Slant 6 Help

-
Reaction score
Hey there, I've got myself a 1973 Plymouth duster with the slant-6. I was wondering what i could do to make it run faster and better for the time being, till i get enough money to do an engine swap. thanks

Attachments

• sepia.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 575
As a long time slant owner I hate to see these kind of posts. I personally don't care for the working room of v8 a-bodies. I will never swap a slant for a smallblock, but maybe a 3rd gen hemi...

You should probably state your intended goal and available funds. If you are swapping in a v8 any money spent on the slant is a waste.

Most likely, you have a 7 1/4 rear axle behind that /6. If you're dead set on swapping in a V8 then you're going to want change out the rear axle for something stronger like an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. So with that in mind, swap out your rear axle now and while you're at it, get a lower ratio. (3.55 for example)
That's about the best you can do for now and still plan for the swap. Don't spend any money on the motor if you're sure you're not going to keep it.

Ditto to Furiousvip's suggestion, and I'd go with even lower gears. If you absolutely must modify the engine, install a two barrel Super Six setup. Then if you do change to a V8, you can easily sell the SS carb and manifold, and might even make a profit. That said, I would keep the slant. If you must have V8 power, swap cars, not the engine.

get a late 60s b body rear 8 3/4 thats what I did when I did the rear swap. just be sure its from 65 to 70 b body theres alot of them out there. Moroso part # 85090 for the leaf spring perch. then just take the rear to the a local shop and have them welded in the right spot and angle. Be sure to have them straighten the housing while its there. your choice to have it shortened to a body specs but friends and i didnt and just got the right back spacing with the rims we bought.

A turbo would make it run real fast, faster than most V-8's. That is a roll-your-own solution and could be cheap, with a lot of labor and some junkyard parts. When you see what a V-8 swap involves and costs, you might learn to love your 6.

A turbo would make it run real fast, faster than most V-8's. That is a roll-your-own solution and could be cheap, with a lot of labor and some junkyard parts. When you see what a V-8 swap involves and costs, you might learn to love your 6.

What he said...:glasses7:

If the slant 6 is in good shape, do a good tune up on it and drive it.
You'll probably fall in love with it as is and forget about the v8 swap.
If you are really stuck with the v8 swap idea, don't put a dime into the 6 and prepare to open your wallet up unless you have a line on a complete donor car for cheap.
It's a lot of work to do the swap too, and the entire drvetrain needs to be changed as well as the brakes and cooling system to do it properly.
I did the swap on my Dart Sport project, but the slant 6 in it was worn out and i had all of the parts to do the swap already.
All of the slant 6 parts that come out of your car will be hard to sell, and won't give you much money towards your project, that is if you can find a buyer at all.......
Good luck.
Tom.

Right now my duster runs like a turtle in molasses, i wanna know what to do to make it not run so sluggish. I understand not to put alot money into a engine i don't want.

Well...all the things you need to do are in the posts above. Get a good tune up and change the rear end gear ratio...That's about as cheap as it's gonna get. You could do the turbo...but that involves a lot of fabrication and down time which is not always convenient...especially if the car is your daily driver.

what is your age and skill level? Have you been around the block a time or two? have access to other local mopar guys? fabo is great, but there is no replacement for having someone familiar with these cars on hand to lend a hand when needed.

Right now my duster runs like a turtle in molasses, i wanna know what to do to make it not run so sluggish. I understand not to put alot money into a engine i don't want.

Other than making sure everything is in a good state of tune, there you go. You pretty much described a stock slant in good tune, though. I would simply live with what you have and spend the money on the V8 if that's what you're bound to do.

I did dump alot of money into my 6. Port polish head, super six, headers, rebuilt tranny. I got to drive it for all of 5 minutes before front drum came apart (my fault from replacing bushings). Love the 6 cause its different and all I want to do is learn and cruise.
Take your time, listen to the advice given but make a plan and follow it.

Hey there, I've got myself a 1973 Plymouth duster with the slant-6. I was wondering what i could do to make it run faster and better for the time being, till i get enough money to do an engine swap. thanks

Don't forget to plan on switching brakes and torsion bars and springs if you do change to an 8. My duster was a slant six car with a 318 installed in it when I bought it. The power was certainly better, but the handling, braking and overall feel of the car was Terrible. Now if you change everything everything over then you would not have any issues, but you might be farther ahead starting with a similar 318 car instead then.

Matt

In my humble opinion, no matter what you do to the slant to make it faster, you are likely going to be disappointed. Bolt ons only get you so far, and the change in available power is not as significant as you would think for the money spent.

This is an economy engine and you should consider using it as such. The 2bbl upgrade is a good option if you really want to try something and you will probably notice a difference.

Personally, if I were you, I would move the timing up as much as you can without causing slow cranking or detonation, make sure your rocker arm lash is correct, and the ignition system is in good tune.

What size exhaust does it have ? is the muffler plugged up ? what spark plugs are in it, I would think you have electronic ignition.
Make sure your heat riser is not stuck half closed in your exhaust manifold, this will make it a slug slow /6... doing a 2 1/4'' down pipe to a new muffler and exit with a 2'' will help if your 73 /6 has the idibity 1 5/8 exhaust.. does the /6 have hydraulic lifters (non adjustable)
or solid lifters with adjustable rockers ?.. a good valve adjustment will go a long way if they are in need of adjusting.... New plugs and wire along with setting the timing..
Make sure you don't have drag, wheel bearings, U-joints and rear axle bearings..
Doing these things help get these /6 engines moving and breathing better.
Plane and simple, good tune up, no drag from worn parts, and take the potato out of your exhaust (check that heat riser) it will hold you back)..

I have a grandpa that is a huge mopar guy so i got the brains, and ive decided to do a turbo slant 6, thanks for all your guys help!

Brass Tip Rotor
Standard CH410 Cap

Ebay 8.5mm wires

If you have the spark plug tube head and your engine is stock or mild, my favorite NGK plug is the ZFR5N 3459

peanut plug head I run NGK UR4GP/#2869

Lash the valves to .012 intake and .022 exhaust HOT (use the cork gasket)

Wix Oil Filter and 10-40 GTX

If its a holley 1920 buy a 57 jet and swap out the 62 thats in it

Swap the coil for the 3ohm Petronix 60K volt E Coil and install in on a relay (plug gap .045)

Recurve dizzy for 16 initial, 30 Total by 2500, 52 Vacuum advance with the VC-208 canister (about 5 turns out)

ive decided to do a turbo slant 6, thanks for all your guys help!

That is probably the smartest decision you have aver made.

But, there are lots of details to be attended to in attaching a turbo to a slant six, and lots of different ways to go about it. There are people on this forum who have experience and knowledge about ll this, who will GLADLY help you accomplish this, and will be really useful in helping you to get this done.

First off, you need to tell us what kind of performance you are looking for, so we can help you do this as cheaply as possible.

Write a short description of how you'd like to get this car to run, once it's operational with the turbo. That is, do you want it to run like it had a stock 340 in it, or faster???

You see, it can have as much or as little performance as you want for it, but getting it to that point is all about the "build." If you can be happy with a 14-second car, you may not even have to pull the head off it.

If you'd like to have a low 13-second car, it will be more involved.

Just tell us how you want it tor run... You can, with enough time, money and effort, turn that slant six into an engine that will scare you... LOL !

Let us know what you want... we'll be waiting! :cheers:

That is probably the smartest decision you have aver made.

But, there are lots of details to be attended to in attaching a turbo to a slant six, and lots of different ways to go about it. There are people on this forum who have experience and knowledge about ll this, who will GLADLY help you accomplish this, and will be really useful in helping you to get this done.

First off, you need to tell us what kind of performance you are looking for, so we can help you do this as cheaply as possible.

Write a short description of how you'd like to get this car to run, once it's operational with the turbo. That is, do you want it to run like it had a stock 340 in it, or faster???

You see, it can have as much or as little performance as you want for it, but getting it to that point is all about the "build." If you can be happy with a 14-second car, you may not even have to pull the head off it.

If you'd like to have a low 13-second car, it will be more involved.

Just tell us how you want it tor run... You can, with enough time, money and effort, turn that slant six into an engine that will scare you... LOL !

Let us know what you want... we'll be waiting! :cheers:
Originally I wanted to put a 340 in it so, something in the neighborhood of that, I would be happy with a 12 second mile or faster, so if you could give me an idea of what i need to do and how much i can expect to put into IT.
thanks:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Sounds like you are young and just starting out.
Learn how to tune the slant to run the best it can.
Lubricate everything, suspension, u-joints etc, a 40 year old car needs attention all the time, make it reliable.
For a little get up and go swap rear ends, for something like 3.55 or 3.91, not cheap unless you find a doner car.
The slant is some what easy on fuel, so that means more money in your pocket to take the girlfriend out, etc.

FYI the same car with a factory 318 is a dog is stock form, so work with what you have, make it safe and reliable. Horsepower can come later.

Lubricate everything, suspension, u-joints etc, a 40 year old car needs attention all the time, make it reliable.
For a little get up and go swap rear ends, for something like 3.55 or 3.91, not cheap unless you find a doner car.
The slant is some what easy on fuel, so that means more money in your pocket to take the girlfriend out, etc.

FYI the same car with a factory 318 is a dog is stock form, so work with what you have, make it safe and reliable. Horsepower can come later.

A stock 340 will run low 14's at about 100 mph.

If that's what you want for your /6, it's pretty easily attainable...

You'd need to get a used, super six manifold (2bbl) and a blow-thru modified, Holley 2bbl carb (500 cfm), a PISHTA-designed turbo mount and a properly-sized turbo and waste gate.

You should also buy an alcohol/water injector.

All this will allow you to accomplish this wthout iever pulling the head off, and you can run pump gas (premium.)

That should put you dead-even, or a little ahead of a 340 Duster ('71.)

Below are two pictures of the PISHTA adapter/turbo-mount... the best way to do this.

Attachments

• pishtaturbo.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 247
  • PISHTAFRONT.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 286

I have already put a bigger rearend in and had my u joints replaced, and pretty much rebuilt the whole front end (after a run in with an icy road and curb:banghead::banghead:) She runs great now i just something more than just a grocery getter you know. Im getting real excited about buildin her into a turbo car. thanks for all your help guys!!

-
Back