Slant-6 Electronic ignition.... information needed

-

Doug Palmer

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Dart with a 225ci with points, and was wondering if the car would run better, be more reliable, have a little more power, with an electronic ignition. Doug

The Mopar kits are getting hard to find and quite pricey. You could get everything except the wiring harness from the corner parts store, and get the harness from a donor car. If you can live with GM parts on your Mopar, Steve's suggestion would be a good way to go. If I had to do it all over again, I would get a Pertronix Ignitor kit that replaces the points in your distributor. Check out eBay item number 20521846571.

The Mopar kits are getting hard to find and quite pricey

Which is just as well, because the orange box ECU they come with is Chinese garbage and the distributor they come with has an advance "curve" (more like a straight line) totally unsuitable for street use.

I would get a Pertronix Ignitor kit

Not me. Use GM HEI parts (they work better) or use Chrysler parts (they work OK as long as you buy a good ECU) and you wind up with a system that can be easily, quickly repaired in the event of a failure, with parts available in every nook and cranny of North America. Use Pertronix and you're outta luck when it fails until the company can ship you some repair parts.

OTOH, with Pertronix, you could just carry a set of points in the glove box and put them in if something breaks. I used to have a Pertronix and had no real complaints about it, only removing it because I wanted a computer controlled ignition. I'd give the Pertronix top marks for ease of installation. But, like Dan said, it can't beat OEM parts for easy to find spares.

Not me. Use GM HEI parts (they work better) or use Chrysler parts (they work OK as long as you buy a good ECU) and you wind up with a system that can be easily, quickly repaired in the event of a failure, with parts available in every nook and cranny of North America. Use Pertronix and you're outta luck when it fails until the company can ship you some repair parts.[/QUOTE]

Do you have some part numbers or a link to how you modify the points style distributor and ecu?

We are getting ready to pull our /6 and modernize it a bit.

Thanks,

Mop

Spend some time using the search engine. Dan is the man
I converted to hei on my 65coronet. Very happy I did.

Not me. Use GM HEI parts (they work better) or use Chrysler parts (they work OK as long as you buy a good ECU) and you wind up with a system that can be easily, quickly repaired in the event of a failure, with parts available in every nook and cranny of North America. Use Pertronix and you're outta luck when it fails until the company can ship you some repair parts.

Do you have some part numbers or a link to how you modify the points style distributor and ecu?

We are getting ready to pull our /6 and modernize it a bit.

Thanks,

Mop[/QUOTE]

Damraider's link at the top of this thread has all the information you'll need

HEI and GM alt are 1000% better than any mopar crap ever made!

I have upgraded it to an Accel HEI unit.

100_5973.jpg

100_5972.jpg

100_5975.jpg

100_5971.jpg

Even the stock mopar parts aren't on the shelf at a lot of stores but everyone has a 4 pin HEI unit and GM alt on the shelf.

How did you guys running the HEI module determine which way (polarity) to hook up the pickup coil? I 'spose you could carefully scribe the dist. body at the center of the no 1 tower, then by trial and error, aim a timing light while cranking over, at the scribe mark, and pick the hookup that "sparks" closest to the scribe?

I'm running an HEI on my Toy 20R powered dozer, and cannot for the life of me remember how I got the pickup coil correct.

If you do use an HEI, make sure you mount it on a heat sink of some sort, clean and flat. Thermal grease doesn't hurt, either.

67Dart273 there is an article and a LOT of discussion over at slantsix.org you might try it over there. I dont remember having any problems on ANY of mine.
Frank

-
Back