Slant 6 Aluminum Performance Head

-
OK, here it is. One of one aluminum slant six head. It is real and runs.
Photobucket | HowardDavis.jpg
Scroll to bottom of page for more pics
Billet Aluminum Slant 6 Head! Seriously!! - Page 9 - Slant Six Forum
video
(13) Slant 6 Dart - YouTube
Dare I say it......are those Ron's Flying Toilets? Sure looks like um. Are there any details on the head anywhere? Like the weight difference alone would be worth it, but I'm curious about port placement, valve sizes, flow and so on. And on. And on. LOL

I don't know a lot about that head, except it is a one of one solid billet. Water jacket not needed, as the motor runs alky. It is not just a copy of a Mopar slant head in aluminum. I heard (second or third hand) that Howard was asked about producing these, and said "No way", you couldn't afford it. It is not just the head, but other things that go with it (the combination). It would cost 6 figures.
PS: Pretty sure those are flying toilets

That OHC engine resurfaced a few years ago. There is a thread on slantsix.org about it. I believe it was sold on ebay.

That OHC engine resurfaced a few years ago. There is a thread on slantsix.org about it. I believe it was sold on ebay.
Pretty cool historical artifact, great to see it's still kickin' around, wonder if the plan is to preserve or actually put into service on some level?

It was. I remember seeing the ad.

Most of the OHC Slant is in the American Museum of Speed in Lincoln NE.
This museum is right next to Speedway Auto parts.
I say most because it HAD a Hyper Pak and now it's just a 1 barrel intake.
But it's cool to see it has a good home.
They also have some Weslake Small Blocks and a KB Small Block.

Since I mentioned them, here are the images of the late '70's prototype stuff, probably developed just after or concurrently with Rob's closed chamber iron unit.
20220801_123315.jpg

Back around 1979, Larry Sheppard referred me to someone at Chrysler (can't remember his name) about the turbo program. At the time I was contemplating installing a turbo on my 65 Valiant 170 slant six. Back then, there wasn't much info available about turbo conversions, and I was looking for some basic info. My contact at Chrysler, told me, they had cancelled the program, as they couldn't make the engine live. They would not give me any info at all. Not god, bad, or indifferent. I was told that Chrys was looking at the turbo system for trucks.
I wound up doing it anyway. The biggest problem I had was with the "tune up". Having no/low boost drivability, without detonation at boost. Back them there was no such time as AFR gauges, or "boost timing masters". By 1981 I was driving the car to the track, and running 13.4's at 104 mph. about 11-12 lbs boost. The only engine failures I had were caused by detonation (head gasket, rings, pistons). I used a Rajay F70 turbo

Back around 1979, Larry Sheppard referred me to someone at Chrysler (can't remember his name) about the turbo program. At the time I was contemplating installing a turbo on my 65 Valiant 170 slant six. Back then, there wasn't much info available about turbo conversions, and I was looking for some basic info. My contact at Chrysler, told me, they had cancelled the program, as they couldn't make the engine live. They would not give me any info at all. Not god, bad, or indifferent. I was told that Chrys was looking at the turbo system for trucks.
I wound up doing it anyway. The biggest problem I had was with the "tune up". Having no/low boost drivability, without detonation at boost. Back them there was no such time as AFR gauges, or "boost timing masters". By 1981 I was driving the car to the track, and running 13.4's at 104 mph. about 11-12 lbs boost. The only engine failures I had were caused by detonation (head gasket, rings, pistons). I used a Rajay F70 turbo
It amazes Me that Chrysler bothered to do the heads like Rusty's & the one above with no apparent clue as to how to take advantage of them.
The bathtub head probably destroyed chamber swirl almost completely, & without a piston near-deck to generate squish, They killed what detonation resistance there was then boosted it!!!! As a draw-thru' carb setup, a la early Buick Riviera & T-type, it seems it was doomed at inception.

As a draw-thru' carb setup, a la early Buick Riviera & T-type, it seems it was doomed at inception.
In the early days (late 70's to mid 80's) Most OEM turbos were draw through. It wasn't untill the advent of FI and computer control, that draw thru went away.

In the early days (late 70's to mid 80's) Most OEM turbos were draw through. It wasn't untill the advent of FI and computer control, that draw thru went away.
Yes pretty much all of them, 301 Ponchos, just had one in the shop about 3yrs. back. Indy Pace Car edition TA, still ran. The old 2.3 turbo Mustangs, same era, Colts.......We had an '83 T-Riviera, ended up changing the turbo, ran fine. Smokey Yunick's "Hot Air Engine" used a draw-thru "Homogenizer", but required synthetic oil to live.

Yes pretty much all of them, 301 Ponchos, just had one in the shop about 3yrs. back. Indy Pace Car edition TA, still ran. The old 2.3 turbo Mustangs, same era, Colts.......We had an '83 T-Riviera, ended up changing the turbo, ran fine. Smokey Yunick's "Hot Air Engine" used a draw-thru "Homogenizer", but required synthetic oil to live.
I have a Corvair turbo on the shelf, and also a "complete" 301 poncho setup including the correct carb. Also have a NOS Rajay 301E80 turbo

It amazes Me that Chrysler bothered to do the heads like Rusty's & the one above with no apparent clue as to how to take advantage of them.
The bathtub head probably destroyed chamber swirl almost completely, & without a piston near-deck to generate squish, They killed what detonation resistance there was then boosted it!!!! As a draw-thru' carb setup, a la early Buick Riviera & T-type, it seems it was doomed at inception.
Plus, those bathtub chambers just shrouded the hell out of the valves. Talk about reduced flow.

I have a Corvair turbo on the shelf, and also a "complete" 301 poncho setup including the correct carb. Also have a NOS Rajay 301E80 turbo
The Pontiac 301 setup I always thought would be good for a slant 6.

Wow Man, sounds like you had alot going on back then! No Support, Learning Curve, ect! You seem like an innovative Mopar Man!

Wow Man, sounds like you had alot going on back then! No Support, Learning Curve, ect! You seem like an innovative Mopar Man!
You should see his scrap books. It's amazing the amount of experience Charlie has.

You should see his scrap books. It's amazing the amount of experience Charlie has.
I'd love to! It sounded like he Made the Experience, just from reading what Lil I did. Obviously, he is not tooting his own horn, and I don't really know his background, but he seemed like an OG at that! Just wild Man!

-
Back