slant 6 help. not starting

-

1971dodgedart/6

Reaction score
71 dart with a slanty. i start the car every other week or so to keep things up and running, i went to start it last week, it ran but the idle was really rough and would stall, it had i really bad flat spot slightly above idle where i could open the throttle all the way open and the engine will not rev any higher. i shut it down, tried to start it again and found fuel all over my intake, i pulled the pcv valve hose off and my vaccume advance and there was fuel in there. did my carb go? what happened?

float in the bowl stuck, or needle stuck atleast

Had an issue that sounds just like yours in my '72 Slant Duster. Read that the carb was most likely to be guilty on this one (the plunger specifically). Changed the carb to a rebuilt one and problem solved. Besides, it was the factory carb with not a major rebuilt throughot its life. On 1bbl carbs Carters are better than Holley, less complicated.

I,d also add some fresh gas or stabilizer after you find your problem.Gas can go bad pretty quick sittin around.My 2 cents!

thats what i was thinking..the carb. i always put 93 in it to keep it flammable, but your right maybe i should drop the tank (needs a sending unit anyway) clean everything up and see what happens. okay well theres an aluminum 4 hole intake sitting in front of me and a swap meet this weekend chock full of carbs, slanty is getting a 4bbl. thanks guys

-
Back