Slant Six Coolant Drain

-

dodgedart1968

Reaction score
Is this block plug a coolant drain? I have removed all hoses from the engine, opened the radiator drain and removed the water pump. I'm wondering if I can drain more coolant by removing this plug.

20211119_152409.jpg

Forgive me for labelling this "silly question"... If the engine isn't running it wont shoot oil out. How about we bet a quarter? Take it out and know if there is coolant or oil behind it. I'll bet another dollar it wont be blood. Cheers

Is this block plug a coolant drain? I have removed all hoses from the engine, opened the radiator drain and removed the water pump. I'm wondering if I can drain more coolant by removing this plug.

View attachment 1715822683

Yes, and YES
After removeing the plug, you will probably have to "poke" in there with a screwdriver or such, to clear the rust and sediment.

@dodgedart1968 thank you for asking this question, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the plug yesterday. I have an overheating issue on a 1963 AP5 and I really want to ensure I get the cooling system as clean as possible.

@dodgedart1968 thank you for asking this question, I spent quite a bit of time trying to find the plug yesterday. I have an overheating issue on a 1963 AP5 and I really want to ensure I get the cooling system as clean as possible.
If you look closely at the image I posted, you can see that it is located just behind the oil filter mount.

If you look closely at the image I posted, you can see that it is located just behind the oil filter mount.
It must be different on the AP5 as it is on the drivers side just behind the distributor. I couldn’t budge it, and I was worried about snapping it off.

It must be different on the AP5 as it is on the drivers side just behind the distributor. I couldn’t budge it, and I was worried about snapping it off.
Same here. I got a nice tight six-point on mine, but the plug was so stuck that it began to deform.

@MeegsAp5 Oz model, driver side IS distributor side. :p IIRC you have a remote oil setup to allow the steering box to clear the spark plug side.
Do a caustic block flush with muriatic acid, and finish off with a baking soda neutralizer rinse. Its amazing what comes out with a power flush with a hose. even more amazing is when you remove the core plugs and use a high pressure washer.

-
Back