skip white HEI timing issues

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
So i bought a skip white HEI distributor and am trying to get it timed its running with a e coil and a msd 6al cdi. On the website it says that depending on what kind of cdi box your running, the motor would run funny above 3000 rpm and says to switch the wires around...but it does not tell you what it has in it for timing. a guy on here told me 18 initial degrees and 35 degrees total maybe he'll chime in. but anyway im having issues getting my timing set and i know theres crap load of threads on here about timing but the whole switching the wires around if the motor runs funny and trying to get it timed correctly isn't helping. it seems like its jumping everywhere. i started by setting 10 deg BTDC with the 0 TDC on the front cover and have the damper marked at the 35 deg since it only goes to 20 deg. Or maybe someone knows what color wires need to be connected to the 2 msd wires. has anyone timed one of these distributors. the motor has a lot of cam and runs e85(360)

which distributor did you buy?....an HEI distributor does not require a msd box.

if the timing is jumping all over the place...spark scatter...

Sorry it's the pro billet one with the external coil, I was looking at HEI distributors when I posted this...but its got 2 wires a red with a black stripe and blue with a black stripe I had a stock vacuum dizzy in nd I had posted something a while back nd was gonna try a white dizzy to get rid of that spark scatter but timing it isn't going good

I have a Skippy in my old Jeep. I gutted it and control it with a MSD Steetfire box.
Does the billet one have a GM style module in it?

Flip the wires and see if the timing is more advanced than you see now.

If it is, the wires need to be in the swapped locations.

Setting timing is a trial and error exercise. If you have a lot of camshaft 18ish may be a good starting point for initial timing.

A photos and model# would help us help. I lost you on asking what initial timing the distributor has. You set that by rotating it and locking down the bolt. The distributor internals add centrifugal and vacuum advance to that.

You say the distributor has no pickup module inside it. How is that possible? Have you popped open the cover and looked?

A photos and model# would help us help. I lost you on asking what initial timing the distributor has. You set that by rotating it and locking down the bolt. The distributor internals add centrifugal and vacuum advance to that.

You say the distributor has no pickup module inside it. How is that possible? Have you popped open the cover and looked?

If it is a small cap distributor, it would have a mag or Hall effect pick up in it and an external module. I'm guessing with no module, the MSD is doing the controlling. Try switching the wires as others have said.

You mentioned erratic spark or spark scatter. Was this a problem with the old distributor, also?

When the timing goes erratic the polarity needs to be reversed, because the computer does not know what to do with the signal that its seeing. Reverse the wires. reset the initial timing and carry on tuning. It will be okay.
You even quoted the cure in the second sentence of the opening post.

So i bought a skip white HEI distributor

So there's your problem right there. You bought a cheap Chinese dizzy and now your having troubles with it. The problem is not with your distributor, it's with your wallet..
Why don't you do the right thing and go buy a decent brand distributor..

Gees man. :D
I'm glad I don't ask questions that annoy you. LOL

So there's your problem right there. You bought a cheap Chinese dizzy and now your having troubles with it. The problem is not with your distributor, it's with your wallet..
Why don't you do the right thing and go buy a decent brand distributor..

and I just bought a new MSD cap and rotor...and they both say MADE in CHINA....so what the hell is the difference?

I believe it is a mag pickup no module inside its running off the msd box...I did have the (spark scatter) before I put this white dizzy in but that was with a stock vacuum advance mag pickup dizzy with no vacuum line going to it since I have barely any vacuum and I figured that was part of my problem not having more performance style dizzy... So if i switch the wires nd it advances then thats how i no its got to be wired cause wen I was playing with it I switch the wires around nd it changes my timing marks so I just have to find out which way is advancing it correct? And ill try setting it to 18 initial nd then the springs and weights should throw it to 35 after 3000 rpm might have to call skip white nd see wat it has in it. its not cause its a Chinese, even 300 dollar dizzys have overseas parts, but I'm not ruling out that msd box...I think I covered everyone's questions nd answers even the guy unhappy with me for supporting foreign economy's haha JK

How's your spark at 3,000 rpm? Is it stable there?

When the polarity is correct, the the timing light will show the advance working correctly, that is following the rpm up to its maximum without any shenanigans.No extra sparks. no sparks showing odd numbers.
Unless of course, you have a multispark computer and a non-compatible timing lite.Then all bets are off.

Ya that's the one aar...but I think I lost you on the wire hook up I don't think I have any of those color wires my dizzy has a red nd blk nd a blue nd blk I'd have to double check on wat my ign box wires are...and ya it runs good below 4500 then its everywhere nd so is the timing mark I know the msd does multi spark below 3000 so I'm sure I'm getting spark scatter I just have to get it timed right nd the polarity right nd see if it still does it

Ya that's the one aar...but I think I lost you on the wire hook up I don't think I have any of those color wires my dizzy has a red nd blk nd a blue nd blk I'd have to double check on wat my ign box wires are...and ya it runs good below 4500 then its everywhere nd so is the timing mark I know the msd does multi spark below 3000 so I'm sure I'm getting spark scatter I just have to get it timed right nd the polarity right nd see if it still does it

guessing u know ur timing chain can do that to.

I will send ya picture tonight, showing how I had it connected to the MSD 6, I had one of those running in my 73 Duster. I was getting 18 initial and 35 degrees total....

ok that sounds good...so you set your idle timing at 18 and then when you rev the motor you were getting about 35 total i had started trying to do it on the 10 timing line and went from there but i was getting all wierd **** ill try playing with it some more tonight. and my msd 6al is actually that with the mopar sticker and mopar part number but same thing should be same set up but mabey different wire colors if i remember right.

yes i am aware of timing chain slack causing timing to jump but i shouldnt have much of a issue there because i installed a timing tensioner kit like they used to put on the 3.9 magnums

and I just bought a new MSD cap and rotor...and they both say MADE in CHINA....so what the hell is the difference?

Man, that's no justification.. Who do you thinks going to have a higher level of quality control?
MSD who is a known performance company, who relies on a good reputation to survive in the marketplace or Procomp who survives by flooding the market with cheap parts from sweatshops??? Not to mention they steal everyone else's designs.
You can convince yourself any way you like, but the truth is still the truth..

.I think I covered everyone's questions nd answers even the guy unhappy with me for supporting foreign economy's haha JK

Wow... , your not supporting a foreign economy, your killing your own. Go and check how much your dept is to China at the moment, see if your laughing then.....

Excuse me but the guy came here to get help....he stated he can not afford the 300 dollar distributor....so are ya here to help him..

are you helping him by saying he bought a piece of junk or what?.......

can you prove that the MSD cap and rotor made in China is any better then the Procomp cap and rotor made in China....they are probably made it the same plant...LOL..

have you ever owned a Procomp distributor..??...If you check the EBAy auctions...apparently they have sold hundreds...and they are still selling...so what does that tell you...I know you standard answer...it all must be JUNK>>.

you are entitled to your opinion ...just like I am entitled to mine...I have used a procomp distributor and ignition box with no problems...I have had several msd 6al died on me and have to be sent in for repairs...so...that is my personal experience....and YOURS?

I guess we need to start a thread and pin it to the top....and everyone who wants to buy parts will need your approval........

and you wonder why people post less and less on here.....

ahh...nothing like the keyboard crew chiefs....

-
Back