Slant 6 block casting numbers

-

Helomech1969

Reaction score
I've searched a lot of sites and am stumped. The engine is definitely not from my 74 valiant and appears to be newer than 75. The 2 casting #'s I see on the block are 3338 and 530-6. The also appears to be a letter "F" as well. I am lost on this one, I appreciate any information.

I think the 3338 is the date (on the 10,000 day calendar) - that would correspond to:
Day 3338 is Thursday, September 17, 1970

For the casting number, I think you're looking for a longer number - 7 digits

http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/engines.htm

(Also has a table with what the casting numbers correspond to after the text I've pasted below)

To find the engine number for slant six engines, check the passenger side of the block just below the head. For V8 engines, check the drivers side front of the block below the head.

The engine number contains the build year and engine displacement. It may contain an assembly date. The assembly date may be as simple as 3-15 (March 15th), or based on the 10,000 day calendar (2787 = March 15 1969).

The simple date is decoded like the so number on fender tags.

The letter before the number is the model year A=1965,B=1966,C=1967,D=1968,E=1969,F=1970,G=1971,H=1972,J=1973,4=1974.
Example… B-273-A24 reads as...1966-273cid- October 24th

Unlike the V8's, the /6 casting numbers do not have the displacement number in the middle. It ought to be a 7 digit number, followed by a '-x' where x is a 1 or 2 digit number, corresponding to the casting station/machine.

Older /6 block numbers were on the driver's side of the block; look there around the core plugs (freeze plugs). I dunno about later. The expert at /6 casting numbers is slantsixdan. You can aslo get good info over a www.slantsix.org .

There is a table of casting #'s at slantsix.org. I have it at home. You can find here if you search (from ggogle works best for me). Early blocks had 3 staggered "core plugs". By the 1970's there were 5 in a row. The last engines (late 70's) had "peanut heads", without the removable aluminum spark plug tubes, but may have been swapped onto an earlier block.

That appears to be all the numbers.

F 530-6 3338
KHK

It does have the 5 freeze plugs on the left though.
The following is on the R/H, front side, stamped next to the deck next to the cylinder head: 9225R 2 15 CE
Further checking shows a cast crank and cylinder head 81-87 at http://www.mopar1.us/casting.html.
Perhaps the block is of the same years....???... It does appear to have solid lifters though, weird.

blocks and heads are mix and match if you use the correct valvetrain for the head. drool tube heads are all interchangeable with exception of early 60 head that doesnt have the alternator bracket bolt boss up near the water neck. later 6 had a cast crank and matched damper.

the numbers that will tell this are on the little "tab" by #1 cylinder, very front of block behind alternator. there are charts that decipher these numbers and tell what they mean. These are stamped into the block, about 1/4" tall numbers.
On the driver side of the block is a 7 digit number raised from the block surface numbers about an inch tall... this is the actual casting number. nothing about when block was cast to be had there, but each casting number will give you a range of up to 4-5 years or so, depending on "which" number you find there.

-
Back