Six pack on 318

-

mrnurse

Reaction score
Just courious. Is the six pack set up too much for a 318? About to rip into mine and was thinking I liked the idea of a six pack on my 318.

I think it would be ok if your making 400+HP. The thing I don't like is the price tag. What are they now a days 2G's or more? VS 500-600 for a 4bbl set up. But if yo got the money they are cool.

Not sure exactly of price. But why would it need to be 400+?

May be able to get a way with a little less than that.

It has more to do with CID and RPM.

I think it is CIDXRPM divided buy 3654.

Lets say
318X6000 divided buy 3654=522CFM
A lot of times people go bigger than what they need. So lets say even 650-700 would be plenty.

So I would say 1200CFM is a little much unless you are making some power.

But then the nice thing about that set up is you can put around on just one 2bbl untill you need the other two. So? May work out with less. What is your motor set up?

well, I'm not entirely sure yet. I have read several write ups on 400hp 318s with magnum heads. thinking something along those lines but with the RHS heads.

I think if you make the motor rev high it will work out okay. Promax makes some nice stuff to help dial it in too. I think it would be cool because not alot of people put that on a little 318. Its rather expensive but alot of people are hurting for money right now so you might find some deals. good luck.

http://promaxcarbs.bizland.com/id1.html

WARNIG!!!!!

The 1250 cfm rating of the 6pac is at a 2bbl. rating which is different than the rating of a 4bbl.

The 6pac comes in at around 750-780 cfm. This is very good for a warmed up 318.
I new a guy running this everyday in a hot set up. This was one VERY MEAN 318!

Further info on your engine would be a plus.

Others noted why would you run a 6pac on a 318, Cause it looks flippin cool!

plus you can get the plates to jet those out board carbs now too.

but in my opinion if its going to come in near 3k i would go FAST EZ efi. now that is bad ***.. :)

I was reading up on those a while back. They look to be real cool system.

I just think it looks pretty bad ***. the engine will be something like the "budget 400hp builds" that are all over the place but with rhs heads. would headers or the 340 manifolds be better?

tti headers are soooooooooooo worth the price and pain to save for.

ok on the part of a sixpack being very expensive that is very true if you buy all the right parts that is correct for it, but a few years back i spoke to a man who i unfortionaly cant remember the name of and he had a very good ide on this and even gave me the offer to help me set this up, he said to just look around for some holley 2barrels with list numbers that i just cant remember one small center and two bigger as outboards, and run them mechanical with a progresive linkage, he said it would be a killersetup for my old 340 and would easily run with the tunnelram at higher rpm but even charper dailydriven compared to a dualplane and singelcarb. he was very clear on the fact that the carbs would need some work to work right and that it would be useles to use those carbs as they came from holley but with the right stuff done to them they would haul some serious a$$

huh?
clueless.gif

you dont need to buy the correct carbs for a sixpack, you can find other holley two barrels that work just as good for alot less money,they wont be vacumoperated,they will be mecanichal thats basicly the diferens and you will have to put some time into it to make them work right

you dont need to buy the correct carbs for a sixpack, you can find other holley two barrels that work just as good for alot less money,they wont be vacumoperated,they will be mecanichal thats basicly the diferens and you will have to put some time into it to make them work right

time is money man. whats your time worth? the guys that i know that have had six packs really running well says the vac outboards work best..

4 bbls are rated at 2"
2 bbls rated at 4"

To get the same value for a 2 bbl rating to a 4 bbl rating divide the 2 bbl rating by 1.414 IIRC

A 1350 cfm six pac rates at about 955 cfm using the 4 bbl rating pressure

Headers make a big difference. Dougs and tti are the only ones that fit right I like Dougs better than tti based mostly on the fact they are less expensive but still a great part.

Horsepower hasn't a thing to do with it. Nuthin, nada, zilch. None of the original 6 pack small blocks were rated or produced that much. What hogwash. It's all about flow and velocity. You get a good set of heads on that 318 with a good flowing matching intake and a good pair of free flowing headers and that 6 pack 318 will be a total street terror. Since the six pack setup is vacuum operated, it's only gonna feed the engine what it asks for. You'll probably never flow the maximum rating CFM that the six pack can flow. With a good matched induction, exhaust and cam, it will be impossible to have too much carburation because of the design of the vacuum carbs. If you can find a good, uncracked set of the 308 heads, stab some big valves in um and chunk um on it. It'll run like gangbusters.

time is money man. whats your time worth? the guys that i know that have had six packs really running well says the vac outboards work best..

i agree but alot of people seem to have more time than money these days :(
god info, i was just told that the mechanical outboards could be made to run very good

maybe if ya don't go nuts first.. :)

most of us have already gone nuts from all the crazy stuff that has to be invented and reinvented over time ;)
ï have also heard about some cool stuff called bolt on performance parts thats suposed to readily available,and ready to bolt on out of the box just havent found any ;)

So I think I'm gonna start piecing together the six pack stuff. It's ok if it takes a while cause I would rather just do it the way I want the first time around. Sure it's gonna cost some green but it will work out to be less in the long run than doing a single carb now and then the six pack later.

-
Back