Slant 6 with 200r4?

-
I didn't say they could not hold up. Only that the 200 was better.

A lot of people don't understand that there are at least THREE types of 200 transmissions. When I speak of them, I am always referring to the model that cam in the Grand National cars. They are NOT all the same. But I am sure you are aware of that.

Yep...GN's got the best ones, though the Monte Carlo, 4-4-2,and Hurst-Olds got upgraded ones. So did some B-bodies (seems to be wagons and some Caddys). Also, the later the TH-200-4R, the better it is as a core! (Mine came from, IIRC, a 1986 Cutlass.)

Per my wife's request, I will not post pictures of myself or my car. I think she's paranoid, but I will respect her wishes.

And note: I have seen a TH700 hold up behind a 502 crate engine in a Pace Arrow tag-axle motorhome, pulling a 6500lb enclosed car transporter (containing a Super Bee). The Bee also has a 700, behind its EFI 426 hemi. (The owner owns a shop that builds race/towing 700's.) My only real complaint with it is the large 1-2 ratio split.

and that is why its terrible for a slant... the 200 has the same ratio's as a 904 but with an OD.

now what are the differences between the 200?

Basically, better internal parts...sort of like the internal differences between a 727 behind a 2bbl 383 and one behind a 426 Hemi. :) Extra clutch packs, stronger planetaries, different governers, etc. I recall the lo-po 200's wouldn't lock the converter at WOT.

If junkyard picking, you most likely donor for a good one would be a Monte Carlo SS (look for a third brake light...that's 1986-88) or a Cadillac Fleetwood with an Olds 307 (third brake light is 1986-90, composite headlights are 1987-90). If the engine has the oil filler in the valve cover or has EFI, it's a Chevy 305, NOT an Olds 307...the Olds will use a separate fill tube in the front of the intake and all used Q-jet carbs.

Basically, better internal parts...sort of like the internal differences between a 727 behind a 2bbl 383 and one behind a 426 Hemi. :) Extra clutch packs, stronger planetaries, different governers, etc. I recall the lo-po 200's wouldn't lock the converter at WOT.

If junkyard picking, you most likely donor for a good one would be a Monte Carlo SS (look for a third brake light...that's 1986-88) or a Cadillac Fleetwood with an Olds 307 (third brake light is 1986-90, composite headlights are 1987-90). If the engine has the oil filler in the valve cover or has EFI, it's a Chevy 305, NOT an Olds 307...the Olds will use a separate fill tube in the front of the intake and all used Q-jet carbs.

As Ed said, that 200-4-r (not 200-r-4) was the standard-issue tranny behind the turbo V-6 that came in the Buick Grand Nationals in the late eighties, I believe. That transmisssion was said to have some upgrades that made it capable of handling the increased output from that engine. Lots of GN owners don't like it for its high parasitic drag, however and end up replacing it with a 3-speed Pro Trans or a 2-speed Powerglide for better e.t.'s so, there are some in junkyards, but not many.

The TH-200-4R was the ONLY transmission ever used behind the turbo Buick engines...yes, even the 1989 Turbo Trans Am got them!

Ed,

There are a LOT of turbo Buick V-6's making enough horsepower to put those 3,600-pound sleds into the tens... and some in the 8's an 9's using that (200-4-R) transmission... I don't think it's weak....

Correct. I remember when the cars were new. Knew a guy that bought a new one in fact. All he did was chip it and put slicks on it. Instant tens. NO other mods. It had factory 4.10s already.

I did some lookin and there's no way his car was that fast with those two mods alone. But It WAS a 10 second car. I remember solid 10.70s. I will call him tomorrow as we still keep in touch and see what all he did to it. It wasn't a ton, I remember that. It was an 87 GNX. It was bad.

Correct. I remember when the cars were new. Knew a guy that bought a new one in fact. All he did was chip it and put slicks on it. Instant tens. NO other mods. It had factory 4.10s already.

I did some lookin and there's no way his car was that fast with those two mods alone. But It WAS a 10 second car. I remember solid 10.70s. I will call him tomorrow as we still keep in touch and see what all he did to it. It wasn't a ton, I remember that. It was an 87 GNX. It was bad.

That will be interesting. SOME of the really serious Buick guys put a Powerglide in their cars, but the great bulk of them leave the 200 in it and they don't seem to have a lot of mechanical problems with them, even running tens...

That was my point... they seem to be able to handle 600-700 horsepower...

-
Back