Slant 6 air cleaner lid

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
OK, kinda of an off-the-wall question here.

I'm looking at an Early-A Slant 6 unsilenced air cleaner (no tubes) and thinking it looks exactly like the chrome 273 ones, 'cept it's not chrome.

Was wondering if I got the lid, what kind of base and air filter is available to use it and fit it with a Holley carb, let's say a 4160 or 1850 - one of the small ones that are around 600 cfm. Might be cool to paint one wrinkle black and set it on top of the 318 in my Dart.

Anyone do this?

I know this is the Slant forum - it's sort of Slant-related...

It's kinda a one off base. Hard to come by at that to. You might be able to take cheapie 4bbl base and cut it down.

It's kinda a one off base. Hard to come by at that to. You might be able to take cheapie 4bbl base and cut it down.

Was more concerned with the lid for the outward appearance. I likely wouldn't be able to use the base anyway since I imagine the 4bbl carb throat opening is larger than than the 2bbl.

I guess a better question might be is there a base that would fit on a 4160 type carb that will fit under that lid?

And maybe more specifically, what diameter and height is the lid?

Yeah, I know its a slant but this is the wrinkle effect on one of those lids.
Chas.

new car pics 029.JPG

I'm looking at an Early-A Slant 6 unsilenced air cleaner (no tubes) and thinking it looks exactly like the chrome 273 ones, 'cept it's not chrome.

Was wondering if I got the lid, what kind of base and air filter is available to use it and fit it with a Holley carb, let's say a 4160 or 1850 - one of the small ones that are around 600 cfm. Might be cool to paint one wrinkle black and set it on top of the 318 in my Dart.

I had been wondering the same thing for a long time, but never measured the diameter of both. Yeah, getting the cheapie 4 barrel base and cutting it down is a good idea, because the real commando base (for the correct AFB) is too small of a diameter for all the Holleys and later AFB's.......you really don't want the original correct base.

Yeah, very cool idea and very easy to find those slant 6 unsilenced tops. I know I've got 1 or 2 laying around.

I've got one of the air cleaner tops you are referring to. I don't know if it came off a slant or off of a mid sixties big block. Some of the slant cleaners look smaller than the 273 units (like in the photo above). Mine is exactly the same size as a Commando/Charger air cleaner that I had. I just bought a cheapie aftermarket chrome unit (10" I think) for the base that fits on my newer AVS and fits inside the top.

I've also been considering putting a wrinkle finish on it and a set of cal custom finned valve covers. I wish there was a pie tin that would fit on the top of it.

Actually, the slant six lids and 273 Commando lids are slightly different, the lip on the bottom is where the difference is. The very bottom lip edge on the Chrome 273 Commando lid is smooth and tapers out a hair, giving it a clean look. The slant six and 273 2bbl lids have a lip at the very bottom that is folded up with no taper. This is the only differrence I found, not even sure why this was (maybe because of the chrome plating?). Most people wouldn't even notice this....but I did! 8) I have both lids and I will take some comparison photos later!

Here are the pics I promised. The chrome Commando lid is also a hair taller than the painted black slant six one, maybe has something to do with the bottom lip being different. You can see this in the one pic, hard to notice and most people wouldn't, just thought I would note this.

Picture 1630.jpg

Picture 1631.jpg

Picture 1632.jpg

Picture 1636.jpg

Picture 1634.jpg

Picture 1633.jpg

What year specifically is that Slant 6 air cleaner from? Looks like a '65 if I'm not mistaken.

That would be the lid I was referring to in my initial post.

I have some of those early lids.. also have 1 spare top- want to make a deal? check the pictures out -- the unit by itself is similar-- but i do not know where I acquired it from, the others are from early 60's slant 6 cars. thanks Lawrence

I have some of those early lids.. also have 1 spare top- want to make a deal? check the pictures out -- the unit by itself is similar-- but i do not know where I acquired it from, the others are from early 60's slant 6 cars. thanks Lawrence

I'd be interested in the one in the first pic. I have some stuff for sale in the classifieds, perhaps we could work something out. I may have some more stuff around here too, PM to let me know what you have in mind.

Cool, that one in the first pic will work for ya, I am glad I posted those pics, sounds like you will soon have your lid! 8)

-
Back