Slant 6 727 adapter questions

-

gilberttitan08

Mexican Hillbilly!!!
Reaction score
Hey gang, my brother is looking into buying a slant 6 727 adapter plate for a project, only thing about it is that the crank adapter is missing. Is it worth him spending 300 bucks on something that is incomplete? I’m not sure how easy it would be to find one or to have one made (machined).

I wouldn't spend that much on it. It's not worth that incomplete. Why doesn't he just find a dedicated slant six 727?

I'v got one of those adapter plates, sitting on one of the storage shelving, that's also missing the crankshaft spacer plate.
I never actively went searching for one, but i can tell you just that piece would really be unobtanium to find, and purchase.
Very few people even know what that plate and spacer, is anymore.

And an FYI for you here.
There were 2 different spacers made.
Depends on the "snout" of the torque converter which spacer was bolted up to the crank.
So be aware of that, too.

As already advised, get a 727 torqueflite trans for the slant 6.

And my 2 cents, 300 bucks is way to much for just the plate, missing the spacer.
You can come up a trans for way less than that.

And without a blueprint, or another spacer for reference, having a machine shop manufacture a spacer is surely going to cost some big $$$$$$$.

I gave the seller 45 bucks for my plate, just to have it as "wall art" in the garage.
The picture i pulled off the internet, it's not mine.

If anyone's got a SPACER, sell it to me. :rolleyes:

Adapter 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey gang, my brother is looking into buying a slant 6 727 adapter plate for a project, only thing about it is that the crank adapter is missing. Is it worth him spending 300 bucks on something that is incomplete? I’m not sure how easy it would be to find one or to have one made (machined).

There an NOS NEW slant six 727 on ebay for like 795 bucks. I know that's high, but it's new. Minus converter. Seller has good feedback too. It's been on there a long time.

CHRYSLER DODGE NEW 727 TRANSMISSION FOR SLANT SIX ENGINE | eBay

I'v got one of those adapter plates, sitting on one of the storage shelving, that's also missing the crankshaft spacer plate.
I never actively went searching for one, but i can tell you just that piece would really be unobtanium to find, and purchase.
Very few people even know what that plate and spacer, is anymore.

And an FYI for you here.
There were 2 different spacers made.
Depends on the "snout" of the torque converter which spacer was bolted up to the crank.
So be aware of that, too.

As already advised, get a 727 torqueflite trans for the slant 6.

And my 2 cents, 300 bucks is way to much for just the plate, missing the spacer.
You can come up a trans for way less than that.
Thanks hemi71x, we’ve looked into a slant 6 727 case. Our main concern was if a518 overdrive internals would fit in a 727 housing.

He’s wanting to go overdrive on his slant.

That's need to know info. What I would do would be go for the 4 speed OD......unless he's just DYING for an auto. For about twice the cost of what he was going to spend on an incomplete adapter kit he could probably get one made for a 4L60E GM transmission. That's what I would do.

That's need to know info. What I would do would be go for the 4 speed OD......unless he's just DYING for an auto. For about twice the cost of what he was going to spend on an incomplete adapter kit he could probably get one made for a 4L60E GM transmission. That's what I would do.
4spd overdrive, that’s genius. Weight of truck wouldn’t be an issue on 4spd OD? It’s not like slant 6 is putting out loads of torque. May of answered my own question there.

4spd overdrive, that’s genius. Weight of truck wouldn’t be an issue on 4spd OD? It’s not like slant 6 is putting out loads of torque. May of answered my own question there.

The 4 speed OD probably came in more trucks than anything else.

-
Back