Slant 6 Headers

-

sporty_666

Reaction score
hi, i need some help !

I come from germany an own an 71 Valiant with a 170 Slant Six.
I bought the header you see on the picture for it. The problem is that
there is nearly no clearence to the ground when it is mounted.
I thing its not for my car. can anyone tell me for what kind of car it is ?

greetings Stefan, Hamburg
(excuse my english)

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4338/headersmediumia3.jpg

I dont think they are for a truck, they look like they have clearance for a high mount starter. I think 170 ci engines need specific headers.

I also believe those are truck headers due to the length of the tubes.
I am not sure about 170's needing "special" headers. I think Clifford shortie headers are made to fit all three slant sixes (170-198-225). Though clifford has become unreliable lately when it comes to getting parts in a timely manner.
The person you need to talk to is Charlie S. Send him a PM he runs 170's in at least 2 but I think it is actually 3 cars.

P.S. you english is just fine:smile:

I also believe those are truck headers due to the length of the tubes.
I am not sure about 170's needing "special" headers. I think Clifford shortie headers are made to fit all three slant sixes (170-198-225). Though clifford has become unreliable lately when it comes to getting parts in a timely manner.
The person you need to talk to is Charlie S. Send him a PM he runs 170's in at least 2 but I think it is actually 3 cars.

P.S. you english is just fine:smile:

i can second that you need to talk to Charlie_S, he is one good guy, hell talk to him on the phone, i did, learned alot, he is really good in the slant info especially with the 170's

OK, my 2 cents worth. First The last year for the 170 in american cars was 1969, none from the factory in 1971. though it could have been installed as a replacement engine. The headers in the picture look like they might be the Mopar performance header, or maybe Hooker. These where never made for the 170 engine. I work with the 64-66 "A" bodies, so I don't know, for sure, the fitment problems in the later cars. At the present time there is no header available for the 170 engine. In the early cars the headers for the 225 engines, hit different things, depending on the style of the header. Spitfire is supposed to be coming out with a header to fit the 170 engine. It will be a "street rod" type, similar to the Clifford "shorty". They will also have a shorty for the 225.

Thank you, guys.

This winter i want to start a restoration. After welding all parts i want
to install a 225. If the header will not fit a have to buy another one.

Greetings Stefan

The headers in the picture look like they might be the Mopar performance header, or maybe Hooker. QUOTE]

The header appears to be an MP or a J&R. J&R made the MP header at one time too. 225 & 198 only.

-
Back