Slant 6 to 318 conversion

-

lud

Reaction score
So I have some cash to throw around and after smacking a deer with my 82 dodge pickup, I'm gonna have it in the barn and the front clip off. So I amise aswell throw the 318 I got sitting here in it while I'm at it. I currently have a 63 slant, in my 82 dodge, with a A833 O/D behind it all. I want to keep my A833 cuz it's been bullet proof. So far as a list of parts in the summit shopping cart, I have a
-lakewood lk7000 bellhousing
-McLeod Racing 75109 - McLeod StreetPro Clutch Kits
-Perfection Clutch 50-3409 - Perfection OE Replacement Flywheels

What else am I missing. Will I need any devider plate or dust cover? Inspection cover? Bushings or anything? I have the engine mounts and rad and all that, just need to know what I need exactly to hook it upto the A833 I got. Unfortunately the motor came off of a automatic so I have to get all this stuff separately. Appreciate the help! Or on the other hand, if anyone has one of them A833 to chevy manual bellhousings and is located within a state or two of central Michigan lmk. I have a couple chevy 383 strokers that seem alot more fun than a stock 85 318.

Keep your Mopar all Mopar. Those 383 Chevy motors belong in S-10, not Dodge trucks.
And on brand of clutch that brand needs to be used. Their very brand is false advertising
They're garbage

Update- found a used trans with bellhousing and flywheel, ordered the clutch specified above. Reviews seemed good. Put flywheel on motor and attached the bellhousing only to than realize I don't have the inspection plate or dust cover. Can't find them for less than 100$ a peice on ebay. (Not paying that for two small prices of metal) if anyone has a set. Lmk until than I'll keep searching.

Did Your 318 have a pilot bushing in the crank?
Was the flywheel balance correct for your engine?
Is the replacement trans also an A833overdrive?
Will the shifter levers bolt on correctly?
Did your BH come with the correct fork and Z-bar, and anchor?
Does the Trans output shaft fit your Driveshaft yoke?
Did you transfer the speed-O-gear over?

If you installed a V8 3-Finger BnB clutch, You may encounter excessive pedal effort. If you do, the proper solution is to Swap out the pedal-box to one from a V8 truck. Second best is to modify your pedal ratio.

Last edited:
did Your 318 have a pilot bushing in the crank?
A what? The 318 I have was originally connected to a automatic. Now it's connected to a manual. Just need a dust/inspection plate and the thin metal shim peice that goes between bellhousing and engine near the starter.

Should have gone with a different brand of clutch kit!!!! Sorry speaking with experience.
AT LEAST do not use the plastic housing POS throw out bearing that perfection packages in their kits. After 2x having to redo the clutch in my Dakota on account of that POS within 5000 miles of install I returned the perfection kit, took my refund and went elsewhere and bought a LuK clutch kit, 72k miles later when I wrecked that truck the clutch was still fine

Did Your 318 have a pilot bushing in the crank?
Was the flywheel balance correct for your engine?
Is the replacement trans also an A833overdrive?
Will the shifter levers bolt on correctly?
Did your BH come with the correct fork and Z-bar, and anchor?
Does the Trans output shaft fit your Driveshaft yoke?
Did you transfer the speed-O-gear over?

If you installed a V8 3-Finger BnB clutch, You may encounter excessive pedal effort. If you do, the proper solution is to Swap out the pedal-box to one from a V8 truck. Second best is to modify your pedal ratio.
I feel although your over complicating things... cuz ima be honest I found sum that looks close enough, and it bolted right up. No reason it shouldn't work. Atleast for my application it should work fine.

Should have gone with a different brand of clutch kit!!!! Sorry speaking with experience.
AT LEAST do not use the plastic housing POS throw out bearing that perfection packages in their kits. After 2x having to redo the clutch in my Dakota on account of that POS within 5000 miles of install I returned the perfection kit, took my refund and went elsewhere and bought a LuK clutch kit, 72k miles later when I wrecked that truck the clutch was still fine
We will see, wish i read this before ordering

A what? The 318 I have was originally connected to a automatic. Now it's connected to a manual. Just need a dust/inspection plate and the thin metal shim peice that goes between bellhousing and engine near the starter.
I'll bet he didn't even look, has no idea what this is.

-
Back