Slant 6 904 TorqueFlight question

-

Hooligan111

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 64 Dart with a rebuilt slant six where most parts were bought from Clifford Performance. We're having a problem with the 904 transmission with the new engine set up. I'm being told that the kickdown cable and linkage from the carb and the transmission won't work with my set up allowing me to keep the push button transmission. I'm not a car guy so I don't understand why it won't work. I guess my kickdown cable is internal and the linkage is mechanical and won't work together. Can you offer any advice about how to keep my push button capabilities with my upgraded engine?

Thanks,

Ralph

Im curious about this as well, i have this same problem on my 63 .60 over rebuilt engine. I have tried to adjust it but to dice, ive never read about it being an issue but that would make sense considering that i cant get it to work.

Jake

You will see in the service manual that the kickdown linkage is seperate from the shift cable.Both of your 63/64 cars have a rod from the carb linkage to the kickdown lever at the transmission.For you that will be using the Clifford intake a aftermarket cable setup like from Lokar is the easiest way to go.Bouchillon is another vendor with a excellent cable kickdown setup.

As mentioned, the push-button shift/park cables go direct to the tranny, so that shouldn't change from anything you do to the engine & intake.

I think the problem is that there never was a factory 4 bbl carburetor on a slant, assuming that is what you have now. Thus, you need a custom cable kick-down. Push back on whoever is telling you half-truths.

X2. Throttle kickdown is in no way connected to the shift cable. Time to fabricate a replacement mechanical setup.

Hooligan, I'm not real familiar with the push button trans, but the cable transmission works with the body, not with the engine. Think of it as a floor shift or column shift. You can remove and replace the engine without changing anything with the cable shift.

The kickdown linkage is totally separate. It increases pressure inside the transmission as you increase the throttle. It must be used or you'll burn up the trans. As the gas pedal is depressed, the kickdown lever "assembly" pushes the lever on the transmission. Search through the threads here and you'll find more info. Like Dartar6 said, Lokar should have something, or like Oldmopardude said, fabricate something.

The Hyper Packs had one, if I remember right...

That is correct, but the "Hyperpak, was not factory installed. It was either dealer installed, or over the parts counter. Also the "Hyperpak kit" was for a standard trans, and included a a heaver duty clutch.

That is correct, but the "Hyperpak, was not factory installed. It was either dealer installed, or over the parts counter. Also the "Hyperpak kit" was for a standard trans, and included a a heaver duty clutch.

Thanks, Charrlie. I didn't know that. My apologies to Bill Grissom, who was 100% correct.

I Learn something every time you (Charrlie)come onto this forum!!! :glasses7:

I decline Bill D's apology, since I was 100% wrong. I forgot about the HyperPak. But, sounds like there never was a factory 4 bbl kickdown lever for an automatic tranny. Anyway, just trying to explain to the OP why it isn't trivial to realize the 4 bbl setup, so his mechanic needs to do more research and not lead him down a dead-end.

An important point for the OP is that the kick-down lever didn't change between early cable-shift (often push-button) and later lever-shift transmissions, so going to a newer transmission (and loosing his push-buttons) would not help.

You'll need to make a custom bracket but you can use a Mr. gasket bracket (Oreilly's) and make it work. Chrysler has a kick down cable that is designed for use with your transmission. I used the kit one my /6 project and it works perfectly with the Mr Gasket bracket I modified.

Couple of pics for your use may help you design something simple that works.

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepaccessories.com/servlet/the-2077/KICK-DOWN-CABLE-TORQUEFLITE/Detail

This is the factory cable and can be found at various prices all over the net. This price is twice what I paid. Lokar and Bouchlerion? also make versions of this.

Attachments

• 100_5263.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 216
  • 100_5265.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_5266.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 201
I decline Bill D's apology, since I was 100% wrong. I forgot about the HyperPak. But, sounds like there never was a factory 4 bbl kickdown lever for an automatic tranny. .

Bill, I don't think you WERE wrong; evidence suggests that no slant six ever came down the assembly line (according to Charrlie, and I fully agree with him,) with a Hyper Pack/4bbl carb. AND, it was a dealer-installed option (or, you could buy the "kit" over-the counter) FOR MANUAL TRANSMISSION CARS only. As Charlie said, the weak-kneed, stock clutch was replaced with a more robust version as a part of the "kit."

That pretty much convinces me, at least, that it was intended by Ma Mopar, as a manual-transmission system, only.

What confused me, is the fact that the NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide lists both the 170 and 225cid versions, with power-to-weight ratios for classification (148 and 196, respectively.) Back in the Dark Ages, I was an NHRA "Area Tech Advisor" (an unpaid position,) and had a copy of the Classification guide for years, worked at three different drag strips, and I remember the NHRA never allowing cars that had dealer-installed equipment/options (even though they may have had a factory horsepower rating for that combination,) to run a Stock class; NEVER... they were knee-jerk about that.... so, I assumed that, since it was listed in the "Guide," it must have come from the factory that way.

But, I gueess it was just an exception to their (otherwise) hard-and-fast rule against letting cars like that, run. I just never knew it....

I think Charrlie is right... and, so are you.

So, the apology stands... :eek:ops:

I agree the factory intended the hyerpak for stick use, only. It was available in the early '60's and converters were not very advanced, at that time. The hyperpak cam had a duration of 276 degrees. Even the Direct Connection Engine book says the cam is not recommended for use with an auto trans.

-
Back