a single throttle body, EFI intake manifold for small block applications similar to the Chevy LS manifold pictured?

View attachment 1715630055
Also, for what it's worth, the main benefit from a tunnel ram type manifold comes from runner length and flow capabilities. With or without boost, the effects of runner length are the same. Some folks are still saying "turbo intake this or that" but that's all been broadly debunked.

This to say, if you are looking for a piece of jewelry for your engine, by all means find a sweet hi ram set-up. It'll certainly look cool (and I totally understand this). However if you are thinking this intake will make loads more power than another with similar runner length and flow capabilities, then the truth of the matter is, it won't. And if you're turbocharging it, the power is largely dictated by the turbo.

With a stock block the intake manifold will not be the limiting factor in a turbo application. You could get to a 1000 hp with just about any performance intake, once you toss boost at it.

Also, for what it's worth, the main benefit from a tunnel ram type manifold comes from runner length and flow capabilities. With or without boost, the effects of runner length are the same. Some folks are still saying "turbo intake this or that" but that's all been broadly debunked.

This to say, if you are looking for a piece of jewelry for your engine, by all means find a sweet hi ram set-up. It'll certainly look cool (and I totally understand this). However if you are thinking this intake will make loads more power than another with similar runner length and flow capabilities, then the truth of the matter is, it won't. And if you're turbocharging it, the power is largely dictated by the turbo.

With a stock block the intake manifold will not be the limiting factor in a turbo application. You could get to a 1000 hp with just about any performance intake, once you toss boost at it.
For me i wanted the location but i will just run the elbow.

Isn’t the small block Chevy intake port spacing fairly close to SBM? As in, if you had a set of intake flanges for a SBM you might be able to adapt something in the first picture to fit it? Or maybe use an eddy air gap knock off for the base plate and intake flanges? Obviously still some fabrication required, might be easier than a completely fabricated sheet metal intake though. And if the modification wasn’t too severe you’d have a better ballpark on intake flow.

Im honestly curious what’s the reason big box companies don’t build one for the small block. It ain’t the thermostat location.

Im honestly curious what’s the reason big box companies don’t build one for the small block. It ain’t the thermostat location.

I’d guess that it’s just a demand and cost of production thing. They’d have to do the R&D and set up the production line and then get their money back out of it.

Edelbrock makes an intake like that for the big block Mopars for their ProFlo EFI. I’m sure they know how many of the super victor small block EFI intakes they sell and what they make off of them currently and are just weighing that against R&D and production costs.

I’d guess that it’s just a demand and cost of production thing. They’d have to do the R&D and set up the production line and then get their money back out of it.

Edelbrock makes an intake like that for the big block Mopars for their ProFlo EFI. I’m sure they know how many of the super victor small block EFI intakes they sell and what they make off of them currently and are just weighing that against R&D and production costs.

Yea I know haha

IMG_4252.jpeg

Use a victor efi with an edlebrock 90 degree throttle body adapter and an ls 90mm throttle body. Almost all aftermarket efi systems are set up for the gm sensors already and it makes it super easy.

View attachment 1715630736
Pic is stolen from member @Matts440 to show you what I’m talking about.
I endorse this picture lol it does clear a factory hood too, I added the scoop just to have some cold air blowing on the inlet to help keep the air charge colder. Here's a different pic without all the wires and piping.

20181220_113437.jpg

-
Back