Slant 6 turbocharging- yea or nay?

-
not my post
i just had a custom cam made from lunati and they told me they could do a roller but it was going to be about 1,000 bucks.

My question, why a roller cam for a slant six? For less friction or faster lift rates? If for faster lift rates, why not consider a "mushroom" tappet cam. Almost any cam grinder can do those, for about the same price as a regular cam (uses the same blank). Mushroom tappets are readily available (might/probably have to bush the lifter bore). I have a V-dub mushroom lifter right in front of me. Has a base of 1.120 diameter, body dia .742, lenght 2.065, push rod depth about .950 . It does look like the radius for the pushrod ball is smaller then the slant six dia, but this would require custom PR, anyway. The VW is not the only mushroom lifter available, either.

If for lower friction, is that worth $1,000 plus?

not my post

My question, why a roller cam for a slant six? For less friction or faster lift rates? If for faster lift rates, why not consider a "mushroom" tappet cam. Almost any cam grinder can do those, for about the same price as a regular cam (uses the same blank). Mushroom tappets are readily available (might/probably have to bush the lifter bore). I have a V-dub mushroom lifter right in front of me. Has a base of 1.120 diameter, body dia .742, lenght 2.065, push rod depth about .950 . It does look like the radius for the pushrod ball is smaller then the slant six dia, but this would require custom PR, anyway. The VW is not the only mushroom lifter available, either.

If for lower friction, is that worth $1,000 plus?

Charlie,

Personally, I am apprehensive about the possibility of a flat tappet's life expectancy in this world of ZDDP-free oil. Add too much of it, and it's almost as bad as not having enough. A flat cam makes a hell of a mess inside an engine, and this is generally a problem that you generally don't have with rollers.

No, I simply can't afford a thousand dollar cam...

But, I wish I could.

Bill

440 roller lifters would work as they are the same diameter as a slant six however the lifter spacing is probably different and would need a custom type of link bar.

Bill, there are plenty of oils (ZDDP included) out there that will satisfy your needs. Ryan and I both run Amsoil synthetic.

440 roller lifters would work as they are the same diameter as a slant six however the lifter spacing is probably different and would need a custom type of link bar.

Bill, there are plenty of oils (ZDDP included) out there that will satisfy your needs. Ryan and I both run Amsoil synthetic.

Thanks, Tom.

Well, slant 6's do have several things going for them as regards flat tappets.

1. Light valves, because they are (compared to V8's) small diameter.

2. the rockers are only (stock) 1.5:1, which is easy on the cam, compared to hi-lifts.

3. In the case of a 225, low rpm limits, because of the long stroke. We'll only run ours 6,000, tops. This doesn't require much valve spring pressure.

Add all that up, and only conservative valve spring pressures are necessary. Of course, if you build a 170, the sky's the limit on rpm's, so all bets are off in regards to valve spring pressure.

I can live with it...8)

Bill

Bill, why run the thing to 6,000? I shift at 5200 and don't plan to spin it any higher. I also have Comp Cams dual springs rated for a .650 lift. I thought I needed some seat pressure to prevent the intake valve from opening under boost. 3 seasons so far and no cam issue. Later

Yea or nay?

I say hell yeah!
Slants are amazing as they are, add a turbo and the cool factor goes up 10 fold

Bill, why run the thing to 6,000? I shift at 5200 and don't plan to spin it any higher. I also have Comp Cams dual springs rated for a .650 lift. I thought I needed some seat pressure to prevent the intake valve from opening under boost. 3 seasons so far and no cam issue. Later

Ryan, I am in no position to argue with you... I haven't even started my engine up yet, and you're already running mid-tens! With a 727, yet....

To my way of thinking, if you haven't experimented at the strip, by winding yours all the way up to 6 grand, how can you be sure it won't be quicker than "short-shifting" it at 5,200???

That is, unless you "sit up in the seat" after 5,200. I'm hoping ours won't give up that early, but we have a bigger exhaust turbine wheel and a bigger carb (750) along with a Hurricane intake, so maybe it will like the higher rpm better??? Dunno, yet, but it's possible.

We'll see... early next year.

Bill

why not add a Ron's flying toilet injected on Alcohol? Should help to add a few ponies and help keep your engine temp down.

just a thought

Okeh, so you disagree with what the actual, real chief engineer of the slant-6 has to say (in great detail and with strong documentary evidence) on the subject. That's a little strange of you, but whatever. Have you read Weertman's books?
And just like that, another person gobbled up by SSD's beard after making incorrect statements.:toothy10:

Here's a view of hos new motor; that was his old, almost stock motor....

YouTube - Turbo charged Slant 6 11.02 @ 120.56
Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3500 pounds and HP of 500 is 11.14 seconds and MPH of 120.24 MPH.

Is this close, Tom?

Correction, I have seen 500 h.p. slants. I just didn't know it. But to my credit, the dyno video, didn't seem as lively as some 500 h.p. engines I've seen before.

Correction, I have seen 500 h.p. slants. I just didn't know it. But to my credit, the dyno video, didn't seem as lively as some 500 h.p. engines I've seen before.

That dyno test was from a few years ago with the old engine. I was still experimenting at that time. As a guess, it was making close to 450hp but had more boost going into it than the new engine.

Also, the weight on the 11.14 pass was closer to 3,300lbs & not 3,500. I had skinny tires on the car last year and added ballest to get the car to hook. It has been long since removed.

Mine will see 6,000 (rarely) in the burn out box but never on the track. Won't rev over 5400 under load. Probably to do with the small cam. My quickest runs were made driving through the converter and 5400 basically the whole way down. Felt like a snowmobile!! New converter this winter!! Later

-
Back